What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training near Atlanta.

00Dan

Well Known Member
As the title says, I’m looking at a -4 and will need training, I figure the insurance company (and by extension my wallet) will appreciate me coming to the table with a couple hours already.

I know most 4s aren’t equipped for dual so presumably I’d be looking for someone with a 6 or 7 I can rent. Any recommendations?

Keep in mind that the FARs do not allow EAB aircraft to be used for compensation or hire, e.g., no renting. But the FAA will issue a waiver for the explicit purpose of, and only for, transition training. You’re looking for an owner who holds such a waiver, a ‘Letter of deviation authority’, or LODA, in FAA-speak.
You and the owner should also understand any potential liability or damage issues, as most insurance policies do not cover renting. OTOH most insurance companies are happy to cover you and a named cfi in your airplane, once you get it.

Keep in mind that the FARs do not allow EAB aircraft to be used for compensation or hire, e.g., no renting. But the FAA will issue a waiver for the explicit purpose of, and only for, transition training. You’re looking for an owner who holds such a waiver, a ‘Letter of deviation authority’, or LODA, in FAA-speak.
You and the owner should also understand any potential liability or damage issues, as most insurance policies do not cover renting. OTOH most insurance companies are happy to cover you and a named cfi in your airplane, once you get it.

Good points I hadn’t considered. My concern with doing training in my plane would be finding an IP willing to fly from a seat without throttle or rudder. I already have a tailwheel endorsement so it’s entirely an issue with complying with whatever dual requirements the insurance company wants.

So you want to hire someone to check you out in your RV4 and they will have no control over the aircraft?

No. I don’t own a -4 yet. I am seeking an instructor and comparable plane to do transition training before I purchase.

What a friend did.

A friend here in NC bought a -4 this spring that I flew home from Fla for him. He had zero tail wheel and zero RV PIC time. He spent a few days in Fla with Jan Bussel down at at Ocechobee and got his transition and tail wheel endorsement in Jan's RV6. This worked great for my friend, and satisfied the insurance. He is loving his -4 !

Hey bud I am new to KLGC and I have a 6, if you just need some time... I am not an instructor, but you could just come up with me!

Darn, I didn’t even have my tail wheel endorsement, my insurance just asked for 3-5 hours in a RV tail before... ����*♂️

Back