What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switching oil type question

tom paul

I am switching from Phillips 66 Type M 20-50, which was put in 25 hours ago by mistake, due to a mistakenly ordered case of oil, back to Phillips 66 X/C 20-50. I only have 21 hours on the filter, so I'd rather not change that. Will it be OK to switch oil types without changing the filter? There will be a filter's worth of the Type M mixing in with the X/C.
Thanks

I would have no hesitation mixing oils. Although I would change the filter too, if it was me.

Why change the filter? The filter can easily go 40-50 hrs. I think sometimes we go overboard on things thinking more is better or changing things more often is better.

Keep the filter on…. No way that little mix of oil could be noticeable, and the filters are not oil type specific.

Just wondering if it is OK to mix the oil types

I am leaning toward not changing the filter. I just wonder if there is some mysterious interaction between the dispersant x/c and the non-dispersant type M that I should be aware of.

I'm old school. I never understood why one would put clean oil in an engine and run it through a dirty filter. I never change oil without changing the filter.

If anything, I would change the filter more often than the oil.

BTW, mixing brands is fine.

Why change the filter? The filter can easily go 40-50 hrs. I think sometimes we go overboard on things thinking more is better or changing things more often is better.

I change my oil every 25 hours and change the filter every time I change the oil. Can't think of a good reason not to do so. Chalk it up to personal idiosyncrasy. Going 50 hours is probably OK. Probably doesn't hurt anything.

I change my oil every 25 hours and change the filter every time I change the oil. Can't think of a good reason not to do so. Chalk it up to personal idiosyncrasy. Going 50 hours is probably OK.

Yeah, 50 hours is “probably” OK since that is what Lycomings recommends with a filter…… ;)

Filters

I change my oil every 25 hours and change the filter every time I change the oil. Can't think of a good reason not to do so. Chalk it up to personal idiosyncrasy. Going 50 hours is probably OK. Probably doesn't hurt anything.

Have you tried to get filters lately?

The real tragedy is that the cost and availability of a filter warrants the contemplation to keep or change. +1 for Clean oil and clean filter

I always think these discussions are funny because all SAE oils are fully compatible with each other. There is no reason to prematurely change an oil filter. The only reason I’d consider changing the filter is so that the oil and filter are on the same schedule and I don’t have to pull the cowl again in ~20 hours. If you are concerned that the filter is somehow clogged or contaminated, then you have an engine problem, not an oil problem. You could mix the type M oil with a quart of Aeroshell 100 with a quart of Phillips 66 20w-50 and then top off the rest of the crank case with Phillips anti rust oil and it would be completely fine. Is there any reason to do that? No, there is not, but the point is they are all compatible with each other and it won’t cause engine problems.

I always think these discussions are funny because all SAE oils are fully compatible with each other. There is no reason to prematurely change an oil filter. The only reason I’d consider changing the filter is so that the oil and filter are on the same schedule and I don’t have to pull the cowl again in ~20 hours. If you are concerned that the filter is somehow clogged or contaminated, then you have an engine problem, not an oil problem. You could mix the type M oil with a quart of Aeroshell 100 with a quart of Phillips 66 20w-50 and then top off the rest of the crank case with Phillips anti rust oil and it would be completely fine. Is there any reason to do that? No, there is not, but the point is they are all compatible with each other and it won’t cause engine problems.

I really like it when common sense pokes it’s ugly head up!

Good Stuff!

Thanks guys!
I figured it would be fine, I just don't have any knowledge of the chemistry behind dispersants. For all I knew, mixing dispersant with non-dispersant would cause the oil to turn to vinegar and I would fall from the sky! ; )

Ya the most important thing is to have oil in it.
I had some employees one time that tore a generator carb apart, wasted 3 hours of not working for 3 guys because a generator was low on oil.
I when to the job with a second generator for replacement.
My first thought was to check the oil level in the original generator.
WOW, Amazing!!!! I added oil and it ran just like new.
I asked my guys if they ever thought to check the oil. Well it was ok sometime ago was the response.
Oil is oil, yes they come with different additive packages. But most important is it's just oil.
Keep it changed and and and and Oh ya up to fill specs
Art

Back