What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Camper

N941WR

Legacy Member
Oh, I thought this section was for Air Campers...

I'm going over to the dark side. Rather than build another RV, I just wrote the check for Air Camper plans.

Who knows what will come of this, if anything but my wife told me I need another project. What a woman!

For some reason I have always liked the Air Camper, probably because I have always liked antique aircraft. I'm going to build this Old School and may even go with the Model A engine. It will not have an electrical system but will have the bicycle wheels rather than Cub style wheels and a big NX number on the wing.

It made me wonder, what OTRV (other than RV) aircraft would you consider building?

Oh, I thought this section was for Air Campers...

I'm going over to the dark side. Rather than build another RV, I just wrote the check for Air Camper plans.

Who knows what will come of this, if anything but my wife told me I need another project. What a woman!

For some reason I have always liked the Air Camper, probably because I have always liked antique aircraft. I'm going to build this Old School and may even go with the Model A engine. It will not have an electrical system but will have the bicycle wheels rather than Cub style wheels and a big NX number on the wing.

It made me wonder, what OTRV (other than RV) aircraft would you consider building?

Bill,

I recently built a little critter that is about as anti-RV as you can get:

xl58-3.jpg

The plane has no practical value other than making me grin on late summer evenings, but it was a great way to add gas welding to my skill set. The little 1/2 VW sounds cool, too. Turns out the Eagle will scratch the itch for a late evening flight as well as the RV-6 but only a gallon of dead dinosaur is consumed for a 1/2 hour flight.

Sam's Legal Eagle XL Project

A short Video

Enjoy your Camper! I considered building one but the front cockpit is nearly impossible to get into for a normal sized human.

[I moved the thread from camping :) .....]

Last edited:
It would probably be a Stummelflitzer with a Rotac radial engine.

And I'd grow a long waxed moustache!

TypeR-3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a kitfox series 7. But for now I just need to focus on finishing up the wings and cracking open the fuselage crate that's been staring at me for the past few months.

Fokker Triplane Replica

I already have the plans for one of these.......don't tell my wife!

It will be awhile before I start on this long-term project.

SB_profile17C.jpg

RB_Fok%20Dr-I%20(127-17)%20FRONT.jpg

fokker_triplane_1.jpg

I'm currently working on one of these little beauties:

10c44338.jpg

Sam, you should bring that thing to Oshkosh, we'll enter the Airventure Cup race! You too Bill with the Piet. They can create a new "bugs on the trailing edge" class for us.

Those are some great projects!

I have never heard of a Stummelflitzer before, cool looking plane!

The Breezy was on the short list by there is no way Nora would ever get in one. Besides, I'm not sure how my dentist would like seeing me every Monday morning to remove the bugs from my teeth. :D

Yes, the front seat of the Peat is small but I'll be ridding the back.

Funny, but in the shower this morning I was thinking about building two.

Have this beautiful set of wings built by Raymond Griffin, my own local craftsmanship guru. They're a bit dirty from storage, but don't be fooled.....beautiful work, from scratch, part of a one-off aircraft design. Airfoil is NACA 97, high lift low speed.

You think I'm shop-crazy? Raymond started by making steel rib forms from 1" plate. These are all hand-hammered.

Likely to be a Breezy, but I want to do (or hire) a structural analysis before I commit to a particular use. All I've done so far is reduce them to AutoCad.

22noyg.jpg

Already scratched the WW1 itch. Go for it....best Walter Mitty fantasy you can have.

ruy3pf.jpg

Last edited:
Y'all know I'm already working on a Wittman Tailwind, but that fits the RV mission profile. After its done, I have plans in hand already for a Fisher Zipster biplane!

Der Jager

I have always (well, since I first saw one) to have a Der Jager.

Fd91548.jpg

At least I do have the Balsa USA kit out in the hangar.

RE: APRS

Sam, my inspiration, where is the APRS track for this little beauty!!!!!

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A...

Bill,

I recently built a little critter that is about as anti-RV as you can get:

xl58-3.jpg

The plane has no practical value other than making me grin on late summer evenings, but it was a great way to add gas welding to my skill set. The little 1/2 VW sounds cool, too. Turns out the Eagle will scratch the itch for a late evening flight as well as the RV-6 but only a gallon of dead dinosaur is consumed for a 1/2 hour flight.

Sam's Legal Eagle XL Project

A short Video

Enjoy your Camper! I considered building one but the front cockpit is nearly impossible to get into for a normal sized human.

[I moved the thread from camping :) .....]

Sam, my inspiration, where is the APRS track for this little beauty!!!!!

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A...

Frank, I don't think I fly the Eagle high enough to get any beacons out! :D I do have a spare RTG but it would require adding a battery of some sort.

