What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3i Spark Plug Harness?

Tram

Well Known Member
So.. Looks like you can buy it or build it..

Just for those who have purchased the $30 plans to build your own, was it worth building your own versus having the pre-made kit and going from there?

Any idea what the savings looks like with the DIY $30 pdf versus buying the $225 read to go kit?

I'm still on dual Bendix mags and looking at swapping to auto plugs, considering the G3i setup.

I spent the $30 for the SLICK instructions. I will be buying the build it kit in the future. Sorta on the back burner or I would have the kit already.

I want to be able to FIX the harness when it breaks. Maybe it will never break but having the ability to build will make it easy to fix when away from home.

E-Magair also has you build the harness for their products. Should not be a big deal making it for the Slick or Bendix mags as the termination in the cap is the only difference.

I spent the $30 for the SLICK instructions. I will be buying the build it kit in the future. Sorta on the back burner or I would have the kit already.

I want to be able to FIX the harness when it breaks. Maybe it will never break but having the ability to build will make it easy to fix when away from home.

E-Magair also has you build the harness for their products. Should not be a big deal making it for the Slick or Bendix mags as the termination in the cap is the only difference.

So far everyone I've spoken with who has done the conversion loves it. Being able to run a $4 plug would be nice to just swap them out every inspection.

I bought a premade harness. I suppose one could reverse engineer a repair for broken / damaged lead even if you did not make the original. The harness is nice. We've been using the 3961 plugs at little over $2 / plug:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L47XQG2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_TVYE9WHF7JYDBEX6QBJB?_encoding=UTF8

My cylinders are tapped for automotive 14mm plugs so I don't require adapters. If I had the larger 18mm tapped plug holes I might seek out an 18mm plug as opposed to adapters. Perhaps the NGK DR8EA 7162 may work?

We've been discarding the plugs / replacing with new at annual. Anecdotally the motor does seem to run smoother with these plugs and wires as compared to the old stock wires and plugs my motor had previously. The G3I wires are larger diameter than stock so they will not fit through the stock baffle grommets.

Back