What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance 2000c Install Questions

szicree

Well Known Member
Can I mount my GPS antenna on the front of the firewall underneath the cowl?

How do I get this thing to talk to my TruTrak ADI? The Lowrance came with a cig lighter adapter that plugs into a multi-pin socket on its backside, but I see no wire to take to my ADI. Confused. :confused:

hooking up the Airmaps

Steve, this is what you need:

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/detail.asp?id=4091

This data/power cable is listed for the Airmap 100 but it works perfectly for the 1000/2000C as well. The pinouts are the same on all these units. You can pull power off your avionics bus and send it to the unit via the cable and use the white wire for the NMEA send to the TruTrak. Work through the GPS setup menu and make sure NMEA is turned on and the Airmap and TruTrak should begin a wonderful relationship. :cool:

Yes, you may mount the antenna on the top tube of the engine mount. My hangar mate has his Airmap 1000 antenna located on the engine mount and it works flawlessly.

Sam Beats Lowrance

Hi, Sam,

I'm on hold for a techie at Lowrance to ask the same question about pinouts (except it's a 1000). So I surfed to this thread while waiting, and lo and behold....

You won the race. I'm still on hold.

John Siebold

You won the race. I'm still on hold.

Hello John,

Based on my experience with Lowrance, I may have won the race but may still not be runnin' very fast! :D

I have the 1000 and the old cable I was using with the 100 was plug-n-play with the 1000. There is some conflicting info on the Lowrance site about the 1000/2000C needing a 5vdc supply but I (eventually) confirmed with Lowrance tech that only the 500 uses 5vdc. The big units need 12vdc, same as the old 100.

Lowrance doesn't even show a data/power cable on their site for the 1000/2000C! To find the 100 cable you have to do some real digging on their site. Guess they never figured somebody might want to actually use the NMEA data feed from the units. ;)

Easier Said Than Done

Whelp....

Now I know why Garmin gets the big bucks. They're vastly more organized, apparently so, than Lowrance. All I had to do was fish the data wires out of the cable supplied with my 196 and connect to the autopilot. The owner's manual even showed the pinouts. Lowrance is utterly confused, along the lines of what you just pointed out, Sam. I've found the same non-information from their web site and tech. Now, Lowrance techie says NDC-4 is the one to use, but the site lists for it about every application but the 1000. He said he would fax a diagram of the pinouts; nothing received. I've phoned three suppliers and they are back ordered on the NDC-2. All this for want of one bloody pinout.

And Lowrance wants $18 for what P/G Coast Avionics lists for $10.

Sam, which of the pins on the 1000 is the data pin?

John (mad as a wet hen) Siebold

Ta-da!

Much obligued, Sam.

Wouldn't you just know it, the wire with the good data is white.

John Siebold

I have the 2000c.....Tru-trak ADI-I.....and Dynon EMS-10. I have also ordered the cable mentioned in an earlier post. Also, I understand how to connect and configure the 2000c to either the tru-trak or the EMS-10.

Now the question I have is......can I have the 2000c output connected to both the tru-trak and EMS-10 at the same time, or do I have to have a switch to change the 2000c output to one or the other??

Now the question I have is......can I have the 2000c output connected to both the tru-trak and EMS-10 at the same time, or do I have to have a switch to change the 2000c output to one or the other??

Capt Kirk, I have my 1000 feeding both the Trio EZ-Pilot and the Dynon D10A. The setup works fine with the data lines just spliced together...no switch.

I have been told by one of our local Rvers that sometimes you will find a couple of devices that won't play nice when spliced together. Seems the voltage may not be high enough on the serial feed to keep both units happy. But you won't damage anything by trying and there is a very good chance your setup will work fine just as mine does. If you do have data issues, there is a little preamp/splitter thing that can be quickly lashed together. Let us know if you have problems and I'll get you in touch with our local electronics guru who can help you with the amp.

Lowrance

I had no trouble finding the right part for my 2000C, but then I talked with and browsed lei-extras, not Lowrance. I had my cable to link my 2000C with my TT ADI in a matter of day. Been using it for almost a year and love it.
Now, if they would only wake up and get XM Weather capabilities!

Lowrance

Thanks for the quick reply, and that is wanted I wanted to hear! Hopefully, I will not have any problems.

BTW, I ordered my cable from Gulf Coast last Wednesday and I have not received it yet.

First flight is just a few days away.......

DanLandry said:
I ordered the cable for the 2000c to hookup my EZ-Pilot.
You will need the NDC-2 part number 101-36 from
http://www.lei-extras.com

Unfortunately, there is a 2 week leadtime. Go figure, you'd think this would be a stock item.

Correction. Talked to LEI today, it's now a 5 week leadtime.
I can't believe a company this size does not stock a standard gps cable for their unit.
Anyone have a different source for their cable?

Last edited:
Extra wires in NDC-2 Cable

I just got my NDC-2 Cable for my Lowrance 2000c and am wondering what the extra wires are for. The box the cable came in only describes 4 of the 6:

1. Red = "power" (obvious purpose)
2. Black = "ground" (again obvious)
3. White = "transmit" (I assume this goes to autopilot and/or Dynon)

4. Green = "receive" (receive what?)
5. Brown = no purpose given
6. Blue = no purpose given

Any ideas if there is any use for the green, brown, and blue wires?

Thanks.

BTW, for anyone who needs this: LEI extras person I spoke to on the phone knew nothing, as suggested by posts above, plus the lead time was 2-4 weeks. Got it next day from Pacific Coast Avionics for $19 + $7 shipping. (Don't order through their website, though, or they'll try to charge you $14 shipping).

Extra wires

Some of the Lowrance GPSs, like my Airmap 1000, can be configured for DGPS (linking multiple GPS receivers for more accuracy) or to talk to other NMEA devices - hence the 'receive' line. You can safely ignore it.

I don't have it here in front of me, but I thought the connector only had four pins, in which case wires #5 and #6 are likely not connected to anything.

1. My Icom A210 indicates that I can connect pin 1 on the A210 to the "data in" (green "receive" wire) of the NDC-2 cable that connects to my 2000c. What data would the Icom be sending to the 2000c? (I know that the GPS can push a frequence into the standby of the A210, I just don't know what would be going the other direction.)

2. Which NDC-2 wire pushes the frequency to the Icom. Is it the same one that transmits to the Dynon? Can it do both at the same time? It seems like it would be transmitting two different kinds of information (GPS position for the Dynon and radio frequency information for the Icom).

Thanks

Last edited:
Lowrance 2000c ndc-2 cable

This cable is available from spruce 3 day shipping

I will be hooking it up to the D180 and AP74 in the vary near future

Back