Maybe next summer.

I've thought about building an Eagle too. I've had 2 Team planes and the Airbike was a blast to fly. I might build some form of an Airbike or Eagle but with a half VW engine.

Airbike1.jpg

Seriously!

Once had a serious discussion among Team RV pilots about building an entirely new formation aerobatic team around the Cri Cri. Seriously? Or was it the beer talking?

air camper

Just sent you a pm 941WR.
I have an uncovered emp for an air camper, in the "barn". ;)

You're gonna love that plane. There are a good number od them aroumd here (Bernie is sort of local legend & aviation royalty in MN). Have you seen Navratil's with the Rotec radial on the front? In case you haven't, you can see it here. It's one of the finest around.

A friend of mine is still flying behind an engine Bernie overhauled before he died.

Neat airplanes for sure, but I have a pretty hard time fitting in them. Me, the breezy is on my bucket list (maybe after the coupe is done someday)!

Cheers,
Stein

I finished a Backcountry Super Cub in March. Now I can putz around the Idaho backcountry at 110mph or go cross country at 200mph in my RV7. Don

Have you seen Navratil's with the Rotec radial on the front?

Ooooo...I like!

Air Camper?. That would be the Avid Explorer 1

I admit to having a serious jones for this fantasy......an airplane large enough to live in while touring the world.

Something a bit more affordable; remember the Private Explorer, another Dean Wilson design?

2vsrtd3.jpg

Hatz Biplane!

I spent the summer learning how to weld the fuse for my Hatz project. The wings are finished except for covering.
I started the project in 2007 due to a bout with BWS (builders' withdrawal syndrome).

35jds3s.jpg
[/IMG]

I always liked the canard designs. Great speed, range, and efficiency. Would be one heck of a cross country plane. Second to that, probably some sort of ultralight. That's what I got my start in, so I have a special place for them in my heart.

I have the plans for the Pietenpol and the GN-1. But I am building Hummel Ultracruiser ultralight with my father-in-law.

I've started on the fuse after having built the bulkheads from scratch. I can say that with a total of 27 pages of plans and a construction manual that was designed for a kit and not scratch building I have to wonder why I ever scratched my head on the RV9 plans!

upthecreek.JPG

Bob

I already have the plans for one of these.......don't tell my wife!
It will be awhile before I start on this long-term project

Hey Brent, I have a good friend who built one of those from plans about 30 years ago. He still flies it and it is a beauty. When I first met him he was building it in his dining room. His wife is a special person, needless to say.
I think it took him about 8 years to build it. If you ever find yourself in Wichita for recurrent training, or aircraft delivery/maintenance, etc. let me know and I will see if I can hook you up with him. It is worth seeing.

Last edited:
I am building Hummel Ultracruiser ultralight with my father-in-law.

I've started on the fuse after having built the bulkheads from scratch. I can say that with a total of 27 pages of plans and a construction manual that was designed for a kit and not scratch building I have to wonder why I ever scratched my head on the RV9 plans!

Bob

Sweet! The UltraCruiser is a great variation of the old Hummelbird. You will enjoy the little 1/2 VW. :)

Hey Brent, I have a good friend who built one of those from plans about 30 years ago. He still flies it and it is a beauty. When I first met him he was building it in his dining room. His wife is a special person, needless to say.
I think it took him about 8 years to build it. If you ever find yourself in Wichita for recurrent training, or aircraft delivery/maintenance, etc. let me know and I will see if I can hook you up with him. It is worth seeing.

David,
That's awesome! I do make it to KICT from time to time, so I'll try to take you up on that offer! I'm having so much fun with my -8 that I can't see building it for a while, but I know I'll get the itch sooner or later.....;)
Take care!

Some kind of biplane

I have been eying a few different biplanes like a Starduster or a Airdrome replica. I've also liked that rotec Pietenpol ever since I saw it in Sport Aviation.

Bearhawk

I have decided on doing a plans built Bearhawk. Setting up my shop now. Since finishing my 7 I have missed having an airplane project.

Sport Trainer

I've been kicking around the idea of scratch building a Wag Aero Sport Trainer. I told my wife I wanted the anti-RV-7. Something low, slow, high wing, tandem seating, tube / fabric, etc. Put some big ol' wheels on it and just for fun I might use a Corvair engine.

I've been thinking about building a Kitfox 5, 6 or 7 (whatever I can find a good deal on) with big tundra tires. I'd keep it super simple. My first airplane was a Kitfox 4, and I really enjoyed it. I think the Sonex Onex would be a lot of fun, too.

My buddy had a Pietenpol Air Camper. He flew it from California to Oshkosh, took 2nd place in the unlimited category of the Airventure Cup Race, and sold it in Chicago. Fun plane, but open cockpit isn't for me...

