What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D-180 to Skyview

bobg56

Well Known Member
I'm sending in my D-180 to Dynon for repair, it has been locking up, not coming on at power up and also during flight showing unusual pitch attitudes. It is from 2010. My question is has anyone converted to Skyview? I know the instrument panel and switches will need replacing and the wire harness or most of it ,also the approximate cost, I can do the installation so I won't need to pay labor...thanks, Bob

I did what you are considering. There were 2 ways to accomplish this when I did mine in 2016. At that time there were conversion harnesses available. A perhaps better way was to take out all the old D180 harnesses and put in the newer fuselage, options and Skyview harnesses. You can review Section 42D and Sections 31B of the original KAI plans to see how this goes. I took out all the old harnesses and installed the new rather than use the conversion harnesses per Section 42D. I still needed to prep the airframe per 42D to accept the Skyview boxes.

Dynon was offering a rebate on D180 equipment if you converted to Skyview and I took advantage of that. After selling my other avionics my costs at that time were about $10K. Some research should get you enough info whether this conversion still a viable option.
Here is a link to my old VAF posts on the conversion: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=142898
The pictures from that old thread are no longer in the posts, but I can email some of those.

Old and new pics attached:

Attachments

• P1060878.jpg
    P1060878.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 7RV_3937.jpg
    7RV_3937.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 107
Converting D-180 to SkyView

I'm sending in my D-180 to Dynon for repair, it has been locking up, not coming on at power up and also during flight showing unusual pitch attitudes. It is from 2010. My question is has anyone converted to Skyview? I know the instrument panel and switches will need replacing and the wire harness or most of it ,also the approximate cost, I can do the installation so I won't need to pay labor...thanks, Bob

Bob,

Email me. I have a board that will make your conversion easy. Email me at [email protected] and I will pass on the info to help you.

Brian

Back