What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 and NAV

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
I cant seem to find a list of NAVs that will let the G5 populate the van data on the screen and use the Flight Director.

Anyone have a list?

Thanks!

Todd

I cant seem to find a list of NAVs that will let the G5 populate the van data on the screen and use the Flight Director.

Anyone have a list?

Thanks!

Todd

Hello Todd,

To use the flight director, you would need to have a G5 based autopilot, but once you have that there is a wide variety of digital navigators that can be used including the Aera 660 example shown below. With the Aera 660 you can fly NAV coupled anywhere in the world and even use the VNAV function for coupled VNAV descents from cruise altitude to pattern altitude.

Supported navigators include Garmin Portables using NMEA out, GDU 37X, GDU 4XX, SL30, GNC 255, GNS 4XX/5XX/4XXW/5XXW, and GTN 6XX/7XX.

We recommend the dual G5 installation with an HSI for flying IFR since some of the required indications are only available on the HSI.

9lOtSdw7nM7-RwrvvKwsMuKOWSjK2oXuPm16faqZrYMM2jtaEIGxPlHM4ybXEB34pTINjNU7k6REm4X4mKhlIN34IYq147jCG70VOFK-bBk7m4mxAuyghr1vXsFJ0xftzAvCkxf5FV2Ld_PjfhV9PElLO6RTHgGeRK2tgX0mPpBbWRMPdoAQxS2D-AKEepssJjD_HpLg8OZYHrLdplwfvpQFqAJOtgwjnYpfZ8SvFe7l36gsEJa670kReNJSes6k4M8T2bPtWXVRYPT9mjbFbTg4hgPFuEQdSqtjBQUWiA1WBC0YoNQC-z6_QmFCb22lgiE1aEkOxoURPSlBYnb9EWZpKGN5aYu55IGMn4-RAJWF_alhufuxclF8fMl7q4jyFfIXvNHX31NeDeHr3dDYQVJLJ29atgNFsdN_R2dyr6uTPiE1Zen3vWFbthtEueX0kUp4zjCJe4ta_PQpkgJzsN9FDX8ljbZ9C1kSIb9Sp6yazsqlVBexaso7OrbXAPGQNfY5esyhsQPOl7tN8vfZi5Om35alNZHMCjJ72_7xgCnX_wvF7WIBPTpofqR_ZDM4BumXsaUQ-BzJDQrKDjUZQb3bpnavC-JxnwEqaV4=w490-h754-no

iR4ESG5g7j1BXFxQeeTSL0zZqqpx0knkmikYs8KTZOJLWlngn6mGVp2PPxNYzOtbHw1AfXVhj_n9IgZw7UcboSIpUk6l4ksAR7MSk6HP1pEn4qV-AQIhas_LUelcbkvysJxSKUB_M7490PzCfv5zmaG_4NWcxnTD4lpvz3ChYRo2fVYys8oq2pv93-6ddn0sfBPWu2MO2ByparMvPy-m8MzWJU71tsCClMXqaFYEc2gq-goryBgy5TKirOWn5GilGbTa5CT7rRPiWFWBJLlNn-DNv2mFlt9m_BITJcoevw7ZxUS2cXLptOt_4lbajvBr08QJOiNwtek4tX0xDIorvIZ7bsRrnpH916oc-JwJmGfufU9OxxuU_djNFFMaVkggyzLRFgeF3bCf2jvAMRmvv8T8ozz0TLUxE8mxSA2YTk7ROh-WWlo5keibzOXbn39Mx0Aiyf1-z_aj88VV-yCtOoHQcVV7bTucYKCcKQEfoh1y-LzcwRXTmviIYQdVdkHMCwr616ArxNsIjGBW9OFhwyNGaFMDya242EKponuSu_0GcQdcwpkk0LKhdPEIfrA9_tea0WOF6bWjShG8Tafg4qFXv9qNu4mfmIvc-0c=w494-h754-no

Thanks,
Steve

G5 & GRT Sport EX

Will the G5 connect to the GRT Sport EX to provide GPS data or other backup data?

