What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NTSB Aviation Accident Database & Synopses

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Has anyone noticed changes to the “NTSB Aviation Accident Database & Synopses” search tool?
https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx
I have used it many times in the past to find accidents & incidents using; dates, type aircraft, location or many number of search descriptions. After some recent changes, new search methods appear on the top of the page described as:
“For cases after 2008, use*CAROL Query.
Learn about changes to our*search options. “

And now I can not pull up a single accident/incident. Anyone else experience this?, have you found a work around?.

Thanks in advance
Tom O.

Has anyone noticed changes to the “NTSB Aviation Accident Database & Synopses” search tool?
https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx
I have used it many times in the past to find accidents & incidents using; dates, type aircraft, location or many number of search descriptions. After some recent changes, new search methods appear on the top of the page described as:
“For cases after 2008, use*CAROL Query.
Learn about changes to our*search options. “

And now I can not pull up a single accident/incident. Anyone else experience this?, have you found a work around?.

Thanks in advance
Tom O.

From the error box that comes up with Mac Safari 14.0 => "CAROL only works in the following browsers: Chrome and MS Edge."

FYI Market Shares: Chrome=48% Safari=36% . . . . . . . . edge=4.6% [I don't use Edge & I submitted a complaint after this post]

Last edited:
It's doable. Part of the trick is that the search criteria are accessed from the bar across the top. Another trick is to find the .csv output and use that.

The search criteria are selected by a very clunky tree structure.

This design was not focused on the user... Let's give that design a C-.

The new interface is awful. But, it does work with Firefox (PC) and with Safari (iPad).

One thing not terribly plain is that when you arrive at the CAROL search page, across the top the default is to KEYWORD search - but choosing BASIC or even QUERY will make finding things easier. For example, I often referred to the old monthly page - but you can get largely the same result in the new system using the basic search with only a date range.

Dan

Waste

What a waste of my tax dollars. I also find it incredibly annoying that I couldn’t find the “monthly lists” the last time I looked. :mad:

Skylor

Last edited:
As others have said, this is a huge retrograde step. Used to work pretty well. Is now a disaster. 2 weeks ago, I tried multiple criteria to search for a report with no luck until I found the accident date elsewhere and plugged that in for the entire USA, going down the whole list for that day.

Why do organizations and companies try to "improve" a perfectly functional and familiar site like this?

As others have said, this is a huge retrograde step. Used to work pretty well. Is now a disaster. 2 weeks ago, I tried multiple criteria to search for a report with no luck until I found the accident date elsewhere and plugged that in for the entire USA, going down the whole list for that day.

Why do organizations and companies try to "improve" a perfectly functional and familiar site like this?

I suppose if you can't write MCAS software for Boeing , one can always get a job at the FAA :D

I often ask the same question regarding software updates for computer operating systems. If Apple had quit doing updates 10 years ago, I would still have a great machine. I think there is a great opportunity for attracting loyal customers by advertising "We promise not to change anything" . If you have something good , just don't **** with it.

Good gosh. Write your Congressman, Senator, FAA admin.... This CAROL thing divided up the dataa base and added a bizarre query builder. They should have had a NPRM and comment period for approval from users before making this change...

I was able to get into the database and it is cumbersome, inefficient and the ability to research accidents is diminished greatly.

I have a feeling they hired some consultants who recommended a new and better database , charging a pile of money... and leaving a pile of @#$%

Last edited:
This is awful... I used to watch the Monthlies to keep an eye on what's going on with our EAB community. Now it's mostly impossible. I submitted a complaint. :(

I just filed my complaint also. Is Kathryn’s report the only source at this point or are there anymore private databases that anyone knows of?

“Flight Chain” App

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the “Flight Chain” App that has appeared for $4.99 that guarantee’s access to the NTSB monthly accident reports just like the old days before the NTSB fixed something that wasn’t broken. :mad:

There is a notification banner at the top of the page to specify which database to use if you are searching for accidents that occurred after 2008.

The search link in the OP is only applicable for accident BEFORE 2008.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 112
Back