What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whacky Question: Open Cockpit Conversion?

wera710

Well Known Member
Ok, call me crazy, but my entire aviation career has been spent in closed cockpits, yet since I was oh, five, I have wanted an open cockpit aircraft. But I keep ending up with the more winter friendly choice.

I am currently torn between selling my RV-8 and getting a PT-19, or a biplane. Which would be sad, since the -8 is such a bloody good comprise between all things with wings.

I recall someone posting something about a guy who made himself an open cockpit deck for his RV-4. Seems like something I could do for the RV-8 and its operational envelope certainly is wide enough to allow farting around at 100 knots with ones head sticking out in the breeze, when the mood hits.

Is there any aerodynamic downside to losing the canopy and turning this sucker into a Fly Baby wannabe a few times a year?

Is there any aerodynamic downside to losing the canopy and turning this sucker into a Fly Baby wannabe a few times a year?

All the turbulence behind the windshield, shaking your head and neck to pieces when you go just a wee bit faster than a classic open-cockpit normally goes? A different shaped windshield might help this somewhat but methinks the RV-8's normal front windshield will have one heck of a turbulent low pressure zone behind it if sticking up in the breeze by itself while in flight.

That was my thought as well. Was wondering if a Hump behind the head, ala P-26 Peashooter would be the answer. Anyway, was a thought. Hate to sell the thing. But when I see a dozen open cockpit aircraft I'd love for half the price I could get for the -8, the temptation always rears its ugly head. lol. Maybe a partnership makes more sense. Free up $40K to throw at something noisy and slow!

Try it ! I have had two high performance sports cars that had a little **** that would raise up when the targa top was removed. I drove them both at RV low speeds. The buffeting was terrible until the **** was properly adjusted. I think you would need something similar that would be installed on the top of the screen when you remove the canopy. If a T-6 can fly with the hatch open I don't see why a RV can not.

How about this for something with more of an RV flavour, but designed for open cockpit:
19.jpg

Hmm...the floor IS Getting kinda dirty again. Might be time to don the goggles and remove the canopy for a spin around the pattern... :D

Do What I Did

Go in with a partner on something like this:

Piet_zpsadba09f1.jpg

Relatively inexpensive and tons of fun.

oh man, is that for sale? I am in LUST!

Piets can be built pretty cheap, Spruce sells the plans and parts kits.

A quick search on Trade-a-Plane shows what looks like a really nice one in West Virginia, built just last year with a C85 engine for mid twenties. It even has (sacrilege, gasp!) an electrical system :eek:

Back