What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best RV for first build?

coopGT

Good evening all! I am waiting for my training project to come in as I decide what is the best build for a first timer? I am 29 in the Charleston, WV area. I had my heart set on the 7A. However, after research I’ve became interested in the 12iS due to its short(er) build time. The 20 gallon fuel capacity is a set back. My main mission(other than quality time with my wife and sons) for the aircraft are cross countries to SC and FL. Any advice and/or mentorship is appreciated.

Happy Flying!

Good evening all! I am waiting for my training project to come in as I decide what is the best build for a first timer? I am 29 in the Charleston, WV area. I had my heart set on the 7A. However, after research I’ve became interested in the 12iS due to its short(er) build time. The 20 gallon fuel capacity is a set back. My main mission(other than quality time with my wife and sons) for the aircraft are cross countries to SC and FL. Any advice and/or mentorship is appreciated.

Happy Flying!

IMO you’re looking at this wrong. Build the plane that meets your mission. They all get built basically the same way, just some are bigger and take more time. My first build was an RV-10.

RV-14

First time builder myself.
Get the -14. It will be the best option. My kids love helping build. Plans are very thorough. Lots of resources available if you need help figuring something out.

Welcome to VAF

Thurley, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Cross country and wife+sons------>RV 10.

But, the 10 is a pretty expensive and demanding build.

For a two seater the 9 might be a good choice, great cross country bird.

Hands down the simplest is most likely the 14----but $$$ are almost up there with the 10.

Is aerobatics in the picture?? If so, the 9, 10 and 12 are out.

Just to echo the others....build because you like that kind of work (Vans sells/recommends starting with the tail kit, precisely so that those who decide building isn't for them don't lose too much money). From that point of view the time is almost irrelevant.
Yes, if you're serious about the "wife and boys" then your only choice is the -10.
Like Auburn, the -10 was my first and only build, although I did have some basic skills (riveting, torquing wrenches) from 25 years of 182 maintenance.
Good luck!

Have you been in any RV?

Welcome to the wide world of RV's (the flying kind)! Have you flown in, or looked at any of the types? What are you currently flying? The build process is SIMILAR no matter what you build, so the mission plan of your typical flying may be the determining factor ($$$ eliminated from the decision). If you haven't flown in one, start your search by finding a demo ride in various types..RV folks are all generous people and most are willing to help put the RV grin on a Newbie. Building is a commitment that requires diligence, passion and a "don't look back" attitude, but brings great pride at the finish line. I started my build (RV-4) when my son was about 2, and flew it just before he turned 18, so life has to fit in there also. The newer kits are not like a -4, and can be built much faster with less work. If you can afford, go quickbuild, as you will still do plenty of building. Good luck with your choice, and listen to the posters on here..there is no other homebuilt in the world with this kind of support network.

Happy Flying!

Welcome to VAF. I was 29 once and I was bouncing between the decision to build the RV4 or the RV7. However my career was getting started and with the high cost of living in California, I could not justify the financial commitment of building a new airplane back then. Airplanes are expensive toys, more so than boats. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with the above statement. Build the plane you want.

I built an 8 because I wanted an 8. At this point the 8 is considered an "old" kit. It's still a phenomenal kit that is better than most other experimental kits on the market. I have no regrets.

The 12 or 14 will be the easiest, but only build it of that's what you actually want. It would be a waste to spend a couple years building a plane just to be dissatisfied with it in the end.

I built an 8 because I wanted a plane that was good for cross country flying, aerobatic and able to carry acceptable baggage for 2 people on a weekend trip. The 8 does all that and looks great while doing it.

The -12 is definitely going to be the easiest to build but is an LSA - it’s not even in the same class of plane as the rest of the RVs. The 14 is the best kit with the best instructions and could be configured as a 2 +1 seating but by the time you’re done might be irrelevant. It will also cost much more than the earlier kits. The -10 is probably the one that best fits your mission but is also probably the most expensive, longest to build and highest learning curve. The -4 and -6 are MUCH more complicated due to kit and plans improvements to later models. The -7, -9 and -8 are pretty much identical from a build standpoint.