Will the G5 connect to the GRT Sport EX to provide GPS data or other backup data?

Hello John,

The RS-232 output on the G5 can be configured to provide NMEA format GPS data from it's internal GPS if that is useful in the installation.

Thanks,
Steve

Just thinking out load here...

What about these components. Do you see where I may be lacking any ability that is unforeseen by my novice mind.

Garmin 300XL
G5
Garmin Autopilot
Magnetometer

Later expanding to:
Garmin G3X (non touch)
Garmin Autopilot Head (GNC 307)
VAL INS 429 VOR/ILS

(Really curious is the VAL INS 429 would talk nice with the G5 and G3X)

Thanks for your help.

mmmh, reading thru the G5 IM, I was a bit puzzled (disappointed) about the autopilot requirement to get a flight director presentation...
Retired from the airlines, the aircraft I flew all had the FD use with or without the AP. As a matter of fact, quite often the AP is following, logically if one thinks about it, the FD.

In my almost finished dual G5, OAT, magnetometer, and GNX375 but no AP install, having the possibility to have an FD presented once an approach has been activated would be a great plus, even more so to fly a missed procedure...

They will probably answer, but i think both the autopilot control and FD generation occurs in the GMC-507 box.

Retired from the airlines, the aircraft I flew all had the FD use with or without the AP. As a matter of fact, quite often the AP is following, logically if one thinks about it, the FD.

Garmin has the closest design to an airline cockpit. Adding a GMC 507 gives you a Mode Control Panel to control the flight director just like in a transport airplane. Add the servos and then you get the functionality of an autopilot.

Guess it is a matter of design philosophy.
How does it work with a VHF/NAV, are a GMC and servos also required to display an FD with LOC/GS signals?

Design philosophy

Its funny but almost 30 years ago when I started my RV4, the philosophy was to make it as much unlike the airliner as possible. :)

A great airplane to maintain those perishable skills like holding a heading and an altitude.
Cm

So this thread looks like an appropriate place to ask a question;

I’m starting soon on a panel upgrade that will include 2 G5s, a GNX 375 and a Aera 660. My current autopilot is a TT Vizion 385 but I’m thinking of ditching that in favor of the Garmin AP G5/GMC507 combo.

So far I know diddly squat about how the 375 and 660 will “talk” to the G5s to drive the autopilot; do I need a “GPS select” switch to pick which GPS drives the AP? I’m thinking there will be times when it will be easier to pick a waypoint and hit “direct, enter” on the bigger screen 660, but for IFR stuff, the 375 should be driving the AP... or will the system just talk to each other automagically?

My panel will be almost exactly the pic below, but I just gotta get my head around the connectivity details...

Thanks!

Last edited:
So this thread looks like an appropriate place to ask a question;

I’m starting soon on a panel upgrade that will include 2 G5s, a GNX 375 and a Aera 660. My current autopilot is a TT Vizion 385 but I’m thinking of ditching that in favor of the Garmin AP G5/GMC507 combo.

So far I know diddly squat about how the 375 and 660 will “talk” to the G5s to drive the autopilot; do I need a “GPS select” switch to pick which GPS drives the AP? I’m thinking there will be times when it will be easier to pick a waypoint and hit “direct, enter” on the bigger screen 660, but for IFR stuff, the 375 should be driving the AP... or will the system just talk to each other automagically?

My panel will be almost exactly the pic below, but I just gotta get my head around the connectivity details...

Thanks!

Hi John,

Page 7-11 of the G5 Installation Manual details the connectivity pinout of the G5/Aerav660/GNX375, as well as the configuration settings.

NAV selection takes place on the G5 by depressing the front knob to access the main menu, where you can select 'GPS1 or GPS2' as the NAV source. Section 2.3.1 of the G5 Experimental Pilot's Guide explains this operation in more detail.

