What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine crate- keep or trash

Little Wing

Hello,
Just curious what most folks do with their engine crates? I've kept mine for a couple years now but it's really in the way. Any market for used crates?

Thanks,
Rod

Anything made of wood I repurpose, convert into jigs, tables, steps, and so on. With the price of lumber these days I can't bring myself to throw wood away.

Engine crate

Anything made of wood I repurpose, convert into jigs, tables, steps, and so on. With the price of lumber these days I can't bring myself to throw wood away.

What he ^ said.
Mine was mostly cardboard and gave it's life to get the engine out. There was no way to pull the engine out of all that foam without destroying the crate. It died an honorable death.
All my kit crates were re-purposed into hangar shelves. If pallets weren't so difficult to disassemble, I would make something out of them too!:D

Give it to somebody at your airport with the provision that you can’borrow’ it if you ever need to. I did this at my airport to a guy who builds engine for people.

I kept mine and was glad I did. When my engine was impacted by the Superior Crankshaft AD it was worth its weight in gold, very easy to package and ship the engine for repair. I did disassemble it for storage, that way it takes very little room in the hangar.

Crates are great

Tell your chapter-mates about it. Someone always needs one at some time.

It’s one of those things. If you keep it you will never need it. The day you give it away there will be an issue with your engine and you wish you had it.

Oliver

I kept the steel angle fittings but repurposed the crate itself. With brackets I can rebuild a crate if needed in a couple hours. Hangar space is to valuable to keep unused items that can be rebuilt.

What engine are you guys getting that it comes in a crate good enough to keep?

Mine came in a cardboard box full of spray foam, on a pallet that looks like it's molded out of beaver puke.

Back