What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP Request - David Clark One-X Headset

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
I know I'm stirring up a hornet's nest since everybody has their own reasons to like whatever headset they like. It's for those personal reasons that I'm giving consideration to purchasing a David Clark One-X headset.

Please don't tell me how well you like your Lightspeeds or Bose - they are not currently on my shopping list.

If you have a One-X I'd like to hear your impressions of their performance in a high noise environment like an RV or similar aircraft. If you no longer own a One-X, I would welcome learning why you decided to use something else. Even better if you've been able to do a side-by-side comparison to substantiate your decision-making process.

Of course, if you currently are trying to offload a One-X headset because your wife doesn't like their color, well, I'm open to a good deal! :p

As always, the sharing of knowledge and experience through this forum is greatly appreciated.

Bought one for my RV at completion. Just returned from CA, 15 hours. No head clamp feeling. Sound is good, very adjustable. No complaints. Will likely buy a 2nd one for my passenger as they do complain of headclamp with older DC 10-60.

I have a pair that I use in my RV-4. They tame the noise very well and are comfortable enough for use all day.

I?ve also been using the DC ProX for three years at my ?day job? with no complaints whatsoever.

The One X is the best headset I?ve ever owned. (Ex Bose and Lightspeed user)

DC One X PIREP

I like my DC One-X very much. I use it in RVs, Aeronca Champs, and Twin Comanches; works great in all.

I compared both BOSE models (X and A20) and 2 Lightspeeds (Zulu 3 and PFX) against the DC and chose the DC. Great performance, comfort, build durability and customer service; best of the bunch.

From a customer service standpoint, I've had various DC headsets over the years and with the few service requests I've had, never paid for a DC service event. Can't say the same for BOSE and my Lightspeed use has been pretty minimal with no service requests.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I switched to a Halo for use in the RV and other aircraft with canopies, due to headset/canopy clearance issues. The Halo is every bit as quiet as the ANR headsets and never needs batteries. But it is a bit more delicate than the others. Halo also made free repairs, even when I accidentally ripped out the wires.

Hope this helps,

George

Thanks for the feedback - very helpful indeed.

Now I just need to find a well-priced source of supply, and then drop some big hints to "Mrs. Claus"... :)

+1

I'll just add to the chorus. I use my One-X's in an old 182 and a J3 flown in standard summertime cub configuration and they are superb. I've owned the Pro-x for work flying since their release in 2013 and they have also been flawless. Showing a little wear and tear on the black parts but otherwise standing up well to the rigours of life on the road. Add the reversible mic and price 200 bucks below most competition and you really can't go wrong.

I am fully satisfied with my One X. It really does the job in my noisy RV-10. And the reason that I choose this ANR headset over the other well known brands is that typical David Clark can take a lot of abuse. Never have one that needed service. I am also looking for a deal for another set for my wife.

Michel

Last edited:
I am fully satisfied with my One X. It really does the job in my noisy RV-10. And the reason that I choose this ANR headset over the other well known brands is that typical David Clark can take a lot of abuse. Never have one that needed service. I am also looking for a deal for another set for my wife.

Michel
Mousse, if offers start flooding in please refer the extras to me. My wife needs a good ans headset as well. Thank you. Robert

Bought a pair of Pro-X

Very good but a bit loose for aeros so changed to One-X

Much better, just as comfortable and nearly as light.

Now, if anyone wants to buy a pair of Pro-X....... ? Contact me quickly, I am in FL on 9 Nov.

Mousse, if offers start flooding in please refer the extras to me. My wife needs a good ans headset as well. Thank you. Robert

Hey Robert - I've got dibs since I started the thread! :D:p

I'm very much appreciating the info so kindly being shared here. I still haven't found a smokin' deal on a One-X...

I should also add that I fly with a set of Halo's with custom molded earplugs. I love the darn things. My wife thought she couldn't wear earplug-style headsets. Yeah, I made the mistake of letting her try my Halos with the yellow foamy plugs. Big mistake. Now she has her own set of Halo's. The One-X would be the backup / passenger headset and the Bose X's with their ugly homemade repairs would be relegated to my other (very noisy) airplane.

As much as I love my passive David Clarks and their incredible rugged reliability, they just don't cut the mustard when it comes to protecting my hearing. With that being the case, I won't expose passengers to noise levels I wouldn't accept for myself. Thanks to the positive feedback here I feel a One-X is in my future.

Hey Robert - I've got dibs since I started the thread! :D:p

I'm very much appreciating the info so kindly being shared here. I still haven't found a smokin' deal on a One-X...

I should also add that I fly with a set of Halo's with custom molded earplugs. I love the darn things. My wife thought she couldn't wear earplug-style headsets. Yeah, I made the mistake of letting her try my Halos with the yellow foamy plugs. Big mistake. Now she has her own set of Halo's. The One-X would be the backup / passenger headset and the Bose X's with their ugly homemade repairs would be relegated to my other (very noisy) airplane.

As much as I love my passive David Clarks and their incredible rugged reliability, they just don't cut the mustard when it comes to protecting my hearing. With that being the case, I won't expose passengers to noise levels I wouldn't accept for myself. Thanks to the positive feedback here I feel a One-X is in my future.
Of course, Canadian JOY. I know my place in line. My wife loves her very old ANR 500 because it's so light weight, but it's near impossible finding replacement ear seals (and when I do they split almost instantly). So, I'm tossing the 500s (She has two sets) in favor of newer technology (but within a reasonable price). I, like you, use Halo and Clarity Aloft.

Robert

LoL @ Robert - no worries - I was just pokin' fun at you. From comments here I doubt we're going to see anybody saying they hate their One-X so much they're willing to give it away at fire sale pricing!

Now get this... In a fireside chat with my wife this morning I was talking about this discussion thread and my desire to purchase a One-X headset. The only sound in the room was my jaw hitting the floor after she suggested I just order a PAIR of One-X headsets, one for our main airplane and one for my "other" airplane!

(Before you ask, yes, I'm stickin' with this girl and no, she doesn't have a sister! LoL)

Back