What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad Lands Fly In

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Who is going??? Vettermans Badlands Fly-In was really GOOD! last year.
Carol and I will be there in the Borrowed Horse.
Who else??

Me, Me!

I and the wife hope to be there. Larry and company put on a great little fly-in.

We will be there...

I know for sure the State of Wisconsin will be well represented. We should have 3 or 4 planes at least.

Fun time!

Sept

Thurs 9/8 thru Sun 9/11.

It's in the calendar section of the site with all the details.

Cool! Walt will be there dynamically balancing props!

From Larry Vetterman....

Badlands flyin is scheduled for Sept 8-11 at Hot Springs, SD (HSR). We are including an extra day as there are two additional events scheduled this year. Arrive Thurs. South of the Border buffet at one of our great restaurants. We will have the complete upper floor to ourselves.

Friday. bus trip to Mount Rushmore and Keystone, or Walt Aranow has agreed to bring his prop balancing machine, so if your engine has a little vibration, get it balanced by the best while you are here. We will have the grill fired up for burgers or hot dogs at the airport on Fri. Evening - Pulled pork meal along with your favorite beverage at Vetterman's hangar. Last year one attendee, whose name will not be mentioned did his best to empty the beer cooler, so this year we are prepared for him.

Saturday, fly the Black Hills, ie. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Bear Butte, Wall (lunch at Wall) fly the Badlands and return to Hot Springs. Saturday evening meal at Allen Ranch -choice of steak or salmon. This was a huge success last year.

Transportation- There will be buses running all weekend long from the airport to the motels.

Motels I am working on the motel list and will post it shortly.

Reservations- Once the motel list is posted you can make your own reservations and just mention the FLYIN for the best rates. We are requesting that you get in touch with us so we can setup all the meals and all of the other behind the scene items to make this an enjoyable weekend . email [email protected] or [email protected] phone 605 745 5932 Vetterman Exhaust or 612 790 1051 Dennis Lewis (HSR fueling). One final note, all we need is a good weather weekend and you will have a great time here. The Black Hills area is beautiful this time of year.

Motel information: Stay USA (formerly the Holiday Inn Express where most of you have stayed in the past. Phone 605 745 4411. Rate includes hot breakfast, 2 hot tubs and new swimming pool. $75.00 to $69.95 Mention FLYIN Budget Host 605 745 3130. Family owned and operated no breakfast or pool , 2 people -2 beds. $45.00. Mention FLYIN.

Buses will pick you up at the motels and a bus schedule will be posted and included in the registration packet.
Registration costs: Includes transportation from the airport to the motels all weekend, hangar party and Saturday cook out at the Allen Ranch.
Arriving Thursday $80.00 per person $80 includes the mexican buffet thurs evening and the bus trip to Mount Rushmore on Fri. AM. Arriving Friday $50.00 per person, Arrivng Saturday $30.00 per person.

Larry Vetterman

Last edited:
I think I heard from the Logistics Officer that we will not be there this year, but are planning on it next year.

Anyone flying in from the east / south east check out the new flyin restaurant at Norkolk, NE. (KOFK)

Great food.

I had a great time last year. Been waiting all year to go back. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Twoop

I and the wife hope to be there. Larry and company put on a great little fly-in.

Well if Seismo and Red are going, then we have to go!! :) From everything I've heard it's a good time. Now hopefully work won't get in the way....

I plan to be there - not sure who's going with yet though. Of course, I have to actually have a plane with an engine in it... hopefully b/o parts will be in tomorrow, and engine back together this weekend. Then maybe 2 weeks to reinstall, yeah, Badlands should work.

We will be there

Obviously Larry the guy who tryed his best to empty your beer cooler is trying to cut in on my action ;). We have fully enjoyed the last couple of years and will be back this year weather permitting. For those who havent had a chance to attend this one you are missing out.
Ryan

Next year----

My wife and I really wanted to go, but just not in the cards this year. The Osh trip depleted both our funds, and her vacation time:(

Hopefully Larry is going to repeat the event next year.

We will be there with the Bearhawk again. We had a blast last year. I just hope the weather cooperates. We are aiming for a Friday arrival.

Just in case you missed it on the home page...

Note from Larry Vetterman Concerning the Badlands Fly-In
VAF_127%20Aug.%2030,%202011%2019.29.07.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I won't make it this year, bummer for me. Only one hour on the new engine, and we are out of town this weekend. I need a handful of hours on the new engine before leaving town. Have fun!

