What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Shop - SF Bay Area?

JVolkober

Well Known Member
I am exploring painting before final assembly. Any recommendations for a paint shop in the SF Bay area, preferrably the North Bay.

John

Hey John -

I know you're considering having your bird painted before you assemble it...I considered the same thing. I ended up very happy that I flew it first based on a few adjustments I needed to make to the wheel pants, the wing tips and a heavy right wing. They were MUCH easier to adjust during my phase 1 flight testing with the plane unpainted!

Having a completed RV opens up a lot of options for paintshops as well. You can take it anywhere. I ended up flying mine from Minnesota to Texas to have it painted because John McFarling at Airborne Kustomz was a clear winner to paint my plane for several reasons. I wasn't worried about making sure the paint shop was close to my hangar...and the flight was fun too.

...just my $.02.

- Peter

Not the North Bay but I've heard good things about T&P in Salinas. A couple of guys in our chapter had their planes painted by them and they seemed pleased. I'll probably take mine there when I finally paint.

Painting After Phase 1 Test?

Peter, can you describe how much disassembly was required for painting after phase 1 testing. I suspect that at least control surfaces, canopy, cowl and farings, but did you also need to remove wings and empennage?

John

Ok, got my answer from reviewing the pics on airbornekustomz.com. Does not look as daunting as I expected. Perhaps waiting until after phase 1 makes more sense.

Last edited:
I just helped my hangar-mate reassemble his RV-6A after being painted at T&P Aero in Salinas. The paint is beautiful and only added about 22 lb. The owner (Juan) is very patient and supportive and has done many RVs. I wholeheartedly recommend him.

T&P

A little bit of a drive from North Bay area but still relatively local for you, I'll second the recommendation on T&P. Juan and his crew do a great job.

I'm one of the guys in Kelly's EAA chapter at RHV and just got my RV out of his shop in Feb. Pictures on this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=68189

I know there are a number of planes, including RVs, at Livermore that were also painted at T&P and turned out great.

paint in SF area

aloha Brada, you might want to look a Mathews Aviation up over the hill in
Yerington NV 775.463.9470 they just painted my friends rv-7 and it was a great job with a very good price and on time ..i'd flight test it in phase 1 then fly it to the paint booth more fun:cool:

Back