What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans built RV-6 1st Flight Pics

Caveman

Well Known Member
Joe Underwood asked me to post some pics of his recent first flight. He posts on VAF as 1Oldguy.

This is a plans built RV. Not from a kit!

1st%20flight%20004.jpg

1st%20flight%20008.jpg

1st%20flight%20009.jpg

1st%20flight%20012.jpg

1st%20flight%20021.jpg

1st%20flight%20022.jpg

Nice! It looks like there's a fuel filler cap on the right wingtip for a tip tank, too.

Was everything done from plans, or were fibreglass parts bought from Vans?

Lots of special features

Nice! It looks like there's a fuel filler cap on the right wingtip for a tip tank, too.

Was everything done from plans, or were fibreglass parts bought from Vans?

Hopefully Joe will chime in and answer questions. I don't want to steal his thunder. I know there are lots of special features such as thicker skins in some areas, special engine cooling features, extended range tanks and a high compression O-320.

Very nice

Sharp looking airplane.

Actually we are spoiled with our kits. My Zenair Zodiac was supposed to have been a "kit" airplane but it was really nothing more than a set of plans and a pile of sheet metal..Well the spars and ribs were pre-formed. Several of those aircraft have been built from just plans however.

Its not that much harder..Just (a lot) more work and one has to make sure the build table is perfectly flat to act as a reference to avoid building a twist into structures where shouldn't be.

Frank

So he cut, drilled, punched, formed every piece of metal on that thing from hand?

That's amazing. Curious how many build hours went into it.

Manly!

Determined
Persistent
Skilled
Studly

Most of all, Patient.

I am building a non prepunched 6, I can only imagine how much more effort having to fabricate everything requires.

Very Impressive.:cool:

Actually we are spoiled with our kits. My Zenair Zodiac was supposed to have been a "kit" airplane but it was really nothing more than a set of plans and a pile of sheet metal..Well the spars and ribs were pre-formed. Several of those aircraft have been built from just plans however.

The early RV kits actually had few preformed parts. Ribs and bulkheads. No holes came in the kits. Not even lightening holes.

The early RV kits actually had few preformed parts. Ribs and bulkheads. No holes came in the kits. Not even lightening holes.

Actually, they just shipped us a box of Bauxite ore. We did the rest.

Back in the days when men were men and ....

Oh well, you get the idea. ;-)

Determined
Persistent
Skilled
Studly

Most of all, Patient.

I am building a non prepunched 6, I can only imagine how much more effort having to fabricate everything requires.

Very Impressive.:cool:

Very impressive indeed!

That's how it was done in the good old days. We are spoiled with the kits of today - but it is the reason there are over 7000 RV's flying.

Very nice job, Joe. Your skills are like a lost art.

Actually, they just shipped us a box of Bauxite ore. We did the rest.

Back in the days when men were men and ....

Oh well, you get the idea. ;-)

That must be one of the later easy kits. I just got pencil drawing of an airplane on a napkin and a map marked with a X showing where to dig. :D

They do still sell the Plans, but they probably require you to have an existing builder number. Buy an old tail kit from someone and you can transfer the builder number to yourself.

Last edited:
Plans built RV6

Thanks for all the kind words about my RV. I'll try to fill in some details about it with the short version. When you bought your RV6 plans (or any homebuilt airplane as far as I know) they are serial numbered and you are licensed to build ONE airplane from those plans. Next big step is to have access to a C&C milling machine to carve out the dies for the formed parts (ribs,fusalge bulkheads,ect....). Just happened to have a friend who's company lost a big government contract that had such equipment, the will and ability to pull that off. After the forming dies are made just mash out the parts like you were making a kit. Remember I said "short version" :eek:. Follow the plans and build straight and in no time you have yourself an airplane (ten short years). I owe alot to Wesley for this help to get this started:). Also Wyndal and Greg for hours of head scratching about how are we going to do that...:confused: Then making it happen.
I registered my plane as an RV6.5 because of the changes (improvements:rolleyes:) that were done to the airframe,ie., thicker skins on the control surfaces,out board wing pannels, rear of the fuselage. This was done to correct some of the problems the 6's were showing in these areas. Time will tell here... Engine mount, cowling, canopy bubble, wheelpants and wing tips are Vans. Engine we built in house (Greg) with work on cylinders by Barrett's of Tulsa (best in the west) and Aircraft Specialties of Tulsa for steel parts and tips on the "airboat" mods to my 320. Great thing to do to the 320 Lycoming but bad news for your buddies that spent a lot of extra money for their 360:rolleyes: I tried to incorporate every speed mod I have seen on RV airframs through the years during my build that I knew would work to make my little 6.5 go. Seems to of paid off so far as I can red line the airframe about 150 rpms short of the engine red lines at 3,000 AGL. Granted it does not climb to great . I pulled my "Preformance Propeller" and sent it off to Frank to get a little repitching done to pick up that 150 rpms on takeoff. The thing about the airboat engine mod is it works on rpm and lacks the torque of the 360 on the bottom end. I feel certain when we get the prop dailed in I'll be a happy camper with this set up. I've used this family of propellers for the past 30 some years and always had great service with them. The first propeller of this family was a Bernie Warnekie "All Most Constant Speed Propeller" and it was great on my Lazer and feel I'll have a winner when it is matched to this airframe engine combo. I did turn my wing tips into aux fuel tanks. Will hold and extra 10.2 gallons per side. There is an electric shut off and fuel pump in each wing to transfer fuel to the main tanks when they show 1/2 full. The mounting set up we did for these tip tank increased my wing spand by one inch on each side so I guess I have the long wing version of the RV6. This was probably a waste of time because when I started this project I was used to setting in an airplane for 5 to 8 hours a day. Not any more, this "10ldguy" with out depends can not do that any more if you get my drift. Best use of these tanks now will be when I luck on to some less expensive fuel some where. Well I've rambled longer than I intended here. Looking forward to meeting and enjoying the company of the RV world this coming spring. Just don't pick my plane apart when you see it on the ramp, it was not build to be a "Oshkosh" winner but a traveling maching for my wife and me in our retirement years which got here WAY TOO SOON. Enjoy every day and safe flying;)..... Oh yes, I've got the RV grin!!!!

