What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke On Aviation Clinic Oct 21-23

ty1295

Well Known Member
Smoke On Aviation Formation Clinic 2022:

Smoke On Aviation, out of Louisville Kentucky, is happy to announce our 1st Formation Clinic, October 21-23, 2022, at Lebanon-Springfield Airport (6I2). The clinic is intended for all pilots, including those with little to no experience. For the pilots with prior four ship experience, you will have an opportunity to hone your skills across several flights on Saturday and an “all up” flight on Sunday. For those without experience, Friday evening’s ground school is a great way to access the knowledge needed for safe formation flight basics and to build a network of pilots to help you gain experience outside of the clinic.

Friday only ground school is $40 and includes food, shirt and drinks.
Fri/Sat is $140, for flight organization and meals (BBQ lunch, seafood/prime rib banquet)
Rooms at the primary hotel are limited and even more limited at the secondary, so sign up and reserve rooms early. Other hotels, B&B’s, and AirBnB’s are available, but do not include transportation. Overnight parking will be in grass, so proper tie down equipment will be each pilot’s responsibility (day parking on pavement). We are limiting this event to 40 participating aircraft but do have parking for more.

Email [email protected] if you are interested in attending, include a brief summary of your experience.

Attachments

• FLYER.png
    FLYER.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 131
  • roundlogo.png
    roundlogo.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 170
Sounds great Jeff. Just checked the only hotels in the area have zero rooms available. Is camping on the airfield an option? Facilities available? Only 100 NM away so flying in is an option depending on the schedule and weather. Do you have a more specific schedule available?
Thanks

We have rooms blocked at 2 different hotels and camping is welcome at the airport. They have a shower available in the terminal building. We have much more information, including the daily schedules, on our group site. Much of the Smoke On Team will be in Campers on site. send us an email and we can get you additional information.

Hope you can make it

Last edited:
FFI without a doubt.

Anybody attending needs to be familiar with, and fully understand the contents of the FFI Formation Guide.

www.FFI.Aero

Those planning to attend and fly need to have 4 ship solo experience per FFI Standards. Those with less experience are invited to attend the ground school and all the other ground activities. This is a perfect opportunity to network with other RV pilots in order to find local FFI pilots to build up formation experience outside the clinic.

FFI without a doubt.

Anybody attending needs to be familiar with, and fully understand the contents of the FFI Formation Guide.

www.FFI.Aero

Those planning to attend and fly need to have 4 ship solo experience per FFI Standards. Those with less experience are invited to attend the ground school and all the other ground activities. This is a perfect opportunity to network with other RV pilots in order to find local FFI pilots to build up formation experience outside the clinic.

Thank you, and good luck with the clinic (change 1…I’m going).
I ask because, for those RV'rs out there who locally practice under FAST (they're out there), be advised: Whereas FFI and FAST offer reciprocity to each other, and the standards are nearly identical, they aren't completely identical. Please study up, have fun, and by safe. And have fun!

Last edited:
Earth X has been kind enough to help us out on a couple items we will be giving away.
cropped-EarthX.CYR_.800x268.WEB_.outlined.png

1st is an ETX900 Battery https://earthxbatteries.com/product/etx900/

2nd is the Jump Box https://earthxbatteries.com/product/etx-jmp12-24/

1792 Bourbon is throwing in some items custom engraved just for us. https://1792bourbon.com/

With more in the works.

Saturday will be BBQ for lunch, Seafood/Prime Rib for dinner. Both all you can eat.

Friendly Note for those without 4 ship experience. We want to welcome everyone to attend. Friday's ground school is a great refresher for everyone and even more so for those that have less than 4 ship experience.

Logistically a clinic is one of the most challenging places to take a new person and teach them how to fly formation, so we are suggesting those in this bucket come attend the event, go thru the ground school, see how flights are briefed, flown, de-briefed, and conducted. Network with other RV pilots and we will help you work up a plan to get hands on flight experience outside the clinic.

I would be more than willing to talk on the phone or email further if anybody has any further questions. If you fit in this group, email and let me know you want to be part of what we are calling "ground school" group.

FFI card required to fly.

It’s great to see a new clinic sprouting up in Kentucky.

I wish I could attend, but my -7 is down for upgrades. As I spread the word, are you guys verifying experience somehow before allowing a pilot to fly?

Does a pilot need an FFI card to fly? What other methods can we use to verify experience?

Best of luck with the clinic! I look forward to trying to make it next year.

