What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reminder: RV-1 Work Day - Saturday, 20 August!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hey folks - just a reminder for anyone "In Range" of Jay Pratt's RV Central at Hicks - this Saturday is a work day to get the RV-1 cleaned up and refurbishment well underway. Show up, and we'll find something for you to do.

Hope to see a bunch of folks there,

Paul

Finding Jay's?

Hey Jay, it just occured to us that not everyone knows how to find your hangar at Hicks - ratehr than etting it wrong in public :eek: myself, do you want to tell folks how to find your place on the field?

[ed. Directions from any location: HERE. dr

Last edited by a moderator:
Where to park?

Thanks, Doug, for the view. We should be able to identify the location once on foot.

But, as someone flying in, I'd like to also know where to park the plane. (Folks driving in might also want to know where to park.) My co-pilot might know, but I don't.

Very psyched to get hands onto this project!

Location, Location, Location..

RV Central is # 584 at Hicks. On the second taxiway away from the runway.
I have room for 6 or more RVs in one of three hangers. We have lots of ramp space to my north and south for cars or airplanes. No need to park out buy the restaurant. Taxi / drive to my hanger and I will guide you to a spot.

RV Central is # 584 at Hicks. On the second taxiway away from the runway.
I have room for 6 or more RVs in one of three hangers. We have lots of ramp space to my north and south for cars or airplanes. No need to park out buy the restaurant. Taxi / drive to my hanger and I will guide you to a spot.

Great Jay - see ya' first thing in the morning!

Wish I could come..........

but have to go to Dennis McCright's Memorial Service Saturday. Maybe another time. Good Luck on the progress.

With so many events going on that day surly it will rain. :)

Paul, can you tell us more? Time to start? Is there a link to more info? Anything we need to bring? (work clothes, lunch, tools, good attitude??)

With so many events going on that day surly it will rain. :)

Paul, can you tell us more? Time to start? Is there a link to more info? Anything we need to bring? (work clothes, lunch, tools, good attitude??)

We can only dream about the rain.....

Jay decreed 0800 as the start time, and we go until the last person gets tired.

Bring work clothes and a good attitude - we havent' talked about lunch, and Jay probably has a few tools - and I expect that if we need another 3/8 or 7/16 wrench, every RV that shows will have a couple....;)

I vote that we have lunch!

Will the restaurant be open? Or, is there a decent pizza delivery service to the airport?

Chuck, we're certainly sorry you can't attend and even more about the reason. Prayers are with McCright's family and friends tomorrow.

No Resturant

The Hicks resturant has been closed for months.

I have a grill. We will do hot dogs and Brats.

Last edited:
Will the restaurant be open? Or, is there a decent pizza delivery service to the airport?

Chuck, we're certainly sorry you can't attend and even more about the reason. Prayers are with McCright's family and friends tomorrow.

Louise, the restaurant has been closed for a little over a year now. Domino's does deliver out here and I think Mr Jim's, too.
In regards to parking, like Jay said, no need to park over on the ramp, it's in pretty sad shape anyway. Take the cross-taxiway either at the 14 end or by the flight school at mid-field and there's parking by Jay's or parking on the empty slab by me (between 593 & 589) across and just north of RV Central.

Fabulous day

We had about 20....maybe more....folks show up for the work day and a lot of work was accomplished. I expect someone will be sharing photos soon. Unfortunately, we left our camera at RV Central. :( A lot of cleaning and spiffing up took place. Even the firewall was polished, albeit not to the mirror finished Rick would want! ;) This is, afterall, a restoration to airworthiness (and representative of original condition) of a working and developing prototype, not an award-winning show plane. Pretty fun.

As we approached Hicks this morning, a little before 8 am, we heard other RVs approaching the field. But, surprisingly, there was already a crew of a half-dozen or more folks working on taking the plane apart and cleaning. More and more showed up and the work flew by.

Jay and Carol prepared a great lunch of brats, dogs, potato salad, beans, iced tea, and chips. Soon after, the crowd dissipated. I think the heat was dropping motivation or, like us, previously made appointments on the calendar called.

Thanks for all who came out.

Last edited:
Great update Louise, thanks. You missed a hot day at Wing & Wheels at Hobby. Glad you're home ok.

Now is RV1 90% done and 90% remaining?

It was indeed a special day yesterday! Dan and I had a blast. We didn't take many photos, but perhaps Doug and Ernie will post some later. Here's my write up with a few pics of Dan, Walt, and DR working on the RV-1.

http://thecarltons.us/rv7/?p=393

It's really cool that Will and his son Dan, along with many others, showed up with such enthusiasm! "The Carlton team" just started their RV7 a few months ago with no prior "aircraft" experience but they jumped right in and did a GREAT job! It really was a great day and I'm looking forward to the next session! This is a great project and I am honored to be a part of it.

Last edited:
Thanks Louise. I can't begin to express how special the day was for Dan and me. We both had "chicken skin" for a while. It's truly an honor to be a part of such a great project and working with such a great group of folks. I wish Bruce C. could have been there to see how RV folks treat each other (couldn't resist)

Back