What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Risky Paint Scheme...

rph142

Well Known Member
These are just a few of my finished parts so far. I'm going for what I call the "preview plans" look. I have some cool graphics for the fuse and wings that are going to tie it all together. It will be a love it or hate it job for sure!

xmmyoz.jpg

That is going to be really cool! That would have been a really handy airplane scheme to have around when I was building:D

OK, I like it too. Perfect when you prang the plane away from home. Just make a text list of parts on your phone or send a picture to vans. What are you gonna do about plans revisions? Maybe cross em out and paint a new part number? Better yet, paint the new number on a patch and pop rivet it over the old number.

Very interesting

Rob,
How do you plan to "preview" cowling and tie it to the fuselage?

I haven't figured out the cowling yet, but a collage of #*%^ #%~#% would be the most realistic!

try to introduce some color as well...

interesting idea... though it will look plain white from a short distance away; you might consider adding some strategic color to carry the theme from a distance, perhaps by introducing some sections with the 'blue' protective film color and the pink cowling... perhaps even some cardboard box with the 'fragile high dollar aircraft parts handle with care' from the tail kit... heck even add some duct tape and a shipping label... all painted on of course ;)

Most original paint scheme for an RV I have seen in years Rob - I really love the concept - and the execution looks fabulous!

Paul

That will look great! I can't wait to see it in person.

I had thought of having my airbrushed so it looked like the blue plastic was still on it with the plastic removed for the rivet lines. So it would look like this, only in flying condition:

(Click to enlarge)

Really cool! You might want to consider building the 10, 20, 40 deg lines into the flap graphics (because after year you will have black wear lines there anyways).

Very Original!

I think that is extremely clever. Certainly one of the most original ideas I've seen. And it will look pretty cool. Its kind of like wrapping fish and chips in newspaper:D

The fuselage sides could have the drawings that show all the inside structure.
The cowl could have the cut-away view of the engine with all the systems shown (fuel lines, oil lines, cooler, carburation, etc) that looks like the finishing kit drawings.

Probably getting carried away here, but a few drops of red paint in particular areas where we've all shed blood would be cool. Like outlines of the gear towers on the -8.

Innovative!

Science meets art. Cool!

Even this guy who bought his RV already flying likes it. Plus, it'll help the next owner if they haven't built an RV (like me). Ha! :D

Very cool!!!

I thought of something like that too but it made my head hurt:D Unless you are painting yourself, your painter will be institutionalized when it is done.

Keep us posted!!!!

Risky Paint Scheme

Very cool. The cowl should definitely have an outline of the engine on it. Several race cars have a somewhat similar idea, the only one I could find is of a model of the BMW V12 LMR of 1998. It's a bit hard to see, but if you look closely the rear deck of the car has an outline of the top view of the engine, exhaust system, transmission, rear suspension and tires.

http://www.thomas-gersch.de/Minichamps/Motorsport/BMW V12 LMR/BMW_V12_LMR.htm

Cool.

...How 'bout some three-dimensional, airbrushed cutaway sections, like the poster that was sold on here?

Best,

Perhaps a 3-D effect decal of a rivet gun and a bucking bar that could go on the vertical fin so that it looks like it's resting on the empennage?

It really looks like it's going to be a good paint scheme! I'd love to see the finished product.

Love it!

Very cool!

I remember your mentioning it in another thread and I was quite intrigued. I'm a big fan of things that are unique and different. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Cheers,

What an interesting idea, it will be one of a kind. :)

I visited your "myrv3.com". You do great work building the 3, the ME background is showing. I liked the image of the St. Louis Arch among the photos, you must have just taken off from Cahokia.

Good luck with finishing and flying the airplane....it looks great.

These are great ideas. I think ill try to add a few 3D looking clecos here and there as well as maybe a bucking bar and rivet gun. The cowling seems like the perfect area for a cutaway design. I just need to find a really good airbrush or vinyl guy.

interesting idea... though it will look plain white from a short distance away; you might consider adding some strategic color to carry the theme from a distance

My wife said the same thing about adding color. Once the plane is together as a whole ill be able to visualize some color options. Most of the lines fade away at about 20 feet.

Brings to mind this classic.
I actually got the idea from that green 737. There are a few race cars and boats out there with similar schemes.

My wife and dogs are still asleep, which means its time to dot more rivets!

These are great ideas. I think ill try to add a few 3D looking clecos here and there as well as maybe a bucking bar and rivet gun. The cowling seems like the perfect area for a cutaway design. I just need to find a really good airbrush or vinyl guy.

My wife said the same thing about adding color. Once the plane is together as a whole ill be able to visualize some color options. Most of the lines fade away at about 20 feet.

I actually got the idea from that green 737. There are a few race cars and boats out there with similar schemes.

My wife and dogs are still asleep, which means its time to dot more rivets!

For color... how about a few "blood stains" on the prints? I second the blue plastic wrap in a few areas as well. How about a "duck in the gas tank" type graphic? I like your "out of the box" approach.

color

For color, you could paint it like the old VAF logo: front half painted with a regular paint scheme, then a transition to the plans look for the back half. Maybe do one wing each way. However you finish it, I think the idea is awesome! Good luck!
Paul

Very cool. The cowl should definitely have an outline of the engine on it.

...How 'bout some three-dimensional, airbrushed cutaway sections, like the poster that was sold on here?

Best,

Kirby Chambliss used to have his Edge 540 cowl done like this------before he went over to the Red Bull paint scheme.

Wish I had a photo of it, the detail was so dramatic I thought he had a cowl with clear panels in it.

Blood red

For color, it's gotta have some blood red on it, probably in an appropriate splatter or drop/smear pattern. I'm pretty sure every RV has some real blood on it somewhere.

Time

I can not guess how much time you have in masking. I used four colors and was sick of masking tape before I was done. You are a very patient man Rob. lots of cool ideas here to add to your already neat idea but if you go much further we'll see your airplane fly some time in the 20's. Here's my two cents worth, "do one side as you are doing with all the ideas given here but put a regular paint job on the other side". :D Looks like a great job so far, keep the faith.

Ver cool Rob

Im really looking forward to seeing this soon. I like the ideas of the engine outline on the cowl and possible the fade to "traditional" either one the side or as you move toward the tail. Hope to see you soon.

Copyright?

I'm sort of being tongue in cheek I guess, but have you considered that Van's owns the copyright to the plans? I'm sure they'd be fine with it, but you might want to run it by them before you get too far along.

opinion

at first i hated it then i remembered how nobody liked my paint schemes that much so rock on!!!!

Absolutely love it!

I can't wait to see what your cowl will look like!:D
That is one of the most unique paint jobs I have ever seen.

paint

Piper may have done a Navajo but I never heard about it. What I did see was an early Piper Cheyenne, which is a Navajo with PT6 Turboprop engines. I think it was yellow with black "blueprint"

Back