What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IRAN vs MOH

Frogman208

Hey guys got a quick question that apparently has stumped my mind. I have a IO-360 A1A with 200hrs since new. Got it off a Mooney that had prop strike, I didn't trust the paperwork on the 'prop strike' inspection from the Mooney so kept an eye out for everything. Anyway, got the initial Phase I + about 40 hrs on the engine, when a lot of 'small' red flags added up to me pulling a cylinder and final analysis of spun journal bearings past the babit and into the copper. Seems like a oil starvation at some point in the past with the Mooney.
Long story short, did a full-teardown and metal contamination IRAN at a professional shop. All measurements (crank, etc.) came back within new standards, had to P-10 the cylinders but basically did everything required for MOH and already had new accessories within 80 hrs.
Question: Is IRAN considered major overhaul for log book calculations? Am I at 0 SMOH/ 200 SNEW or 200 SNEW? If I go by Section I (definitions) for Major Overhaul then IRAN is considered MOH (I think).

Any thoughts from the brain trust? Either way is fine with me, just want to know what to track. Maybe 0 since IRAN /200 SNEW maybe??

Not an overhaul

I had a similar thing when my O360 started making metal at 900hrs (on a Bahamas trip no less). Turned out to be the thrust bearing.
Lycon did a teardown/IRAN plus a couple of other things like porting/10:1's.
All the yellow tags and notes are in the log book, but it's not an overhaul since it didn't replace things like the accessory gears which I believe are required to be considered an overhaul per lycoming.

Not sure I would go the overhaul route at 200hrs.

Laird

did a full-teardown and metal contamination IRAN at a professional shop. All measurements (crank, etc.) came back within new standards, had to P-10 the cylinders but basically did everything required for MOH and already had new accessories within 80 hrs.
Question: Is IRAN considered major overhaul for log book calculations? Am I at 0 SMOH/ 200 SNEW or 200 SNEW? If I go by Section I (definitions) for Major Overhaul then IRAN is considered MOH (I think)

On an experimental, you can call the overhaul whatever you want (and people do). IMO the best thing is to describe your problem in the engine log book and say what you did to about it. Let a buyer decide what degree of overhaul was done to it. Personally I would log it or advertise it as "200 SNEW, 0 SOH" and keep adding to the 200 hrs for further maintenance.

Thank you

Thanks guys, I’ve reviewed the SB against my parts list and it is in compliance so I think I’m good. Everything is detailed in the log book so no issues. Gotta love Vans forum for the brain trust. Thanks Scott

Back