What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Density Altitude Starting Problems

Frankster13

Does anyone have any guidance on high density altitude starting? The last two trips I had difficulty starting. I have an RV-14A/IO-390 and after a few hours I came back to the plane and had trouble starting. I am starting on right ignition (electronic ignition) and left mag off, lean, and throttle at high idle. I think I am advancing the mixture forward to rich too soon. The density alt was 7,100. Any thoughts? It took a while but finally got it started. Not sure what I did right or wrong but suspect I was moving the mixture too far forward to rich when it began to start.

Last edited:
O-390, or IO-390? (Suspect IO)
A bit more detail of your engine and installation might be helpful.

390's tend to flood easily from my experience, the LH mag is usually an impulse or shower of sparks?

If you are starting at 1000 RPMs, the mixture is controlled mostly by the idle mixture, not the red knob.

I have been to denver several times with DA over 10K and never had an issue starting with the red knob all the way in. I agree that it is likely a hot start technique issue.

Larry

I have a 14A with a 390. I moved to Colorado Springs this summer and the field is about 6500'. I've been cold starting with the mixture out about 1/2" and a little more to taxi around the field; starts first spin that way. When hot in the mountains, I've found that I should have the mixture at cutout, then advance to about 3/4" from the full in position after it starts.

I'm based in Durango, CO...field elevation 6,689 ft. I've got an O-360-A1A. I don't do anything special at all for starting and it fires up in ~1 rev every time.

Prime 2-3 times if cold...maybe 1 squirt if hot.
Prop full fine
Mixture full rich
Advance throttle 1/2" to 1"
Engage starter with both ignitions energized..PMag + IC Slick mag

Same procedure regardless of field elevation. DA's here are routinely over 9,000 ft during the summer.

Last edited:
Back