What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie SoCal

RVFlyboy

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop a note and introduce myself briefly as I've been hanging around on the forum for quite some time now.

I'm in SoCal, live in Corona and have been thinking of building an RV for a long time now. I've finally decided by Christmas, if not sooner, I will take the plunge. (Should say my wife too as she is on board and our daughter is off to college and tuition is paid). Currently I own a great little '73 Piper Cherokee Cruiser based at Corona (KAJO). I love this airplane and will be sad to see it go. I'm leaning towards building a 9 as I believe it will fit my flying/mission well from all I've read. Initially I was very interested in the 12 and I must say the 14 is tempting.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Cheers and regards,
Geoff

While MikeS stepped out for a minute let me say Welcome to good ship VAF Geoff!
Whatever RV you choose you won't go wrong. Just do it. If I can build an RV anybody can :D

Chino RV's

Hello Geoff,

There are quite a few RV?s flying and under construction at Chino. Saturday mornings are usually best for a visit, because many of the RVs are either in the pattern or in hangars with open doors. Airport security is tight, so you cannot simply drive in, but if you are interested in visiting Chino, contact me via the VAF PM (private message) system, and I can show you around. If Peter McCoy is in town, he has a nice RV-9A all wrapped up that you might want to see. Tom Prokop has a beautiful RV-8A, and Tom previously built a superb RV-6. There are several RV-8?s flying and under construction including Eddie Rohwedder?s. There?s a flying RV-12 as well as one under construction (John Halcrow?s). Well, anyway, if you are interested in seeing some RVs just a few miles from Corona, Chino is not a bad place to look.

Chino Visit

Geoff, I agree with Bill. Pick a Saturday and head up to Chino. Lot's of RV's to see, and maybe even a ride in one if people are around. I am always up for giving a first flight in an RV, when the schedule works out. See you soon, and welcome to your RV adventure.

Welcome

I too am going to get a kit sometime by year end. I'm scheduled to take a two day RV building course at flabob (riverside) in Dec.
I'm also planning on heading up to Oregon to Vans plant and taking a demo ride in a RV14. Since they have the only flying rv14.
People on this site are great. Very helpful and friendly.
I'm up at cable, and I also have a Cherokee archer ll. trying to keep that flying while building RV.
PM me if you need any info on the class, or trip to vans
Scott

Vlad, Bill & Peter - Thank you for the warm welcome!!! And thank you Bill & Peter for the invite over to Chino, I will take you up on that and look forward to it very much! I'll contact you via PM soon to set something up. I'm not even flying an RV yet and I'm grinning ear to ear...very much looking forward to getting started and the adventure ahead.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Geoff :)

I used to base our Rockwell Commander 114 at Corona back in the late 80's. I just finished an RV-9A and am fairly close by in Ramona. I'll be heading to Corona for Aircraft Spruce's customer appreciation event on 10/4 (weather permitting). The -9 is a great flying airplane and I'm really happy with my choice to build it. Hope to meet you soon, and let me know if you want a ride.

Thank you!!!

Scott & Bruce - thank you as well too.

Scott - EAA is giving a quick 2.5 hour course/presentation 5:30PM in Corona for $25 titled "What's Involved In Kit Building" which I'm going to attend. I read their schedule for the RV workshop in December, I will give it some thought - thank you.

Bruce - Thank you as well for the offer, very much appreciated, let me know if you make it up since I'll be there already.

Really guys, all that have responded this evening - my deep thanks for making me feel part of the group already - I look forward to meeting you all soon.

Geoff

Welcome to VAF!

Geoff-------welcome aboard.

Good thing Vlad was on the job, thanks cousin ;)

Been a while since last post - life happens

I'll try to keep a long story short. Right after my last post here I was informed by my job would be relocating to Henderson, NV - needless to say that put my plans on hold. Finally after a year plus of work keeping me traveling, running around and getting the new house in order I'm back where I was. Soooo... looks like I'm going to be thinking about building a -9A and close to ordering kit soon. I'm still vacillating over possibly the 12 as this was my initial interest. The 9 fits my mission better as will also be using to go back and forth to Socal a couple times per month as I'm currently doing with my Cherokee - I had decided not to sell it. Anyway...just wanted to check back in as I love this forum. Also finally got my donation sent off to Doug (this years and last).

