What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Control for Tandem Seat Aircraft

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Opinions solicited. I'll be closing up wings hopefully by the end of this summer. Of course there are advantages; what is the need level for (electric) roll trim on tandem seat aircraft? I will have an autopilot. Thanks in advance.

Opinions solicited. I'll be closing up wings hopefully by the end of this summer. Of course there are advantages; what is the need level for (electric) roll trim on tandem seat aircraft? I will have an autopilot. Thanks in advance.
Nice to have, but not a hard requirement. I put roll trim in all my projects.

Carl

I have it in my-4

I installed electric roll trim in my -4. Its handy to have, and I'm glad I did...not a big factor in short sorties, but on cross country you will be glad to have it.

Nice to have, but not a hard requirement. I put roll trim in all my projects.

Carl
I installed electric roll trim in my -4. Its handy to have, and I'm glad I did...not a big factor in short sorties, but on cross country you will be glad to have it.

Completely agree. I have roll trim on both sticks and it is so nice especially on long X-country flights. My thought is I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. YMMV

:cool:

Last edited:
fixnflyguy, did you install spring assist or aero tab roll trim? I'm thinking of installing something along the lines of the Lancair aileron trim on my 7.

With AP, no need for roll trim. Adds weight, complexity and cost. I have it on the -8 and never touch it; had it on the Rocket (trim tab) and removed it. Same with rudder trim, BTW.

I installed the trim servo in the left aileron, and made a small flush tab similar to the elevator tab in theory. I have all the controls for trim and flaps on a MAC stick grip. Never have to reach for anything.

Back