What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon and Garmin combo?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm working with Stein on an -8 panel. I'm ending up with a Skyview 10" screen, but Garmin radios.

Anyone else working this combination? Apparently the Skyview is able to load local field frequencies to the Garmin radios?

Any challenges working this combination? Any woulda, coulda, shouldas?

I'm working with Stein on an -8 panel. I'm ending up with a Skyview 10" screen, but Garmin radios.

Anyone else working this combination? Apparently the Skyview is able to load local field frequencies to the Garmin radios?

I have an HDX and a GTR 200 as my comm 2 (even though it's my primary). Dynon very easily sends the frequencies to the standby and I have a switch on my grip to flip it to active. Absolutely love it! I'm sure there are more features with the Dynon radio but I sure love my setup and won't change it on my next build.

My other comm is a GNS-430 and I have to enter the freqs manually.

Which Garmin radio?
Carl

Installation Manual Sec. 4-27.

But yes, it's impossible to answer the question without knowing what radio you're talking about.

Is it still true that Garmin coms are considered somewhat better than Dynon coms? I am also looking to upgrade my D180 setup to an HDX, but I already have Garmin coms (SL40s) and wondering if I should stay with them (versus switching them out for new Dynon coms).

I am learning that going from an older Dynon VFR panel to an upgraded IFR panel is a bit of a “Frankenstein” process unless you scrap everything and go 100% new.

Is it still true that Garmin coms are considered somewhat better than Dynon coms?

Depends who you ask. I will say that the clarity, reception range, and ease of use of my GTR-200 is so good that even if a Dynon comm is better I'm betting it's not really noticeable. I'm also betting that they are both stinking good comms.

One catch

The one catch with this (I have an HDX with GTR200) is that you can only control one radio from the Skyview. There are low tech ways around this, but they're a bit clumsy.

Is it still true that Garmin coms are considered somewhat better than Dynon coms? I am also looking to upgrade my D180 setup to an HDX, but I already have Garmin coms (SL40s) and wondering if I should stay with them (versus switching them out for new Dynon coms).

It was true prior to Dynon realizing that making a good comm radio had a lot more in it than they thought, and smartly partnering with Trig to offer a rebranded Trig radio with a Dynon label. It was a smart play and solved their comm radio issues.

Just been reading through the Dynon HDX manual. It appears that SkyView can change active frequency of some legacy Garmin radios (SL30, SL40) but for the GTR200 it's only the standby frequency that can be updated, while the radio is capable of full remote support through the G3X. Does anyone know why this is the case? Is that because SkyView only communicates via serial and not CAN bus? Was hoping to get a full remote support via SkyView.

Does anyone know if SkyView can remote control the current Garmin Mode C transponder? The manual is a little thin on that side.

You can only change the standby frequency on the GTR 200 itself, as it is with most radios. You need to flip flop with active to tune the active. This is easily done from the HDX. The only thing you can't do operationally from the HDX is turn on monitoring of the standby channel. In practice I use the GTR200 flip flop switch because it's a single button press most of the time, but I never tune the radio with its own controls.

What Claude said.

On my control stick I used one button to flop the freqs on the GTR-200 and one to activate monitor function. One of the best decisions I ever made during the build. I use the HDX to transfer freqs and with my left hand push the swap button on the stick. Transfer weather freq to standby and monitor as needed.

Slightly diff approach while IFR but you get the gist.

Ah okay so the SkyView does the same what a G3X would do? Send a frequency that gets stored as standby and is able to swap active and standby? That make sense.

Last edited:
Back