What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting fuselage frames.

Roy25101

I'm somewhat stuck trying to figure out how to flute the fuselage frames to make the holes align. They do not sit flat so I assume some work is in order but I'm not sure how to go about it. Thanks in advance for any input...

If you are referring to the bulkheads, lay them on a table with the flange up and lightly flute them between the rivet holes until it lays flat on the table.

After you have fluted the tail cone formers so that they lie flat on a table, be sure to tweak their circumferential flange angles so that they are reasonably aligned with the taper of the tail cone skins. The tail cone skins are based on a conical shape. Therefore the flanges of the tail cone formers should not be a simple 90-degree angle but should approximate the conic angle of the tail cone skins.

ps -- You may want to break-out your old geometry skills to fomally calculate these angles or find a local sixth-grader. ;)

emp39.jpg

What David said. Spend the time to tweak the angles to get a smooth finish once it’s riveted.

Back