What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9A as wind vane Brits Flying Club

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Brits Flying Club in South Africa is now showing off with an RV9A as a wind vane.

A bit of a sad story as this RV have been imported in flying condition from the USA. It was really one of the worst examples I have ever seen and it has also been discovered that the wing spars have been grinded down to fit into the spar box. Needles to say it had to be scrapped and was in storage for many years.

I am so glad that my friends at Brits Flying Club, with Roel Jansen the main man, has completed this project and that this RV can at least feel some wind blowing over it's wing again.

Yes it does swivel with the wind and the prop is windmilling.

Attachments

• Wind Vane 01.JPG
    Wind Vane 01.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Wind Vane 02.JPG
    Wind Vane 02.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Wind Vane 03.JPG
    Wind Vane 03.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 305
I remember when we had a thread here discussing that very airplane (or at least one suspiciously similar). I've been wondering where it would finally turn up.

Wow, from someone's proud new aircraft purchase to perched on a weathervane. Very sad, and must have been a painful experience for the original importer/purchaser.

just curious; what was so awful about it that it wasn't even worth scrapping out for airframe parts?

If it's the airplane I remember from our previous thread, it had poor workmanship all the way through. And of course, the wing spar stubs had been roughly ground down to fit into the 904 spar box that the builder had made too narrow. There was basically nothing there that any reasonable person would want to incorporate in their build.

As for things like engine, propeller, wheels, brakes, etc., I'd bet that whatever wasn't broke or abused was saved, and what we see in the pictures are mockups or wheelbarrow parts.

Not an RV but at least I kept with the name of my airport. I have a regular windsock but my longhorn cow also moves with the wind.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    5.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    4.8 MB · Views: 76
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    4.8 MB · Views: 64
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg