What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill operated tow bar manufacturer

localizer

Hi all,
Does anyone remember or have information about guys who offered drill operated tow bars at Sun'n'Fun this year?
Or have recommendations for who makes one? I know red line aviation does. Anyone else?

Thanks,
Yuri

I tried one and returned it. Not enough power for an RV-10. I did a write up review on it a couple of years ago.....

MiniMax

I have a MiniMax and it has plenty of power with the red Milwaukee drill. I've used it for over 2 years now and it worked great. I had one minor issue with it. When you overload it (going over hangar door tracks) it occasionally breaks a shear pin and it needs to be replaced. No big deal just make sure you have it on hand.

Here's their website: http://www.minimaxtugs.com/

Lenny

Last edited:
I used to have a hangar that had a steep slope out the front - I used a boat winch and a drill to spin the winch. I attached the winch cable to a tow bar. Worked great.

But the better solution was to sell that hangar and buy one that has a reasonably level ramp out front. Now I just use the tow bar and drag it in :cool:.

I also had the mini-max tug. It would not pull the -10 up a slight incline and also had a tough time turning 90 deg. on to the apron. (no differential). The wheels would just spin and I felt like I was adding a lot more down force on the tug to keep the wheels from spinning, than I thought I wanted.
I can pull the -10 in and out of my hangar as long as I keep 50psi in the tires.
I did try my next door neighbors professional electric tug made for the Cirrus. It worked great and had no issues. I can't think off hand who the manufacturer was. They are not cheap though.

Tow bar

I am currently in the back of a hangar with a bonanza in front. We use a minimax tow bar to move the bonanza. It is pretty slow, but will do the job. Not sure how long the drill will last as it is hot by the end of the job, which includes moving the bonanza out and in again. The battery lasts about two jobs, but is new so I expect that will drop off with age. The type we use transmits power through rubbing against the nose wheel tire, so would not work with wheel pants. The bonanza weighs about 1,000 pounds more than the rv-10.

http://www.minimaxtugs.com/product_p/011beech470.htm

Hope this helps!

Due to back surgery, I recently purchased a MiniMax towbar for my RV7a. It moves the plane in and out of the hanger with no issues...even navigates a 3/4" hanger entrance rail with out much of a problem if I keep the speed up. I just have the plain 3 speed Dewalt version. It did take some time to climb the learning curve on how best to operate it.

Bob Cowan
RV7a, 400 plus hours

Minimax Performance Checklist

We've worked pretty closely with Minimax for the past several years (they're just up the road from us at home, and we've shared the booth at Oshkosh with them for the past two years).

If you're thinking about going that way, I recommend that you take a look at their Performance Checklist here), and if you have any questions, talk to Greg ( contact pagehere).

In a nutshell, I can tell you that he puts a lot of work into designing products that work reliably to their designed specifications, and they do work exceedingly well. HOWEVER, if you've got a steep slope into your hangar or other issue that exceeds the specs, you're going to have trouble, so pay attention to the specs!

Back