What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is the preferred paint type to use on your RV-4?

Urethane?

Pros/Cons?

The kind that adheres to the surface for a long time, doesn't blister, and looks good. :D

I have an RV-10 and in the process of painting it. I'm using Sherwin Willians Jet Glo and Acry Glo. It's an epoxy primer and a urethane top coat.

Since there are literally hundreds of options, such a broad question is hard to answer.

Last edited:
Are you doing the paint yourself? Do you have local access to the "Matrix System"? That's my vote but only if you have a local source.

Already answered...and it gets heated

If you get a chance, look at the area designed for newbies to this forum. I myself am a newbie so I read that section. Painting, primers, paint types, etc....it is like discussing religion or politics. Everyone has an opinion and you won't change their mind and neither should you let them change yours. My best answer to you is this...look at what Van says about his own planes and paint systems. There is not a single person on this website better with Vans Aircraft that Van himself. Period, end of story. Then do your own research and stick with what you feel is best for your situation. Personally I use epoxy, tough stuff....but that is me and I have a redhead for a girlfriend too so don't give me too much credit. Good luck with your project, blue skies...Jason

Back