Last edited:
Plans and Kits

Nice RV6....congrats! To add to the discussion....Oshkosh Airventure (and most EAA Judged Airshows) recognize both 'Kit' and 'Plans' built Experimentals. They award plaques and trophies to BOTH catagories as you can see below. Many RV's have won in the 'kit' catagory over the years.....there have also been a few that have won in the 'plans' catagory....although I didn't see any listed for 2010:

2010 Aircraft Award Winners

HOMEBUILT AWARDS

Kit Outstanding Workmanship - Plaque
Michael Hodge, Roanoke, Texas
2006 Glasair III, N8MH

Dan Hall, Aliso Viejo, California
2001 RV-6A, N670SB

James Woodley, Wasilla, Alaska
2009 Glasair Super II RG, N816WL

Cor Wester, Delaware, Ontario
2010 RV-7, C-FZEY

F. Knotts, Perryburg, Ohio
2008 Lancair IV-P, N4XE

Plans Outstanding Workmanship - Plaque
Ben Ellison, Bellevue, Washington
2009 Gweduck, N204EM

Mark M. Huebbe, St. Peters, Missouri
2010 Sonex, N244HB

Chris May, Owensboro, Kentucky
1981 Corben Baby Ace, N3787Y

Robert Dalzell, Owensboro, Kentucky
1974 Corben Baby Ace, N60CA

Kit Champion - Bronze Lindy
Robert Gibbons, Sumter, South Carolina
2010 RV-8, N58RG

Chuck Brietigam, Louisville, Kentucky
2010 CT Cruiser, N60UP

Walter Bestgen, Grass Valley, California
2008 Lancair IV-PT, N900WB

L.S. Reid, Boise, Idaho
2010 Glasair Sportsman, N9771

Jim Gray, Evergreen, Colorado
2008 RV-8, N747JG

Matthew Greenway, Medway, Massachusetts
2007 RV-6, N447MG

Mark Smith/ John McBean, Boise, Idaho
2010 Kitfox Super Sport, N12KA

Russell Steiner, Asheville, North Carolina
2009 Lancair Legacy, N2AA

John Nystrom, Placitas, New Mexico
2009 RV-3B, N3NU

Plans Champion - Bronze Lindy
Charles Brownlow, Wild Rose, Wisconsin
2009 Hatz Classic, N741HC

John Kerr, Logan, Utah
2009 Hatz Classic, N687HZ

Dennis Oelmann, Cedar Falls, Iowa
1989 Cozy, N261DM

James Rodrian, Grafton, Wisconsin
2010 Defiant, N403R

Chris Christiansen, Tempe, Arizona
2009 Savor, N219SE

Reserve Grand Champion Kit Built - Silver Lindy
Wayne McMaster, Greenville, Indiana
2010 RV-7, N767WM

Reserve Grand Champion Plans Built - Silver Lindy
Craig Laporte, Gainesville, Virginia
2009 Wittman Tailwind, N174LF

Grand Champion Kit Built - Gold Lindy
Rick Gray, Vincent, Ohio
2008 F1 Rocket, N251RG

Grand Champion Plans Built - Gold Lindy
Mark Marino, Duluth, Minnesota
2005 Hatz Bantam, N101HB

RV6

Anyone know if RV-6 plans are still available from Vans or someone else?

If you approach Vans about building an RV6 you will get a very curt reply and shown the RV7. They will not issue a new serial number for the RV6. You have to do what I did an buy and old empenage kit and then go to it. I think my serial number is even older than Colin Petersons! I'm sort of going about it like 1Oldguy, but it's still early days. Keeps me off the street and out of the pub!

Cheers,
Andrew.

RV6

Joe,
Fantastic looking airplane, I thought that the pictures looked like KGOK. I'm glad that you were able to get it finished and apparently you were able to keep Wyndal and Greg busy and out of trouble. If you get down around KSLR, give me a call.

Jim Lewman
RV4 sold
PA-18 replica under construction

What a gorgeous airplane! Such inspiration... :D

Hi Katie,

Speaking of building things, I keep looking at your website to see where you are at in the rebuild of your RV3, its hard to tell from the photo's on your website how much is left to be completed?

Cheers

Back