What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 45 - new oil door hardware

iamtheari

Well Known Member
While looking for updates today, I noticed a couple of recent items. One is on page 45-24, using a plastic bushing for the oil door hinges rather than having them rotate on the bolt, due to observed wear in the original design.

I got my oil door done just before this change was made. I'm considering retrofitting, maybe after a year of flying.

It looks like I would only need to buy the TFI-0304-04 plastic bushings and ensure I have a proper stock of the bolts (AN3-4A replaces AN3-4), nuts (MS21042-3 replaces AN310-3), and washers (add NAS1149F0432P). Then drill out the COWL-00005A and COWL-00005B hinge holes to 1/4, if I can get a drill to the holes safely.

Has anyone else looked at this already?

It looks like I would only need to buy the TFI-0304-04 plastic bushings and ensure I have a proper stock of the bolts (AN3-4A replaces AN3-4), nuts (MS21042-3 replaces AN310-3), and washers (add NAS1149F0432P). Then drill out the COWL-00005A and COWL-00005B hinge holes to 1/4, if I can get a drill to the holes safely.

I can't speak of the oil door hinge change , but just an observation that a ¼" hole for an AN3 bolt seems a bit sloppy. I think I would like to see a tighter fit there.

-Marc

I can't speak of the oil door hinge change , but just an observation that a ¼" hole for an AN3 bolt seems a bit sloppy. I think I would like to see a tighter fit there.

-Marc

Take a look at the updated plans from Van's. The plastic bushing is apparently 1/4" O.D., as it goes through the hinges as well as the NAS1149F0432P washer. And it must be 3/16" I.D. for the AN3 bolt. The change is that the plastic bushing rotates in the hinge and the plastic wears, instead of the original design where the bolt rotates in the hinge and the hinge itself wears.

Back