What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One of those days

Davea320

Well Known Member
Got to spend a large portion of the day working on the RV and accomplished very little. Started out working on one of my infinity stick grips to replace a push button with a toggle switch. Disassembly went well, trying to install the tiny wires and solder in place quite another story. Think I need a magnifier. Still managed to kill about two hours on this task.

Next I decided to finish mounting the ElectroAir coil pack on my engine mount using Adel clamps. Got three AN4 bolts installed, but the fourth had to be aligned perfectly to clear the holes in the clamp. Never did get it to work, so may have to dream up some other way of securing that last corner of the coil pack. BTW I hate working with Adel clamps.

Lastly, the thin coat of epoxy I applied yesterday to the canopy fairing had to be sanded off and redone. So, lots of time in the shop with not much to show for it. Maybe it was because I had one eye on the tv watching NCAA conference tournament BB. Haha

Hope your day went better and there’s always tomorrow, at least I hope so.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7VoBh6e5R&add&sid=

All of this in ONE DAY! Keep doing whatcha doing every day and you will be in the air in no time :)

Different day

Different day different outcome. Other stick grip switch changed went much better, but that *#@$ canopy fairing still has blemishes.

Adel clamp pliers. Priceless.

Attachments

• AEA69959-C2C9-404B-A7BC-D178ECCAD5F3.jpg
    AEA69959-C2C9-404B-A7BC-D178ECCAD5F3.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 231
Reminds me when I was building. I remember I would get dirty pi$$ed when a task that should take 15 minutes took 2 hours. haha Those are the days that I really threw the F bombs around.

But it was a day building an airplane

And let’s face it, it’s rare that a day building is worse than a day at work, or that a day working is better than any day building. Not saying it can’t happen, but it’s rare. :)

Reminds me when I was building. I remember I would get dirty pi$$ed when a task that should take 15 minutes took 2 hours. haha Those are the days that I really threw the F bombs around.

This is me pretty much every time I work on the airplane.

I mean, I'm learning a lot, but still...

I got to meet Mike Patey at Oshkosh last year. I asked him how he is so productive and able to build these airplanes. He built a lancair with a IO780 and replaced it with a Pratt & Whitney turbine. He built a highly modified STOL Wilga he called Drego with a turbine. His current airplane project called"Scrappy" is a monster STOL plane with insane wing leading edge and trailing edge high lift devices, an off-road suspension and gigantic tires. The IO 780 makes a comeback with this massive air boat prop. He is great at design and fabrication.

So what did he say. Avoid distractions. Have all your food and drinks in the shop. No long breaks. Keep working until the task is finished. Watching his videos you see he starts in early morning and keeps going until task is complete, even late into night and into twilight. I don't know what is video edited, However Mike is a monster, famous for stamina. He does complicated building in one work session. He works fast. What he does in a day would take me days. I think about it, plan and not build. Some thinking and planning is needed especially for something new you never have done. But Mike is such an experienced builder he just does it. He also has a very well equipped shop.

Last edited:
He also has a very well equipped shop.

Oh ya, watch the YouTube video where he tours his "hangar". It has literally everything a guy would want in there. No expense is ever spared. Despite that, I agree; he is a legend of a builder. In addition, he is also very good with the engineering behind his decisions.

Taming the Adel clamp

Make several of these and Adel clamp frustration will mostly be a thing of the past

Attachments

• IMG_2135.jpg
    IMG_2135.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 136
HFS Adel clamp installation tool

Just like the VAF folks here: post a problem you’re having and some kind soul gives you a solution, enter David Howe from HFS Mfg and his Adel clamp installation tool. He sent me this neat little tool after my whining about trying to install an Adel clamp in a tight spot. Used it this afternoon on a clamp to the engine mount for my ElectroAir coil pack and it worked like a champ. Thanks a bunch David. Gotta love VAF and the folks here willing to help a guy out.

Attachments

• E7A97D46-9F7E-4115-89CD-F15D281B0F72.jpeg
    E7A97D46-9F7E-4115-89CD-F15D281B0F72.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 98
  • A7D452E6-321E-4E01-8181-D57E09351486.jpg
    A7D452E6-321E-4E01-8181-D57E09351486.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 102
But Mike is such an experienced builder he just does it. He also has a very well equipped shop.

The shop is also equipped with a live-in full time helper. Not to be overlooked when assessing Mike's superhuman abilities. We would all get a lot more done with that kind of resource.

Back