What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just landed barnstormer a grill GA

turbo

Well Known Member
Kim n I are headed north via Nashville. Found this jewel of a place for lunch Georgia is not that bad. Hot n hazy. Has a museum to boot.

Last edited:
Barnstormers Grill // Peach State Aerodrome

A great restaurant and lots of youth hands-on rebuilding classic aircraft and learning to fly. A number of our Falcon RV Squadron members are mentors there.

Airfield is undulating grass and some nose wheel RV'ers don't go there. I do, but be careful.

GA2
http://www.peachstateaero.com

Museum is growing and the plan is to do a mini Atlanta Airport from the 20's and 30's. They just finished a Jenny restoration. Not unusual to see the grass parking area full of Cubs, Champs, Stearmans,etc.

Many social events there as well.

Been flying out of there since the sixties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Landings

I landed downhill in the RV-3 once and that was a memorable experience. That wing kept wanting to fly going downhill.

Landed a bunch of times going up hill in RV-6a with no problems but make sure you keep the stick back in the lap and weight light on nose wheel as usual and taxi slow so you don't do a wheelie and mess up the rudder.

I've seen twins, Maules, Cubs, even a tiger moth once come in there. I think the tiger moth may have taken out the old patio roof but can't remember. Not sure if the DC-3 still visits there. That was a sight to behold.
cj

Turbo,
You can't come that close to Peachtree City, GA without stopping in. We have 37 flying RVs on the field. Daily happy hours in Hangar D-28.
Mark

Barnstormers is a short 20 minute RV flight away from my home base at PXE. I have flown there at least 10 times in the -9 since 2006. My son and I are due for another visit. :)

Barnstormers is one of by favorite places.

They have several fly-ins each year and a very good Veteran's Day event.

Ron Alexander (owner) does fly in his DC-3 on occasion.

My girlfriend and I used to fly in for lunch on Sundays but haven't in a few years since I sold my -4 and the -7 is not flying yet.

They have an annual Antique Fly-In which is always very good.

It's a really neat place and if you haven't been there it is worth the trip.

You can check out their website for events .

Glenn Wilkinson

I knew we were in rich RV country. So many airports around here it is just crazy. Heard a flight of three rvs landing at falcon field. Am sure rv10 Vic is close by too. Anyways, we are are resting now at tn65, for a few days. It is just north of shelbyville TN. Planning on seeing the sights in the area. Any ideas just let us know. Jack Daniels tour I can do without. So much to do. ;)

Glider Flying

They used to have a glider operation at Peach State. Back in the early 70's I took instruction from a guy named John Arnold and earned my glider rating there. At the time all I had flown was hang gliders, so graduating to the Schweizer 1-26 seemed like pretty heady stuff. On my second solo I misjudged the wind while landing to the north and almost landed in a peach tree orchard just off of the south end of the runway. :eek: That was many moons ago, but lots of great memories flying there. The glider operation is noted in the history tab on the Peach State Aerodrome website.

Last edited:
I knew we were in rich RV country. So many airports around here it is just crazy. Heard a flight of three rvs landing at falcon field. Am sure rv10 Vic is close by too. Anyways, we are are resting now at tn65, for a few days. It is just north of shelbyville TN. Planning on seeing the sights in the area. Any ideas just let us know. Jack Daniels tour I can do without. So much to do. ;)

Fly-in breakfast will be this Saturday morning (4th Saturday) at Shelbyville (SYI) if you are still in the area. Lots of RVs and other stuff (50-70 aircraft) when the weather is good.

Last edited:
Sam, Saturday at Ksyi sounds great. It's about 10 miles south of here,tn65.

Spent a while at the beech bonanza museum today. It is close by at tullahoma airport.

Fly-in breakfast will be this Saturday morning (4th Saturday) at Shelbyville (SYI) if you are still in the area. Lots of RVs and other stuff (50-70 aircraft) when the weather is good.

I was at the fly-in breakfast in March...great breakfast and great turnout. Shelbyville is also home to Jabiru USA. If you have wheels and like country cooking...try the Bell Buckle Cafe in the town of Bell Buckle (about 5 miles east of SYI)...caution...watch your speed limit passing through town.

Sam, Saturday at Ksyi sounds great. It's about 10 miles south of here,tn65.

Spent a while at the beech bonanza museum today. It is close by at tullahoma airport.

Does AEDC give tours at the wind tunnel facility?

Back