Good news. The airport board approved a fuel discount for our clinic last night. We don't know exactly how much yet, but the best part is this airport is almost always the cheapest in the area anyways. For reference last weekend was $5.89.

With some help from great guys, I have been working on a guide on how to get started in formation flying. Below is the latest version. I know 3 years ago I knew nothing and a lot of misconceptions.

I think one thing that has been recently apparent, is getting a formation card may not be the end goal for many. The only reason you need a card is to fly in an airshow box.

I myself am 3 years into this, probably 50 hours of formation time, no card but have done many cool events, from private, missing man, national anthems, etc. My point is don't focus on the card.

“How to get into Formation" guide
The Smoke On Aviation Method

Step 1: Confirm you want to learn. This isn't something we try to push on people to do, as it takes dedication and the right mindset. Remember that you’ve spent most of your time as a pilot trying NOT to get anywhere close to other aircraft. Are you ready to fly within 10 feet of another RV? If you’re answer is “no,” then you should proceed no further.

Step 2: You have homework…carefully read the FFI Formation Guide at www.ffiaero.com. At this step I would also tell anybody to "BE VERY COMFORTABLE IN YOUR AIRPLANE". If you just bought it last week, or just got the airworthiness inspection done, etc. you need more airplane time. Landing and flying need to be 2nd nature. You need to know how to access your entire panel or any switch without looking. Old pair of shoes feel.

Step 3 or 4: Ground School. The ground school is very important to learn the basics of what flight positions are safe, what positions are not safe, what to do if things don't go as planned, how we communicate in the air (it’s almost never a radio), what those signals mean, the list goes on. Our ground school is 3 to 4 hours of information.

Step 4 or 3: Orientation Ride (sometimes we do this before 3). This is where you fly as a passenger with an experienced formation pilot to observe wingman operations. A lot of time you will land and can't wait to get started flying formation. Also, we have had others land and decide it was not what they expected, and not something they want to pursue. In fact, after my 1st ride-along, I landed and thought "this is crazy, who would ever want to do that?" Past Military experience can be good, and can be bad. We are flying RV’s, not F15’s, so some things are different.

Step 5: Safety Pilot time. You will now fly your airplane as #2 in a 2-ship formation led by an experienced flight. An experienced safety pilot rides with you in your airplane. The safety pilot and lead will coach you on what to do. It will take more than one flight with a safety pilot before you’re ready to fly solo. Typically, I have seen pilots require 3 to 10 safety pilot flights before they are ready to go solo 2 ship.

Step 6: Solo, you’re now mostly safe to fly formation behind a lead without a safety pilot in your plane. Expect 5+ flights like this before a 3rd or 4th airplane is added to the flight.

Step 7: 4 ship time. You’ve demonstrated enough 2-ship skill now, and 3 other pilots have enough comfort level to fly with you. Now the fun begins, and advanced learning can happen. I would say a typical pilot will need 20+ hours of time here.

Step 8: Prepare for FFI card (optional). This requires a recommendation from an FFI flight lead, and schedule a check ride. Expect this to typically take 1-2 years after you start flying formation if you are able to practice formation flight on a regular basis.

Formation flying is a skill that requires constant practice. The Smoke On Group is very fortunate as we have 10+ 4 ship qualified guys, several cards, and almost every weekend if the weather is good someone is around and a formation flight is done. We realize others may not have that available.
How does this relate to clinics?

Looking at the steps above and estimated timeline, this is a 2 year process. To come to a clinic without any experience and leave with an FFI card with just 2 days of flying would probably set a record: It’s an unrealistic expectation. We are suggesting for those attending their first clinic that we can accomplish steps 1, 2, 3 and 4. Also helping you network with others to get step 5 and beyond done outside a clinic.

Regarding Step 8: Ultimately, no pilot needs an FFI card to go fly formation. So why have a card? An FFI (or FAST) card is required to fly formation in aerial events in FAA waivered airspace (example: An airshow box). If that’s not your goal, then you don’t need a card (and FFI doesn’t award Wingman cards as mere merit badges). Still, tackling steps 1 through 8 make for a wonderful and rewarding piloting experience as a formation pilot. Want to fly formation in airshows with a team like Smoke On? Go for the card!

Smoke On wants to encourage everyone that wants to learn to pursue it. Formation flight is the single most fundamentally social pilot activity because it’s impossible to do it alone: It requires at least 2 pilots. But remember we are flying airplanes in ways that the risk level is higher than normal, and a mistake on 1 person's part can quickly affect others. The trust factor is very high, and that takes time to build. The skill required is high and very perishable, and that takes time and consistency to develop and sustain.

Back