What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear leg replace and bearing evaluation

67MK Larry

I will be replacing nose gear leg shortly due to excess play in bolt hole and it is original gear leg. At condition inspection I notice a play between gear leg top and bearing in mount. Is there any advice on replacing this bearing or is it a "pull the engine" issue.???

Which bearing are you referring to? The bolt at the top of the nose gear leg secures the leg directly to the engine mount. If there is play, it is possible that just the bolt is damaged. Try replacing the bolt (properly torqued) and see if the "play" goes away. If not, consider reaming the whole assembly to the first oversize and buy NAS oversize bolts available from an excellent vendor here on VAF. See Gahco.

http://gen-aircraft-hardware.com/hardware.

Bevan

Thanks for reply

When mechanic and I did "condition inspection" it looked like there was a brass or bronze bearing or bushing coming down at base of engine mount gear leg hole.

update

Will get pictures next week, Im sure it was a bushing or bearing in there nothing in the logs, I questioned builder and second owner, they both said nose gear never removed. Yes it is a 6A with 750 hours. I will talk to Vans next week and update. Thanks.

Nose gear

The builder off my A model used some shims at the bottom of the nose gear mount to prevent any side movement of the gear in the mount. The gear movement you need to check for and stop is movement up at the top of the mount where the bolt goes. I check that by putting my finger on the end of the gear leg and rocking the plane side to side. You can feel if the gear lg rotates or moves in the mount. You can also put your finger on the bolt as you rock the plane.

-Andy

Back