What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

low cost air conditioning for RV-10

airbal

Here is an air conditioning sytem that I built for my RV-10, using ice water as the coolant circulating through a fan coil mounted in the tail cone behind the baggage bulkhead. It's good for about 30 minutes of operation on a really hot day with 30 lbs of ice in a cooler in the baggage compartment. Surprisingly, 30 minutes is more than adequate for most trips i make. 10 minutes ground,take-off and climb out, then another 10 minutes descent and landing.
airbal

Cost?

Nice work? I'm interested in what your approximate costs were, with respect to dollars and pounds..

cool idea. im thinking more of a cool suit, you can wear it out of the house and never get hot. texas guys are first in line. glad to hear you are getting some rain down there.

An easier/cheaper/apparently more efficient option?

As it happens, EAA Chapter 193's el Presidente, Elvis Golden, brought in his 'Mark II' air conditioner to the monthly meeting just two days ago. The basic concept was the same ('ice in a box') but for those who want an 'easy' choice, Elvis' design might be worth considering. It will be posted on the chapter website...but meanwhile, here's the basics:
-- medium size (plastic) cooler
-- smallest available 12V bilge pump (from West Marine, Defender et al.)
-- small heat exchanger, off the shelf from a local car parts store, mounted on the underside of the cooler lid
-- light tubing, running the coolant (chilled water) from bilge pump to heat exchanger and returning water to bottom of cooler
-- 200 CFM 12V muffin fan, mounted (at an angle suitable for the cooler's location in the cockpit) in the cooler lid (chilled output air)
-- several small grills in the top of the cooler lid (supply air into the box)
-- on/off switch (the Mk III model will feature a rheostat) and 12V power cord to 12V supply on the panel
-- 1.5 qts. of water (inside the cooler)
-- 8# bag of ice, plopped into the cooler just before departure

Testing done in/around Jacksonville FL - ambient temps: 95F
Cost: $100
How long chilled air lasts: Over one hour, including two airport stops along the way on c/c test
Amp Draw: 2A @ 12V
Time to cool down cabin (4-place Cherokee 180): 5 mins (!)
Other options: use Blue Ice vs. bag of ice - lasts a bit longer; larger cooler - longer endurance, especially with rheostat; chilled/near frozen sodas plus ice - cold drinks on a longer flight

Most surprising test to me was the report of one fellow who borrowed this unit while doing pattern work at CRG (read: hot, humid 95F mid-day flight). By third landing, the cabin windows started to fog up. One member at the meeting then asked, given the reduced viz, if he'd filed...

Jack

AC unit

I have store bought model and experiance the same thing. Today it was 96 Degrees and it cooled for about an hour. More than I needed. If you are making one I suggest a really good cooler. Makes a lot of difference. Also make it so it pumps water overboard. Big help.

Randy Means
N595RV
Yellow Bird

I know that many of you guys are builders and experimenters like us, so you'll probably enjoy building one of these on your own. Dan and I have built two for our Viking and the RV we are now constructing. He just set up a side business for those that either don't want to bother building one or would just like to help a kid support his hockey addiction. If you are in the DFW area, Tina's Pilot Shop has the smaller model on display. Most of the time it has ice in it so you can test it out. If you'd like to take it out for a real test flight, then stop by her place with a bag or two of ice and let her know you'd like to try it out. Dan can build one in a few days for you until school starts. I expect lead time might be about a week to 10 days after school starts. He's set up a website at http://www.comfortcabinair.com in case you want more info.

PS. - I ran this by DR before posting since Dan is technically trying to start up a business. He said he was cool with the post. :)

Last edited:
Jack,

I looked on EAA 193's website but didn't see the plans. Are they up yet? I'd really like to build one.

Elvis will be posting the parts list and some pics for the unit he demo'd at the Chapter 193 meeting at:
http://193.eaachapter.org/

He needs a little more time to post the info as he believes he can spec a number of different items than he's been using in his Mk II model (heat exchanger, muffin fan, switch, cooler lid grills), each of which will reduce the cost further.

But hey, consider buying Dan's unit and feed that ice hockey habit of his!

Jack

Last edited:
Hey everyone! This is Dan Carlton, the air condition guy. I appreciate your post Jack, I'm trying to earn money to pay for ice hockey this year (I haven't played in 4 years and I miss it more than I can describe), and I've got a long ways to go. But hey, if you want to build one yourself, I completely understand. Go ahead and message me, I can offer a few pointers about how to install the air intakes and the fan to make the air as cool as cool as possible. But if you wouldn't mind spending just a little bit more money the a do it yourself, go ahead and email me at comfortcabinair(@)gmail(dot)com or check out www.comfortcabinair.com. The units are priced at half of what sporty's sells them for. Thanks so much!

And this was also cleared with Doug prior to posting.

Last edited:
Back