I have started or partially built more subkits (without ever completing a plane) than anyone I know. I’ve sold, traded, etc. and am now (10 years later - started my Vans adventure not much older than you) close to finishing my -7, but probably really a year out. Mainly because I picked a hobby I couldn’t afford with a wife and 5 young kids (there was only 1 way back when I started). Is it worth it? ONLY if you really like to build. I would have been much better off (logically speaking) to buy a 172/Cherokee/182/similar and we would have been flying all this time.

The thing is, I want to fly something that wasn’t built in a factory. I want to do it my way. And most importantly, the people you meet along the way as you’re building an RV are worth every aggravation.

Just keep in mind that Van designed a kit that ANYONE (yes even someone with no previous knowledge) can build. BUT....(wait for it).....MOST people will not finish their kit. Don’t know the percentage but I can tell you that FAR more subkits end up for sale than planes are completed each year.

It’s been said over and over here - build because you love to build. Any other reason is setting yourself up for failure. It’s going to take longer, cost more, impact your family more, otherwise change your life more than you ever planned. If you’re building because you love building it will all be worth it. If you’re building to meet a particular aviation goal you might end up frustrated or disappointed.

Just my opinion - worth what you paid.

Last edited:
I guess I will add that the -12 can be built however you want. You could probably find a way to add fuel as long as you’re building as an EAB only. It will be a quicker build.

For me, if I didn’t need LSA, I would not even consider the -12. For the money you will have in that plane you could buy a similarly performing spam can with more room and with your left over cash pay for all the extra fuel you burn for the next 25 years. The -12 is uniquely un-Vans-like in that it doesn’t (to my criteria) meet the total performance goal that all the other models do. For an LSA it’s fantastic, but LSA planes are not my cup of tea at this point in my life.

What to build.........??

I agree with the above statement. Build the plane you want.

At this point the 8 is considered an "old" kit. It's still a phenomenal kit that is better than most other experimental kits on the market.

YES! As is the -4. And, once you get it put together, might just be better than any other AIRPLANE on the market! Any of the RV series are! I built the -4 because I loved the looks (still think it is one of the coolest-looking) and wanted a tandem, tail wheel (since that's how I was born and raised.....), aerobatic, fast fun airplane! That was way back in the "slow-build days" and it was that or the -3 as the -6 was still in the works. Took me 6 years to build with life, moving, job change thrown in.

They fly like nothing else you have been in: responsive without being twitchy. Very predicable. Fly fast; fly slow! There is a reason military pilots leave the service (thanks for your service!) and build an RV. Usually (but not always) something tandem. I see many retired jet jocks tooling around in an -8. -4 before the -8 came around.

I love sliding up near a Bonanza or Mooney and slowly pulling away from them.....:D:D:D Which ever you build, it will be one of the best decisions you make in your young life!

Similar mission

Flying to Florida from our base at New Kent International Aerodrome W96 (basically Richmond VA) has become a fairly common thing for us to do in the -9A. Assuming you don't have more than two people of course, the aircraft is *unbelievably good* at this mission - fast, really efficient, and fun to fly. Exactly the same would be true of a 6, 7, or 14, and obviously a 10.

Depending on where you are in WV, and where you're going in Florida, you'll likely need only one fuel stop somewhere in Georgia (let me recommend Baxley....). That's a huge boon.

I don't know much about the 12, but I assume it's not quite as perfect for that kind of traveling, just due to speed and fuel limitations. However, with that said, it's a great airplane, and it's *way better than driving*. :)

Happy Flying!

The easiest build, i think, has to be an RV-12. Think pull rivets! It goes together really quickly, looks good, great documentation. It's performance mirrors that of a 172 (climb, cruise, etc). Maintenance cost are MUCH lower and fuel costs are much lower.

We (my wife, father-in-law and me - a real family effort) got most of the way through a 12 and we loved it. My wallet wouldn't stretch far enough at the time to grab the engine and panel; poor planning on my part.

I'd love a 9. At best, considering my new medical issues, I'd be much better off with a new rv-12isT? SLSA. hmmm...what's not to like?

Not to mention, ok i will, your rv-12 will not smell like your grandmothers couch. Your panel will not look like it came from her era either. You won't wince every annual from the cost of the old hard to find parts you have to replace. Your radios will not be related to coffee grinders.

Your RV-12 will be new and very reliable for years. Your panel is what you make it. Default is state of the art. You will be able to do your own maintenance and upgrades should you wish (depending on how she's licensed). You can't imagine the cost savings over a commercially built old machine. Your old 'good' buy on an old aircraft might start out at 15K but quickly 6K here and 8K there will add up and not when you plan it either.