Paul

I've been kicking around the idea of scratch building a Wag Aero Sport Trainer. I told my wife I wanted the anti-RV-7. Something low, slow, high wing, tandem seating, tube / fabric, etc. Put some big ol' wheels on it and just for fun I might use a Corvair engine.

I built the best of both worlds. A RV 7 and a Backcountry Super Cub.

Just Highlander

My Highlander kit should be delivered next weekend. My first build was a PulsarXP which was all composite. The second was an RV7A, mostly working with Metal of course. This one is rag and tube which I always wanted to do. This one will be fun to get my tail wheel endorsement and eventually I'll put it on amphibs.

justaircrafthighlanders.gif
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

1007720.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Sopwith

I have a big Moustache and when I saw this on the Airdrome Aeroplane site....Mmmmm very interesting....I could be tempted!

camel1.jpg

The RV-3 of Biplanes?

skyoteplains1r.jpg

The exquisite little Skyote is a great choice for builders who are up to a real building challenge. Aerobatic, 630# empty weight, professionally designed, flight tested and approved by Bob Hoover, light sport, what's not to like! :)

DSC_4367.jpg

Mine is almost ready to cover.
YellowShockCover.jpg

GoYellowTopNX88NX.jpg

It's going to look like this ( I hope!). You can learn lot's more at http://www.skyote.org .

My bi-plane is almost to the point of covering, but seeing as how I haven't worked on it for over a year, I may never get it finished.
Anyone interested in a project?

North Star

IMG_1744.JPG

After building 4 RVs,,,,.,... I still have a RV8 'Borrowed Horse'

But still had the building itch,,,,

I built a North Star Kit. It is a 180 hp Super Cub with many Alaska mods designed in. 90Kn cruse with 31" Alaska Bush Wheels. It is a good aircamper. I love cub flying. It is a real good addition to anyones airplane collection. I finished this airplane in April, 2004, it has 550 hours and has flown me to Idaho 6 times, Oshkosh twice, one time to the San Juan islands, what a trip! Fun airplane.
www.Customflightltd.com

Last edited:
Where is that Private Explorer

Something a bit more affordable; remember the Private Explorer, another Dean Wilson design?

2vsrtd3.jpg

Dan H's post reminded me of my one and only view of the "Explorer" -- Oshkosh, probably about 10 or 12 years ago. One of the most interesting experimentals I recall from before I got the RV bug.
Stand up room, a few pices of wicker furniture (not really practical, but quite a demonstration of inerior space), and and IO-540 with something like 110 knots cruise. How intriguing.
I recall that it was carried in the front of the Spruce catalog for a few years, then disappeared from there. I was never able to track it down after that. Was this totally a one-off design, did anyone build from plans via ACS?

It was designed by Dan Wilson and built at the Avid factory in Caldwell, Idaho for a Frenchman. They also built a twin with two O-540s and fixed pitch props. Both eventually crashed with no loss of life but he flew them quite a bit before their demise. Don

Pober Jr Ace

Started building a low and slow Pober Jr Ace this fall. Looking forward to expanding my wood and welding skills.
35d6lw6.jpg

Sam

Darn you Sam. Saw your post on your Legal Eagle, went to your web sight and got bit by the new build bug :mad:. I'm now the proud owner of XL A98 set of plans. My wife will not be happy for me to have another excuse for not getting things done around our home. Looks like fun though. :)

Darn you Sam. Saw your post on your Legal Eagle, went to your web sight and got bit by the new build bug :mad:. I'm now the proud owner of XL A98 set of plans. My wife will not be happy for me to have another excuse for not getting things done around our home. Looks like fun though. :)

You're not alone! Sam is directly responsible for switching my next project from the Zipster to the Legal Eagle XL as well! It was the video "Why we fly" that got me...:rolleyes::D

You're not alone! Sam is directly responsible for switching my next project from the Zipster to the Legal Eagle XL as well! It was the video "Why we fly" that got me...:rolleyes::D

Joe and Chad,

Welcome to simple, low-$$$$, low-n-slow flying without most of the regulatory constraints we are accustomed to "enjoying". :)

I put ~20 hrs on the Eagle XL this summer and fall and it is great "therapy" at 2-gallons of auto gas/hr. I have yet to climb the XL higher than 500' AGL....can't think of any reason to do so.....the deer are much easier to spot down low..... ;)

Well, I bought a Meco torch setup and am practicing my gas welding technique. Looks like there just might be a legal Eagle in my future. I guess I better finish the wheel pants on the RV first though.

I guess it won't hurt to have the plans in hand to look at. Order them this morning. :)

Last edited:
Back