I guess I should post this next part on the regional forum for California, but I'm heading over to Socal next week on business and will be going to the Chino Air Show on the weekend - Does anyone know if they still have the RV get together at the show as in past years? I would like to get a close up look at a 9 and 12. Thanks!

Also, a buddy of mine is thinking about buying a 6 (tail wheel) - Does anyone know of someone that can help with a pre-buy and is well acquainted with a 6? It is located in Cloverdale, CA (O60). Thanks again.

Gee wiz that wasn't such a short story...sorry for the ramble.

Best regards, Geoff

Geoff glad to hear you are still interested! Two years have passed already have you ever thought of buying a flying RV? It's buyers' market now. They are incredible machines. So many places to fly so little time. :D

Larry: Thanks for the welcome - RV7 - now that another thought. :rolleyes:

Vlad: Yes been a while...that's for sure. I've thought about purchasing but would really like to build my own. If I didn't get derailed at the end of 2014 I would certainly be pretty far along by now. Who knows though...if I happened across the right deal maybe I could be convinced about purchasing. We will see, but I'm determined now to get going since all has settled down. I've followed your posts over the past year (loved the dig out in the snow) pics. I'm originally from NY and NJ - I remember the winters well. Good to hear from you again...Thanks

Larry: Thanks for the welcome - RV7 - now that's another thought. ;)

Vlad: Yes been a while...that's for sure. I've thought about purchasing but would really like to build my own. If I didn't get derailed at the end of 2014 I would certainly be pretty far along by now. Who knows though...if I happened across the right deal maybe I could be convinced about purchasing. We will see, but I'm determined now to get going since all has settled down. I've followed your posts over the past year (loved the dig out in the snow) pics. I'm originally from NY and NJ - I remember the winters well. Good to hear from you again...Thanks

Does anyone know if they still have the RV get together at the show as in past years? I would like to get a close up look at a 9 and 12. Thanks!

Yes, there was an announcement on the SoCal RV email list. Weather and life permitting, I'll be up there with my -9A. Just look for the unpainted one. :)

RV FLY-IN ? CONCURRENT WITH THE PLANES OF FAME WARBIRD SHOW
Saturday, April 30th, 2016 at Chino Airport (KCNO), Chino, California

It?s that time again?let?s have us a fly-in at Chino!

The annual RV fly-in at Chino continues. The event that has always been put on so graciously by Dave ?Hog? Klages this year is being capably hosted by his son, Mark, and Brad ?Wingnut? Peacock.

Same venue, same fantastic shaded viewing site, same delicious Mexican Bar-B-Que Lunch.

Ample parking space for dozens of RVs. It sure would be great to fill them all. Hoping for ?Clear-And-A-Million? weather all over the west to throw the doors open wide for everyone.

Here?s how previous announcements described it:

This is a time when those of you who are thinking about building an RV, are building an RV, or are just curious about RVs, can fly or drive to Chino Airport to see a broad variety of RVs, see RVs under construction, see old friends and meet new friends, and see the best warbird oriented air show you will ever see.

We will once again have the use of a large hangar, oriented to the Air Show activities and flying, where you can sit in the shade and watch beautifully restored and historic airplanes fly. We will also be serving a ?Mexican Bar-B-Que? at noon, along with cold soft drinks. We hope you will donate a modest sum to help us cover costs for food.

For those of you who are planning to fly in, please check the weather and plan for an arrival prior to 10:30 AM, as the airport will close then for Air Show activities; it opens again at 12:10 PM for arrivals & departures until 12:40, and then closes again until 4:35 PM for more Air Show. As of this writing a NOTAM has not been posted. Please check for one prior to flying in, as there may be late changes in the times and/or special arrival procedures in effect.

When you land and clear the runway, please tell ground control that you are going to the
RV Fly-In at Hangar B-340. It is the first row of hangars immediately North and East of the intersection of taxiways Papa and November. Park on either side of Hangar B-340. If necessary, we can also park aircraft along the taxiway paralleling Delta at the East end of the hangar row.

Access the Chino Airport map at:
http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/7/CNO Airport Bldg Map.pdf

Hope to see you there! It is always a great time.​

Back