What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Winter Ops

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Flew yesterday with OAT 38F, really cold in cabin with full heat on from double muff around 2 pipes, no fun at all.

I knew the problem, air leak at canopy skirt. Same thing a year ago, so envolked same solution, spent $3.79 for weather stripping and installed same on inside of canopy skirt.

Flew today and cabin was toasty warm.

Like last year, when summer returns will remove it fir max air flow when temps hit 100F.

Great take off performance today, was flying before reaching first mark on IFR runway. :)

I dread the winter temps but love the performance of our RV's associated with it. I have mine sealed up pretty good and on most winter flights I don't need cabin heat, unless it is cloudy.

Introduction...

Flew yesterday with OAT 38F, really cold in cabin with full heat on from double muff around 2 pipes, no fun at all.

I knew the problem, air leak at canopy skirt. Same thing a year ago, so envolked same solution, spent $3.79 for weather stripping and installed same on inside of canopy skirt.

Flew today and cabin was toasty warm.

Like last year, when summer returns will remove it fir max air flow when temps hit 100F.

Great take off performance today, was flying before reaching first mark on IFR runway. :)

Hey David,
My name is Jeff Goostree and I'm new to the RV community, saw your note about the cold wx flying and noticed your in Chesterfield.
We are in Rogers, AR. (KROG), if your ever in our neck of the woods let us know. A couple of us here are in the market for RV's (an -8 for me and a -6 for one of the guys I fly with), welcome to stop in for a burger or a cup of coffee.
Fly safe..

Goose

Cold Wx flying

Dave,

Isn't it funny that sometimes there are such simple solutions to problems. The first time I flew my -4 in the cold I had a very cold draft on the back of my neck. The heater kept my feet warm but the tiny gap in the back of the canopy skirt sucked all the warm air right out the back. Like you I found some simple black weatherstripping in just the right width and thickness with peel and stick adhesive on one side (from the local "aviation store").

When I installed the 4 pipe Vetterman exhaust I also junked the standard heat muff and installed the heat muff recommended by them. Also moved the heater cable to the right side and reworked the geometry of the heater valve on the firewall. With the weatherstripping in place I get no leaks and the cockpit is toasty warm.

Ditto on the cold weather, definitely notice a big boost in performance.

See you at Nick's for fried chicken!
Oly

I flew to Laramie a week and a half ago on a chilly day and noticed the draft on the back of my neck. A couple days later I met a guy at my field who has an 8A and when I mentioned it to him he showed me the weather stripping trick. So it looks like I'll be making that "mod" as well.

I've flown my RV8 in the winter and it feels like my heater doesn't do that great. Its warm right at my knee, but by the time it hits my hip it just goes to luke warm or lower. I doubt there is anything to really help increase the heat. Does anyone have any tips?

Can someone please post a picture of this Mod, I would like to understand where it actually goes.

Stan, I stuck 1/2x3/16 soft foam tape along inside edge of canopy skirt entire length. Canopy needs a little persuasion to close but no big deal. It is tight fit, keeps Air from escaping. Will remove tape again next spring for better cabin air flow hot days.

Another data point. I took a little different path than weather stripping. I had a long roll of Velcro strip so I used the fuzzy side along the inside of the canopy. Working for several years now.

Another data point. I took a little different path than weather stripping. I had a long roll of Velcro strip so I used the fuzzy side along the inside of the canopy. Working for several years now.

+1
It has been doing the job for 13 years.

Carl

Whine, whine, whine. You guys want cold? Fly a Luscombe. LOL:D

Does anyone have photos on where they are locating the foam tape? I've tried a few spots but am not getting the effect you have achieved. Mind posting a few images?

Back