What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Fans as Defrosters

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I would like to use the two fans above the panel as defrosters, ie, pulling air from inside the subpanel towards the forward canopy. But, will this compromise cooling for the avionics? I was thinking since hot air rises, the fans would help evacuate the hot air in the avionics bay and simultaneously clear the windscreen. Flaws in this ointment? Or would this work?

I would like to use the two fans above the panel as defrosters, ie, pulling air from inside the subpanel towards the forward canopy. But, will this compromise cooling for the avionics? I was thinking since hot air rises, the fans would help evacuate the hot air in the avionics bay and simultaneously clear the windscreen. Flaws in this ointment? Or would this work?

Since the space available is tight I used six little ones. Works great!

I think it’s a great idea…two birds/one stone etc. My windscreen rarely fogs, and when it does it’s usually on cool spring mornings and it clears readily. Those fans come in a couple of different sizes and varying airflows. It wouldnt’ take much. I use an 80mm / 72cfm in the oil door opening for evacuating the engine compartment after landing to mitigate problems with hot short-turnaround restarts. Very effective, but you wouldn‘t need that much airflow for de-fogging the windshield. Those 12v fans are cheap from Amazon.

Attachments

• 99504ACB-0133-4BB6-AE38-45E275C135FE.jpg
    99504ACB-0133-4BB6-AE38-45E275C135FE.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 107
Back