Looks like I am going to be at the Fly-in. The bad part is I won't be flying. My wife and I are taking a road trip through SD and I am planning a side trip over to the airport. Can't wait. :)

Looks like I am going to be at the Fly-in. The bad part is I won't be flying. My wife and I are taking a road trip through SD and I am planning a side trip over to the airport. Can't wait. :)

Just tape wings and a prop to your car, no one will notice. ;)

Hope to see you there!

We are having a mass arrival of RV-12s! Both of us will be there Thursday! :D

And just to update the original post, we are planning to arrive Weds afternoon, this will give me all day Thurs to do prop balances if required. This way, the wife and I can also have some R&R time on Fri and Sat.

See ya all there, and the weather looks like it should be great!

Thursday

The mass arrival for the 12s is going to be awesome...we should have made shirts like the spam canners at Osh :D

Changing the mechanical fuel pump this morning. It appears that I am not crazy and it is certainly on the fritz. Further inspection reveals some oil on the bottom side of the current pump. Still a little confused as to why it decides to work correctly after about the first 5 minutes of flight. It got as low as 1.5 psi on my first flight of the day on Friday...talk about pucker factor!

Anyway...

Let's just hope this gets us all squared away and ready to roll bright and early Thursday morning!

Me too

Flying in on Friday morning. Hope to get there in time for the Mount Rushmore tour. Newly painted RV7A. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I still planning on being there, Driving up Friday am. Power Play is still down for maintenance supercharger work. Sent the blower out for oil leak and the company claimed a 10-day turn-a-round on the repair. As of today it?s been 21 days and still don?t have it :mad:. The good side is extra wheels for food & etc?
See ya there,
Thomas

badlands

I've read about Larry's fly-in for a couple of years now, but I've felt like it was a little too far from home to justify flying there. Well....I've changed that line of thinking and next year I will be there.

The mass arrival for the 12s is going to be awesome...we should have made shirts like the spam canners at Osh :D.

I hope the ground crew can handle the traffic! ;)

Weather is looking fantastc for the fly in. Should be a great time. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and renewing old friendships.

Last edited:
Guys - I've had a situation arise at home that is going to prevent from attending this years fly-in as planned. I am very disappointed that I won't be there and hope my cancelling does not inconvenience anyone that was planning on getting their prop balanced at the fly-in.

Hope everyone has a great time and sorry I won't be there to enjoy it with you.

If this weather breaks in time, My wife and I will be flying in from KLEX, meeting up with a friend at KMTO. Hope to be there early afternoon Thursday!
Nordo

Make sure when you go by Bear Butte you go around the north side and make an extra buzz over my Dad's runway (his place ajoins the Butte and you can't miss the long runway...and it's on the chart as Bruch Airfield).

Cheers,
Stein

Both the wife and I have to work Friday and Saturday afternoon, so unable to attend the Badlands Fly-in.

BUT we have time for a quick trip to Polson MT Fly-in on Flathead Lake. Anyone else from the NW that can't make South Dakota stop by 8S1 on Saturday. We'll be there friday evening and sat morning

PIREP

The weather is fantastic here at the Badlands Fly in. Early this am we all took an "unmarked" bus bus to MT. Rushmore and a shoping stop in Keystone, SD before heading back to the airport for a nice BBQ dinner. The people are fantastic, great RVs, good food, adult beverages. Lots of scenery, buffalo, prong horns, prarie dogs, and other critters to look at. A very cool place to visit.

If you have not been to the Badlands Fly in put it on the calender for next year. Larry Vetterman ( started LOE) know's how to build a great fly in from his decades of experience. Get in on the ground floor of what will truly become a classic fly in. "It don't get no better than this."

Don't let Larry V. fool ya, he provides plenty of beer! I could have had a couple more beers if a certain Texan would not have told me the beer was gone! :mad: Is that legal in TX?

Why has no one posted pictures? Way too busy having fun!

Plenty of rooms available, plenty of steaks available for the Sat night banquet. Call Larry in the AM, get in your airplane and see you at dinner! Why have an RV if you don't use it? :confused:

Last edited:
For those of you that didn't make the Bad Lands flyin you don't know what your missing. Were having a great time. The pine trees smell so good you'd think they were in the cockpit with you!;) Right Larry

For those of you that didn't make the Bad Lands flyin you don't know what your missing. Were having a great time. The pine trees smell so good you'd think they were in the cockpit with you!;) Right Larry

Whoa, you had someone put a pine cone in your plane hoping you would sit on it? What low life SOB would do something like that? :rolleyes:

Seriously VAF, we are have a great time. The flying today was world class. Calm, sunshine, 50 mile vis, great pilots, good conversation, cold barley malt, world class RVs, and dancing girls. Just seeing if you are awake! MT. Ruchmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Wall Drug, Badlands, and back to Hot Springs. Best trip I have been on. Well organized, good pilot breifings, could not have gone better.