Best Regards,

Brad

Last edited:
Hi John,

Page 7-11 of the G5 Installation Manual details the connectivity pinout of the G5/Aerav660/GNX375, as well as the configuration settings.

NAV selection takes place on the G5 by depressing the front knob to access the main menu, where you can select 'GPS1 or GPS2' as the NAV source. Section 2.3.1 of the G5 Experimental Pilot's Guide explains this operation in more detail.

Best Regards,

Brad

Oh. That's so simple, duh. Who knew that this would be in the book? :eek:

Thanks Brad!

Quick off topic question...

G3Expert...is there a "mod" for the G5 to increase the max speed beyond the 300 kts? You can PM if you want.

G3Expert...is there a "mod" for the G5 to increase the max speed beyond the 300 kts? You can PM if you want.
Hello Tim,

No the max airspeed of the G5 is limited to 300 kts indicated (not TAS). The unit would need to use a different differential pressure sensor for airspeed to extend that range.

We currently offer a GSU 25D ADAHRS for G3X Touch systems that extends the airspeed range to 465 kts indicated, but no such version of the G5 is available.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi John,

Best Regards,

Brad

Revisiting this thread as I'm getting towards the finish line on my panel upgrade; I wired my G5, GNX375 and Aera 660 according to the G5 Installation Manual, Rev. 5, Figure 7-11, "G5/GAD29 to Aera/GNX375 Dual Nav Interconnect Drawing". One thing I did that this drawing doesn't show was connect the 660 #2 RS232 com port to the GNX375 #1 232 com port so that I'd have MapMX data from the 375. Why doesn't the 7-11 drawing show that? Gotta look at multiple drawings to get all the info... but I digress.

The G5 menu works as Brad mentioned to select the GPS Nav source. My only apparent "glitch" now is the identification of which GPS is considered GPS1 and GPS2. I set the configuration guidance according to 7-11, but my Aera 660 is shown as GPS1 and the panel mount IFR capable GNX375 is GPS2. Seems kinda backwards to me; it's not a huge deal I guess since I can just make GPS1/2 labels... but is there a setting I can change to make the 375 as GPS1 and the 660 as GPS2? I fiddled a bit with com port settings but had no luck.

Thanks!

Revisiting this thread as I'm getting towards the finish line on my panel upgrade; I wired my G5, GNX375 and Aera 660 according to the G5 Installation Manual, Rev. 5, Figure 7-11, "G5/GAD29 to Aera/GNX375 Dual Nav Interconnect Drawing". One thing I did that this drawing doesn't show was connect the 660 #2 RS232 com port to the GNX375 #1 232 com port so that I'd have MapMX data from the 375. Why doesn't the 7-11 drawing show that? Gotta look at multiple drawings to get all the info... but I digress.

The G5 menu works as Brad mentioned to select the GPS Nav source. My only apparent "glitch" now is the identification of which GPS is considered GPS1 and GPS2. I set the configuration guidance according to 7-11, but my Aera 660 is shown as GPS1 and the panel mount IFR capable GNX375 is GPS2. Seems kinda backwards to me; it's not a huge deal I guess since I can just make GPS1/2 labels... but is there a setting I can change to make the 375 as GPS1 and the 660 as GPS2? I fiddled a bit with com port settings but had no luck.

Thanks!

With 2 GPS sources, whichever unit is connected via RS232 will be GPS 1. In your case, the Aera 660 can only be connected via RS232, so it will be GPS1 and the GNX 375 will be GPS2.

Thanks,

Justin

With 2 GPS sources, whichever unit is connected via RS232 will be GPS 1. In your case, the Aera 660 can only be connected via RS232, so it will be GPS1 and the GNX 375 will be GPS2.

Thanks,

Justin
Well there ya go, makes for an easy fix with the label printer.

Thanks Justin for the quick response!

Back