What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad Mini issue...

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
This is kind of RV related since I am planning on using my Mini with Foreflight and a Stratus...

When my iPad has been on for a short time, the screen starts jumping around. It expands and contracts, changes web pages, etc. In e-mail the blue window for Cut / Paste will show up and move around.

All this without me touching the device.

I have removed the screen protector and thoroughly cleaned the glass.

I have performed a reset.

I have restored it to factory values.

I have turned off the Multitasking Gestures.

All to no avail.

Do any of you iPad gurus have any suggestions, or is it broken and needs to go to a shop? I purchased it in May, 2013.

Thanks,

Have no fix for the symptoms but will say this about the mini pad.
I bought one to use in the 8 but have concluded it is, for me, unsuitable for use in an airplane. The screen is not bright enough, it does not like heat above 95F and Wings X soft ware is to complicated for my simple brain.
I am using an old Garmin 295 which was purchased some 10 years ago and it is bullet proof. It is readable and very reliable.
To each their own, but IMHO if the GPS was not designed for aviation it won't work reliably and that's not good enough.

Last edited:
Bad unit?

Take it to an Apple store and see what they say. I use a mini in my 6 and have no problems.

Well keep it out of the sun and no problems, it is true it does not like the heat much. I use a white lifeproof case keep it on my lap take it with me when I leave the plane and no problems. After a long day landed a night put the iPad on the wing needed to taxi to another spot. Started the plane taxied to the new spot. Got out of the 6 and with horror realized my iPad was on the ground blown around someplace behind me in the dark. Found it and to my surprise it worked just fine. The case was banged up a little but the pad worked. If it survived that and works I would think yours is just a bad unit.

Sounds like a broken iPad. Apple store visit time, if you have one nearby.

Does this only happen in the plane, or will it happen indoors sitting on a table not being used as well?

Help with heat issue

Use IPad mini exclusively with foreflight and stratus.
One tip if your using this combo, put the iPad on airplane mode, than manually turn on wifi to connect with stratus.
This will only work if you are using stratus or some other external GPS.
This will keep the iPad cool and save a lot on battery life.
Also, change the brightness to lowest setting that is still usable.
Of course, close all other apps when using foreflight

I use the iPad Mini the and Garmin Pilot app with no trouble at all. I'm going to order the new Mini Air, if they announce it this week, and will let you know what the new display is like in flight.

The Garmin Pilot app is very stable on the iPad. I switched from Foreflight and enjoy the Garmin interface as it matches up with the avionics in my plane.

Back