What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Rollover Escape Methods

I am building a -4 and I have been thinking about this really hard. I have looked at installing explosive bolts and also the explosive Actuators under the canopy rail that could be used to "blow" the canopy off quickly in an emergency. I don't even know where I could get such hardware and I have been looking into other options.
I think the reality is that once you're inverted on the ground, blowing the bolts won't help you much... You'll still have an airplane on top of you. In the air, the canopy is known to depart *very* quickly when opened, if installed with soft rivets.

What happens if your canopy is not 100% latched?

If it unlatches during flight, does it tear right off? Ever had it happen?

If it unlatches during flight, does it tear right off? Ever had it happen?

I saw the aftermath of a 4 that started its take-off roll with the canopy unlatched. The canopy blew off and hit the runway. If the canopy was unlatched in cruise flight it would doubtless disappear in the twinkling of an eye. Hopefully, there would be no collateral damage to the airframe or the pilot's head.

Yep

. .......... If the canopy was unlatched in cruise flight it would doubtless disappear in the twinkling of an eye. Hopefully, there would be no collateral damage to the airframe or the pilot's head.

I saw a -4 here in Georgia, that lost its canopy. Dented the vertical fin a little. Yeah, it was gone instantly!

Best,

+1 with Pierre;
My son recently bought an RV-4, which had (in it's past) experienced a canopy unlatch in flight. It separated cleanly, instantly, & did not touch the tail. (according to the seller)

Whatcha gonna do?

So, what are you going to do Airduct? You going to build an RV already? Have you decided to put a six foot roll bar up and over from wing to wing in case this once in a lifetime accident happens that there are currently no cases of anyone expiring from? Yes guys...a tad bit antagonistic, I have asked the same questions time and time again. Are you just being an active lurker? I noticed that you have asked a lot of questions, mostly of the sort that someone "tire-kicking" would ask. Get out and see some of these fine machines and you will no longer ask, you will just go buy...and then build.

Hi Usmcshooter,

Per your comments, I do have an RV-4. On that note, is there a requirement to own one or be committed to building one if you are a member of the group though? I sense from you and maybe a couple others that some folks are not welcome here unless they all share the same mindset.

I don't mean to ask difficult questions, but it is best to confront the important issues head on rather than closing your eyes to them, and for me safety is pretty high on the list (hard to let go of that from pilot training). One of the best tips I was given during my training was that pride kills.

Thanks for everyone's input, very much appreciated.

Got my Gerber E-tool folding spade the other day and to evaluate it as an egress tool, turned some wrecked aircraft parts into swiss cheese pretty easily with it. Not the lightest thing to carry but I'm ok with that. Folded up it fits in the compartment right below my left knee in the Rocket.

Relevance

Airduct, not hostility, and no requirements. You just peppered the forums with a ton of questions at about the same time, then failed to respond to most of the answers and questions given in the aftermath. Also, if you use deductive reasoning, it looks like you are in the decision matrix for building a 4 and are trying to weigh the pros and cons. Backseat pedals, lowering stall speeds, safety in a rollover, etc. We are building SEVERAL of Van's Aircraft models in our hangar and have built a few in the past. You are more than welcome to actually stop by if you are in the area. Heck, I am just happy you are answering on this thread. How far along are you in your build? What mods are you looking at doing? If this thread is the area of biggest concern, maybe you should look at a model that affords you the same overall performance, but makes egress possible when upside down and in a soft field. Up to you, I just get on here to experience fellowship with people who are frustrated building the same aircraft as me! Oh, Smoky, Axel, Pierre, and Mike answer pretty quick and are super nice on here. There are others who have reached the same Zen state in RVs as them, but I haven't had interaction with them. I don't know if Smoky got the Stevie Ray joke since his name is similar. That being said.....

On a lighter note, a few more comedic inputs: so a 12 gauge flare gun that is made of metal can handle some breaching shells....lol. I will take one to the range and shoot up some lexan for all of our viewers. While I may not be as well versed as most on planes, guns really are my forte.

A hispanic friend of mine, having yet another viewpoint, talked about being updside down in an armored vehicle. No egress was possible as it was laying on top of an outward folding hatch. They used a car jack from inside the vehicle and it easily opened the hatch against the weight of the vehicle and allowed them to crawl out one by one. Something my shoot it, blow it up, or lacerate it mentality didn't think of.

Deductive reasoning.

Hi

Using deductive reasoning I had worked out that you had or were building a 4. Using the same reasoning I believe you are scared of it? How to slow the stall speed....... get out if upside down?

There is nothing worse than owning an aeroplane you are frightened of....it will never come out of the hangar and be a wasted asset. I have a friend with a Jodel who is like this. I have told him several times to sell it and get a nose gear but now he is talking about giving up flying.

With respect I would suggest like others have that you look at a different type, or get something that you are not constantly looking to modify to bring within your limits. Alternatively, get some serious time in the 4 and some confidence in it.

He's got it right!!!

Steve has nailed it I believe. I'm beginnig to wonder how you get out of the house?? I don't mean that in a tacky way; but one can only do so much.

My financee and I were walking 6 weeks ago to stay healthy; and she slips off a curb & breaks her foot. She's wearing a boot now and still walking, thank you. But things just happen. Staying sedate in your home will kill you.

Regrettably, I too, don't think you are going to enjoy your -4.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Yet another...

Steve has nailed it

The RV4 isn't for everyone, but there are other options and choices out there. As previously mentioned, you need to deduce what is right for YOU... Many years ago several rowdy F16 friends and I were approached by a restaurant owner who said: "I'm afraid you're going to have to leave"...Our answer: Don't be afraid...:)
The police weren't as amused...

V/R
Smokey

"There is no weapon too short for a brave man...
And none long enough for a coward"

Quote of an Arabian King...
The Guardian circa 1713
http://books.google.com/books?id=kK...s no weapon too short for a brave man&f=false

Last edited:
Rollovers

Another thought I did not see on my quick look at the thread.
Make sure you have a good emergency boldface checklist (Smoky and I know that as committed to memory). You have got to get the fuel flow stopped and the ignition sources cooled down. Not much you can do about hot surfaces like exhaust, but you can sure get the electricals shut down.
Don't think you can read that checklist after the accident. You should be doing it on the way over via memory.
hack

Well, I scored two military canopy breakers with the pins and brackets on eBay for $70 shipped. My escape method will include these..

Hack;
I caught your point about heat, and exhaust surfaces. I'd like to add:
If the engine fails at any considerable altitude, the exhaust might be rather cold by the forced landing.
The entire exhaust system is made of sheet metal, and the heat departs quickly.
I have to believe that following the emergency landing checklist does effect the outcome in a positive way.
If the engine has quit (as opposed to being on fire) the heat is soon gone, so securing the fuel, mags and master power could go a long way to preventing a fuel leak fire.

Back