Big steak dinner tonight, and I am hungry!

Last edited:
We had loads of fun the first two Banlands Fly-In's. Sorry to have to miss this year but first new grandbaby kept us away. See you next year.

10.7 hours

The Bad Lands Fly-In was a good time!!!

Perfect weather, Good friends, New friends, Cold Beer, Robert shared his wiskey. Fun music at the Saturday night dinner.

The 'Borrowed Horse' logged 10.7 hours from Hicks Airfield, T67, round trip to Hot Springs.
Thanks to Larry Vetterman and Cathy for hosting a fun Fly-In. And all the others that helped to make this this years highlite event!!

See you next year

Last edited:
A Few More

Deb and I managed to make it up to the Badlands fly in on Saturday. We arrived later in the afternoon and made it to Wall, S.D. for lunch. It was a two-hour flight out of Front Range airport and just a really beautiful day for flying.

Seeing as we were the last ones to arrive at 6V4 (around 12:30 PM), we did get a pretty decent shot of all the RVs on the ramp. We were greeted by the mayor of Wall, Dave Hahn, who came out and got us parked and gave us a couple of pens and LED lights. :) Thanks Dave.

A few shots from the trip.

dsc46932.jpg

After a short 10-minute walk into town, we found the main attraction.

dsc47032.jpg

Found this extinct creature in the "Back Yard" of the Wall Drug store.

dsc47202.jpg

The best close-up shot of Mt. Rushmore that we've ever taken. :(

dsc47282.jpg

Leaving Wall and headed over to Hot Springs, S.D. for the evening festivities at the Allen Ranch.

dsc47612.jpg

Flew over the Badlands en route to Hot Springs

dsc47752.jpg

This was our first time to the Badlands fly-in. We really would've liked to arrive on Friday and been able to spend some time meeting/socializing with everyone. We got to have dinner with, among others, Mel Asberry and his wife at the Allen Ranch. :cool: It was nice to meet them as well as some other new RVing friends.

Larry puts on a well-organized/fun fly-in. Next year we're planning on going back and arriving a little earlier.

Some side notes about the trip... This one was pretty close for us coming out of Colorado, only 221 NM. We spent around $210.00 on fuel and the hotel (no freebies this time). Another $40.00 for the steak/salmon dinner at the Allen Ranch, the bus transportation is included with this. Lunch at the Wall Drug store about, $12.00 and a new puzzle for the grandson, $14.00.

So all totaled $276.00 round-trip and a great weekend of flying and "expanding our circle of friends."

Regards,

Great Time in SD

Darlene and I had a really nice time meeting new friends and seeing the sights in Western SD. Larry put on a very nice event. It was our first time out to the Black Hills so the bus trip up to Mt Rushmore on Friday was perfect. The flying on Saturday through the Black Hills couldn't have been much better.

We logged 12.3 hours including Saturday's sightseeing.

Looking forward to getting back out there next year.

Thanks again Larry for putting this together.

Gary and Darlene Kremers
N715AB
Z98 Michigan

Bug mystery solved. :rolleyes:

On the way back from Hot Springs I had a a grass hopper still on the wing! He hung on the whole way! Well, :eek: when I landed I realized it was 1/2 of a grass hopper that had dried and stuck to the wing. :eek:

Make sure when you go by Bear Butte you go around the north side and make an extra buzz over my Dad's runway (his place ajoins the Butte and you can't miss the long runway...and it's on the chart as Bruch Airfield).

Cheers,
Stein

Beautiful country Steiner! That was a fun flyin. See you next year!

Bad Lands fly-in

We had a great trip, logged 13.2 on the hobbs. What a blast with incredible vis (but a lot of bumps coming back to TX.) Larry V. is a super organizer and a real friend. All went very smoothly, but I'll bet he is already in bed sound asleep!! :D
The food, bus trip, fly-out and folks was top notch.

First Fly-in

Wow! I guess we really know how to pick 'em. Marnie and I had a great time on our first fly-in trip with the 9A. Can Larry take credit for the weather too? :D Everything was perfect and we enjoyed meeting all the new friends.

Thanks Larry and everybody for making us feel welcome!

Marnie and Russ Dent
Las Cruces, NM

Badlands

Put this fly in on your list to make for next year! The Vettermans know how to put on a good one. Thanks Larry and Kathy. :):D

Back