What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No Panel Mount Radios etc.

dwschaefer

So ... as a long time GRT owner... I'm curious if folks are designing panels around the HXr with remote mount radios, audio panel, transponders etc.

I have two GNS-430's which I'm not going to pay $6,000 to upgrade, I've got a gaggle of GPSs on board, and shortly will have a 330ES for ADS-B out. All can be replaced for less than the 430 upgrade I suspect.

It would create a really clean panel.

Thoughts, negatives?

Thanks....

DWS
N142DS Rv6-A

So ... as a long time GRT owner... I'm curious if folks are designing panels around the HXr with remote mount radios, audio panel, transponders etc.

I have two GNS-430's which I'm not going to pay $6,000 to upgrade, I've got a gaggle of GPSs on board, and shortly will have a 330ES for ADS-B out. All can be replaced for less than the 430 upgrade I suspect.

Thoughts, negatives?

Thanks....

DWS
N142DS Rv6-A
So where are you going to get the ADS-B compliant position source for the G330ES? AFAIK the non-WAAS 430 isn't 2020 ADS-B compliant and the G330ES doesn't have its own built in GPS.

:confused:

Thoughts, negatives?

Thanks....

DWS
N142DS Rv6-A

Your current setup is similar to mine. I've got the dual Horizon WS, two 430s (non-WAAS), 330 (non-ES). I've thought about upgrading my WS systems to a newer GRT system but cannot justify the additional cost to add synthetic vision and approach plates when my iPad can supply both.

To meet ads-b out requirements all you really need to do is add a WAAS gps input to your 330 and have it upgraded to extended squitter. Garmin will upgrade the 330 to ES for ~ $1,200. Garmin also sells a WAAS gps source (Garmin GPS 20A) for $850 plus another $350 for the WAAS antenna. Total cost less than $2,500.

Or you could get the Appareo ESG certified Transponder with internal WAAS gps which includes a WAAS gps antenna for $2,995 and qualify for the FAA $500 rebate. (This is what's been recommended to me.)

There is no true need to upgrade your 430s unless you want to fly LPV approaches. I fly ILS' for my precision approach work and GPS non-precision approaches with SAP as backup for other instrument work. I figure if I get into a situation where LPV approaches are "necessary" then I've just screwed up and I should divert!

So where are you going to get the ADS-B compliant position source for the G330ES? AFAIK the non-WAAS 430 isn't 2020 ADS-B compliant and the G330ES doesn't have its own built in GPS.

:confused:

That one has taken a while to work out ...but it turned out to be easier than I thought (and less expensive)... it's coming from a Garmin GPS 20-A which was specifically designed for to feed a GPS ADS-B+ data stream to a 330ES as part of the G3X setup.

Interestingly, I just got off the TRIG website ... one of the communications protocols they support for their ADS-B remote transponder ...wonder of wonder...is Garmin ADS-B+ ...apparently exactly what the 20-A feeds the 330ES.

SO I keep the 20-A and feed the remote TRIG with it, although Trig is coming out with their own less expensive compliant GPS.

Thanks....
DWS

N142S RV6-A

SO I keep the 20-A and feed the remote TRIG with it, although Trig is coming out with their own less expensive compliant GPS.

Thanks....
DWS

N142S RV6-A

GRT will sell you a 'meets the performance requirements' GPS for $500. That can feed the TT22.

A quick point for consideration for those with an HXr and wanting to go this route. Adding a Mini to the equation might be a good way to declutter the HXr screen if one were to use the dedicated Trig TT22 control lines from the Mini. This would make the Mini the controller and altitude encoder for the transponder, while adding a whole host of redundancy to the existing HXr.

Garmin's upgrade cost for the 330 are the main reason I sold our brand new 330. At the time, Garmin wanted a difference of only $500 between the price of a new 330 and a new 330ES, but they wanted $1200 to upgrade a 330 to 330ES configuration. I gave them an opportunity to do the upgrade for $500 but they, of course, refused. I, of course, refused to pay their highway robbery price for the upgrade and sold the 330 for what it cost me to acquire a TT22 and TC20 controller, shedding about 3lbs of weight and quite a few watts of power consumption in the process. Win win win.

i'm planing an hxr and remote radios

I know nothing about the previous posts and am learning as I go but my panel is cut for an hxr and I have a plate going across the bottom of the webs from the firewall to the panel to hold the radios. the left web I shortened by a quarter of an inch and add a web above and below to get to the panel for the attach screws. that allows the hxr to move to the left as only the center of the screen goes back three inches or so. As of now I only have the hxr the eis and switches in the panel with the thought of a mini way to the left and a pad right of the hxr about in the middle of the panel as the eis is way to the right.

I'm a little bit puzzled....Why don't you just turn those two non waas 430's (and that $1K you were going to spend on the GPS20A) into a brand new GTN-650 and end up with a better solution? Unless those are old 28V 430's, the trade up probably works.

Cheers,
Stein

I'm a little bit puzzled....Why don't you just turn those two non waas 430's (and that $1K you were going to spend on the GPS20A) into a brand new GTN-650 and end up with a better solution? Unless those are old 28V 430's, the trade up probably works.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein ...Interesting idea ... would be a wiring pain...but so would be the TRIG route. I'll take a look...they are 14volt. The other issue is it doesn't get me out of the 'map update cost' cycle.

Thanks for your suggestion
DWS

Back