All of Van's models are great kits and planes. There is a reason that there are more Van's aircraft flying than any other kit on the market. The newer planes (RV 10, 12 & 14 and let's not forget the 15) have the easiest documentation and 'How-To' instructions. Don't get me wrong, I have a room full of plans for all kinds of different aircraft. Maybe they range from 12 to 40 pages of drawings. The rest is up to you.

Van's leads you on the way to a great experience. You'll be challenged, wounded (drill through the finger - I read that in a book). You set out and prove that no matter how great the plans are you can still put a rivet in the wrong whole. but you'll have enough experience not to even be bothered.

In the end hard work, sweat and years of joy will take off and you will be flying something that YOU built.

Bob

Last edited:
Best build

Happy Flying!

At your age, sit the family down and have a serious discussion about the mission, budget and time committment. Anything over two is the RV10 and it's going to take quite a bite out of your family life and budget.
If it's two place, any of the models is fine. 12 and 14 are far superior in terms of ease of building but 7, 8 & 9 are good kits. There's so much support available for all the models, it really comes down to mission.

Lots of -3s, 4s and 6s were built by first time builders. If they can do it, and 7, 8, 9 is certantly possible, and a 10, 14 and then the 12 being the easiest. I'm building an RV8 because it's the plane I want. Robin8er above said it well.

To quote Richard Branson "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later". Same sort of thing, except it's you offering yourself the opportunity to build an airplane. I had no idea how to rivet before I bought the tools and practice kit. I have no idea how to install an engine, wire an electrical system or an instrument panel. However I'm going to learn how to do it. I have the ability to learn.

Last edited:
The -12 is uniquely un-Vans-like in that it doesn’t (to my criteria) meet the total performance goal that all the other models do.

The -12 is the only model you can remove the wings from and trailer home. That's a performance characteristic that none of the other models can achieve!

Not saying any particular one is right for you, but one of the reasons I leaned strongly towards the -7(A) was that there are a lot of 7 builders here on VAF and around my local airport. It's reportedly not as easy to build as a 14, but it is a very popular kit, and lots of people can offer help and tips. Knowing there was a large population of builders helped me decide.

I wouldn't consider the wing removal feature of the RV-12 a big deal. I have owned folding-wing trailerable EABs and quick wing removal aircraft. It is great marketing schtick but at the end of the day they all belong at an airport and not on the highway. A quick-folding wing like an Avid Flyer or Kitfox is useful for compact hangar storage but any removable wing aircraft that requires more than one person to disassemble isn't practical enough for every day use. It would, however, be a boon after an off-airport emergency landing.

I wouldn't consider the wing removal feature of the RV-12 a big deal. It would, however, be a boon after an off-airport emergency landing.

Lol, not if something was bent bad enough that you couldn't get to the bolts, (or pins, whatever holds the wings on).:D

In the end, the best kit for a first build is the kit for the airplane that you want! No matter what kit you pick, you are going to spend a significant portion of your life getting it to flight - this is not like assembling IKEA furniture, no matter what the marketing might tell you. Statistics show that most people who build an airplane only finish one - so since you’ll be investing so much of your time into it, make sure it is the one that fits your needs and desires.

If you can learn to build one of them, you can learn to build any of them - if you can’t then you’ll hopefully find that out early enough to find another passion to pursue....

Paul

Locate someone in your area who's building an RV. Offer to come "sit-in/help" on a build session with them. See how you like it.

Happy Flying!

There are BUILDERS and there are FLYERS. This forum is blessed with a high percentage of BUILDER/FLYERS. Your tough task is figuring out which group you fit in.

Here is a possible path you might consider;
1/ find & buy a good 6A (or similar priced RV) to fly. You immediately get your RV flying fix & you get to introduce your family to all the benefits of having a RV. You have a tangible example to intice your kids to become helpers in the dream RV (10? 7A?) project later.
2/ get an empennage kit and start the dream project right away, get your helper's hands busy.
3/ cost of the 6A and a full Vans kit ( emp thru finish kits) is roughly an equal investment to a fully completed, flying, well equipped 7,8,9,14.
4/ when it comes time to get the expensive build items (engine, avionics, etc.), sell the 6A to finance those major purchases.
5/ at this point you & your family will be highly motivated to finish the project!

