What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Document: Turning your RV-4 into a fastback.

Still learning

Axel, even though I'm not building a -4, I still learned a lot from your document. I really appreciated how you covered your process step-by-step, including things you'll do differently next time.

In programming, we learned long ago that documentation during development is critical for understanding what we did, maintaining the product during its lifetime, training up the "new guys" who weren't there the first time (what we often call institutional memory), and most importantly, doing it better the next time around. Write-ups like yours, especially when they're "locked-down" in document form, are a great way to pass the torch to guys like me who are just starting.

I've learned a lot by digging up old posts in the forums, too, but sometimes photos in the archives have withered away as the hosts from which they were originally served have changed or gone missing. That's a tragedy for us beginners. And if Paul's many write-ups ever lose their pictures, it may be like restarting civilization all over from the beginning! :)

Thanks again for taking the time to teach what you've learned.

--
Stephen

Axel, even though I'm not building a -4, I still learned a lot from your document. I really appreciated how you covered your process step-by-step, including things you'll do differently next time.

Thanks again for taking the time to teach what you've learned.

Stephen

Your welcome.

Thanks

Axel

You will receive a lot of thank you messages for this.

I doubt I will convert my 4 to a fastback...... I want to fly it soon........... but if I build another it will be a fastback. I always look forward to your posts.

Thanks for being of help to other members.

Steve

Great Job Axel - it's all about giving back what we have learned, and makes you feel good!

I've learned a lot by digging up old posts in the forums, too, but sometimes photos in the archives have withered away as the hosts from which they were originally served have changed or gone missing. That's a tragedy for us beginners. And if Paul's many write-ups ever lose their pictures, it may be like restarting civilization all over from the beginning! :)

Stephen

This is a big fear of mine as well - I try to do all of my composition off-line, and save everything so that if Picasa every goes away, I can reconstruct the important stuff. Hmmm....probably time to do another backup....

Very nice

Thanks for the document Axel. Any rough estimate of time involved for a fastback conversion?
Eric

Thanks for the document Axel. Any rough estimate of time involved for a fastback conversion?
Eric

Sir,
I don't know exactly how much time I spent. I was tracking the build by hours and posting all my work. I found out I was spending as much time posting and tracking as I was on building. So I stopped the detail tracking. It should take you much less time than it took me. I did not have a clue when I started. I spoke with Bill F about his fastback and got some pics from him. That was about it. Good luck.

Back