What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFIS Plumbing Kits

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I don't plan on closing up my wings until the end of my build, but I thought I'd do as much on the guts of them as I can right now while I'm waiting on the fuselage kit. I'm not sure if I'll be going with a Garmin or Dynon panel yet. Does that choice change how I'd need to plumb the pitot/AOA run into the wing, or is that generic enough that I could do that now and get it checked off the list?

The Avery and Dynon kits that Aircraft Spruce sells have different fittings in them (straight vs 90s, different 2 into 1 styles, etc). Is one combination of fittings more RV friendly over the other?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/averyefistoolkit.php?clickkey=4722916

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/averytookforskyview.php?clickkey=4722916

Both kits are good. I usually had fittings & tubing left over after everything was installed. Your results may vary but it's nice to be able to buy separate fittings if your scheme needs more.

The only thing really needing to be done as part of the wing bottom skin attachment is the pitot mount. Assuming you have planned on the appropriate wire, pitot and AOA wire runs (as in use of conduit or not, any extra rib holes, etc.) there in no reason to delay final wing skin riveting once the pitot mast is installed.

I used the Dynon pitot mast and pitot/AOA probe, as well as the kit of tubing and such - including static ports. Depending on your install you may need additional tubing fittings - available at Stein.

Suggestion. While you are waiting to do the fuselage pull the tanks off the wings. Put them on a bench with ~5 gallons of 100LL each. Let them sit up right, then upside down, then leading edge up for a few weeks in each position. Vent as needed depending on the position. This is a great way to find any weeping rivets before paint. As Murphy goes, on my final tank (#11) I got a leak (it did not show up doing the simple leak tests with the balloon and soapy water). I just finished the cut a hole in the rear baffle process to fix it. Now more gas and a few more weeks on the bench to verify all well.

Carl

I used the Dynon kit on my retrofit. It was almost too easy and I was skeptical about the fittings.

But it passed a pitot-static check this weekend WELL within the error margins (20') and it was fine.

Back