What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camguard

N29945

Has anyone had a bad experience with Camguard, I have used it for years in Lycoming engines, I was talking to an acquaintance today, he claims he has a 180HP Comanche, flys it about 10 hours a year, was using Camguard in it and the Camguard apparently gummed up the oil rings and caused it to use oil.
I think I know the answer, just checking with the experts.

Jim Skinner
RV6A
Exempt, but exercised my privilege to donate

Has anyone had a bad experience with Camguard, I have used it for years in Lycoming engines, I was talking to an acquaintance today, he claims he has a 180HP Comanche, flys it about 10 hours a year, was using Camguard in it and the Camguard apparently gummed up the oil rings and caused it to use oil.
I think I know the answer, just checking with the experts.

Jim Skinner
RV6A
Exempt, but exercised my privilege to donate

How does he know it is Camguard ?

Thread hijack

So I hear folks conflating CamGuard with Lycoming anti-wear additive. Like “100Plus Aeroshell already has CamGuard”

What say the experts?

@ 10 hours a year what would one expect to happen. Wonder if the oil was changed only once a year, how was it stored, etc... So many questions, but Camguard being the problem is not one of them and not very likely as many consider it to be a good addition for low use engines to prevent cam/lift corrosion.

My 2 cents, not an A&P, but the statement just doesn't sound right to me.

WOW!! Blame it on something!!!!! MUST be that nasty Camguard stuff. NOT
Maybe if the engine was flown more and oil changed it wouldn't have these problems.
I would think the Camguard would help not hurt an engine. But, I don't use it or any other witches brew except clean, new, aircraft oil. Oh ya and flying.
How about the fact that it is an engine and needs to be ran to keep the corrosion away.
I bought a Chevy 454 out of a wrecking yard to put in my 89 GMC dually one time cause mine literally blew up.
With in 100 miles the cam got ate up because it wasn't run for who knows how long and was more than likely rusted up.
My three cents worth Art

So I hear folks conflating CamGuard with Lycoming anti-wear additive. Like “100Plus Aeroshell already has CamGuard”

What say the experts?

They are quite different. The Lycoming LW-16702 additive has an anti-scuffing agent that serves to reduce wear.

Per Ed Kollin, the developer of Camguard: "Camguard uses 11 high performance additives most of which are multi-functional. They are all commercially available and expensive. It uses multiple ferrous and non ferrous corrosion inhibitors, multiple anti-wear chemistries, a very potent antioxidant/deposit control package."

According to Kollin, "the additives in Camguard SWAMP those in Aeroshell 15W-50 and Exxon Elite so why pay for them." Kollin recommends Phillips 20W-50 with Camguard year round.

(I'm not an expert.)

Last edited:
AeroShell

At Oshkosh this year I spoke for several minutes with the Shell Oil scientist (can’t remember his name) who was giving a presentation about aviation oil. He told me two things I remember clearly. One, AeroShell 15–50 grade oil is the best aviation oil they make. Two, additives are unnecessary because Shell already includes all the additives in the oil they believe are needed.

Some irony; isn’t the original oil ring flush a creation by the Camguard engineers? It’s the first one that I can recall seeing. Anyway, I have a lot of trust in their products/released procedures after having spoken with them. Like most here, I question the overall treatment of an aircraft flown ten hours a year. Those darned additives will probably be blamed for a spalled cam.

Thank you everyone for confirming what I thought to be true in the first place, I am a believer in Camguard, I have used it in Lycoming engines for more than twenty years, now when I again chat with Mr Comanche I will tell him to keep running the Camguard, fly 100hour a year, his sticky oil rings will probably heal themselves........
Jim Skinner
RV6A bought flying
RV6, Waco, Cherokee sadly sold
152, 172, PA20, PA23-250 gladly sold
Exempt, but gladly donate for the wisdom shared.

oil additive

I use Camguard all the time. Great stuff - talk to a knowledgeable engine guy and you'll prob use it also. Reason these additives are not already in engine oil is the fact that it makes the base oil too expensive.

Flying only 10 hours a year it's even more important to use Camguard.

Recommend the airplane gets flown more - rent it out. 10 hours is too infrequent use to maintain a healthy airframe.

I think it’s great stuff too. I haven’t had a single catastrophic engine failure since I started using it. :rolleyes:.

Mike Bush from Savey aviation has the ring flush information
He has nothing to with Cam guard other than using it himself

Back