Not really something we want to think of, but;
If you falter in the project somewhere along the path, you can be comforted knowing that there is a good resale market out there for incomplete kits.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

There are BUILDERS and there are FLYERS. This forum is blessed with a high percentage of BUILDER/FLYERS. Your tough task is figuring out which group you fit in.

Here is a possible path you might consider;
1/ find & buy a good 6A (or similar priced RV) to fly. You immediately get your RV flying fix & you get to introduce your family to all the benefits of having a RV. You have a tangible example to intice your kids to become helpers in the dream RV (10? 7A?) project later.
2/ get an empennage kit and start the dream project right away, get your helper's hands busy.
3/ cost of the 6A and a full Vans kit ( emp thru finish kits) is roughly an equal investment to a fully completed, flying, well equipped 7,8,9,14.
4/ when it comes time to get the expensive build items (engine, avionics, etc.), sell the 6A to finance those major purchases.
5/ at this point you & your family will be highly motivated to finish the project!

Very good suggestion! From what I can see on this forum, resale on the early RV aircraft is very good, although I have no data to back that up. I think the main problem if you have a nice RV-6A in a hangar will be splitting your time and money between flying and building. :)

Which RV to build...........

In the end, the best kit for a first build is the kit for the airplane that you want! Since you’ll be investing so much of your time into it, make sure it is the one that fits your needs and desires.

If you can learn to build one of them, you can learn to build any of them - if you can’t then you’ll hopefully find that out early enough to find another passion to pursue....
Paul

My thoughts exactly! This is why you either start with the "can I rivet?" kit or the tail kit. I was a first-time builder with a long history of working on airplanes but most first-time builders don't have that. Or any experience at all. Once I finished my (slow build; no pre-drilled anything!) tail section, all I wanted was MORE!! What's next?? I still remember YELLOW freight pulling up in the driveway of my (one car) garage with the next step in the kit!:):):)

Bottom line: it comes down to what you want in an airplane. More than two people? That would be a -10. Like to fly solo all the time? That would be the -3. All the others are choices of side-by-side or tandem, tail wheel or :eek: nose wheel. What kind of flying will you be doing? Like aerobatics? Not every model is good for that. If most of your flying will be with you and your wife, you can always rent :)p) something larger to take the family. If you build a -10 and mostly are solo or with your SO, then something smaller would have been better.

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUILD whatever model you choose if you find you have been bitten by the Builder Bug. Mine took 6 years and was worth every minute.

Talk to builders (they LIKE to talk to you about their "project" and usually whatever they built will be your 'best choice':D). Go for rides in whichever model you can find to ride in (RV builders are pretty up for giving rides as well!). THEN: Order a tail kit and tools and get to work!

Good luck! You'll figure it out; we all did and have no regrets.....:)

one more idea....

I would also like to think that my family all would go flying somewhere, and many do this.
but....
just as many families likely have ONE member who isn't entirely happy up there. Now you are down to 3...
kids age, get much bigger etc. while you are building....
probably better to take everyone on a trip somewhere, ( light GA craft, however you achieve this) and REALLY define your mission, and crewmembers!!!

have a look at almost anyone's logbook; probably looks like this; I know mine does!

self
self
self
self + 1
self
self
self +2
self
self
self
etc.

lots of great input here....keep on it!

Best advice

Best advice I have seen was this: You will probably only build one, so make the choice based on your needs and budget. All of Vans airplanes can be built by the first timer.

Amazed by this RV community

All I can say is “wow”. Thank you everyone for all your inputs! Each one educated, inspired, and did help me realize it is indeed just “what I want”. My wife and I have narrowed it down to the -7A and -9A. More to come on that! I truly look forward to working with this entire community to achieve that RV Grin.

just me

I picked a 9A because I wanted a cross country machine. I figure I could always borrow or rent a Citabria if I wanted to do aerobatics.

I sincerely hope the “most builders only build one” statement isn’t true. I’m finished with my emp kit and about to start wings and I’m already planning my next two builds.....

I sincerely hope the “most builders only build one” statement isn’t true. I’m finished with my emp kit and about to start wings and I’m already planning my next two builds.....

Statistically its true - built statistics don't have to apply to individuals - they are history, not prognostications for your situation! Build on, and see where the future takes you.....

Back