What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traveling MN to VA to FL

butch

Well Known Member
We are traveling from MN to VA to FL in two RV7s the week of March 18th-26th. Looking for suggestions on sites to see and things to do.

Thanks butch

Suggest you bone up a bit on dealing with MOA's, contacting the controlling authority for op skeds and, if not flying in the system, use flight following. The SE USA - and certainly Florida - is quite active with military and govt'l ops, and there's both safe ways to use these special airspaces and also not-so-safe ways to 'legally' fly through them.

Enjoy the trip and that comfy SE USA weather.

Jack

MOAs

I am working to educate myself on the moa's, never used flight following so I will explore that as well. One of the key points of interest was kitty hawk and then run south along the coast toward the keys. Hoping to find interesting stope along the way. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, butch

from VA, as you fly south,

Charleston, SC
Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort-"The Great Santini"
Paris Island
Hilton Head
Saint Augustine, FL

check out the.....................

RV HOTEL and stop by in south florida. wednesday morning 8 am sebring fl for rv fun and food. might as well fly both coasts of florida at low level. a must if you are here. also the sebring buffet every day for lunch, $8.50 soup, salad, main course, and dessert. at the hotel along side the sebring race track. fly for food.

Everglades City & Cedar Key

X01 Everglades City

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=56331&highlight=everglades+city

Free ride from airport to any of several restaurants for some of Florida's Best Seafood.

Short runway, water both ends and incredibly scenic above the 10000 islands

KCDK Cedar Key

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=55786&highlight=cedar+key

Taxi will respond to your pattern calls and ask if you need a ride. Very rustic old Florida style with more great seafood.

Shorter runway, water both ends and incredibly scenic over the islands and marshes of north central FL.

Two great spots - you'll find few that disagree.

I am working to educate myself on the moa's, never used flight following so I will explore that as well. One of the key points of interest was kitty hawk and then run south along the coast toward the keys. Hoping to find interesting stope along the way. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, butch

i can't think of a single reason to not use flight following, it adds a lot of additional safety to the trip

flight following

I know what you are saying about flight following, all my cross country flying has been with multiple aircraft. But it would be a good idea for one of us to use it.

thanks
butch

travel

I am interested in the comment regarding "The Great Santini", can someone provide me with more information? When I googled it, I wasn't able to find much.

We were off to a late start this morning due to fog in MN. We are now in Lebanon, OH. Destination tomorrow is Kitty Hawk.

update

We flew from OH to Kitty Hawk today, then down the coast. Stopped at Ocracoke, SC (W95) for a late lunch, excellent stop! Next stop, Cape Fear...

Butch if you want the fastest route down my suggestion would be to grab the keys for Jeff's HR3 and fly that down! :rolleyes: ...might be your last chance to fly it!

- Peter

PS - KIDDING JEFF!!!

pics from today

This is where it started....

Yes, that is a for sale sign in my 7A.
2vv2pgh.jpg

Last edited:
I'll deal with both of you when I get home again.
Someone should be flying it, I ran it up before I left.

OK we're busted!!! Jeff I thought you were in some super secret, remote location on some part of the globe that we've never heard of?!? I guess they have a Starbucks with WiFi there eh? ...or are you using your private government satellite uplink to surf VAF?

Stay safe man!!! And don't worry about your Rocket. Butch and I will take GOOOOOD care of it until you're back!

- Peter

Peter,
Actually it is my private satellite uplink hooked to my computer and it gives me a warning alert when you're cellphone is getting close to my hangar.
Think I'm kidding? :D

i can't think of a single reason to not use flight following, it adds a lot of additional safety to the trip

the only reason i can think of is if you are flying 1,000 ft scenic route. other than that give them a call.

Flight following

I use it on all cross countries flying alone. On the recent trip to Vegas as a two ship, we contacted the appropriate center a reasonable distance east of Las Vegas so they could ensure suitable separation with commercial and military traffic.

It is all part of playing nice and co-existing. The one place that seems to confuse me is Chicago. Heading west once I was turned lose then a short time later ATC wondered why I was doing aerobatics. Fact is I was climbing for some reason and had they not turned me lose I could have relayed my intentions to them.

Peter,
Actually it is my private satellite uplink hooked to my computer and it gives me a warning alert when you're cellphone is getting close to my hangar.
Think I'm kidding? :D

Thanks for letting me know Jeff! I left my phone at home with Beth, bribed the guard, picked the lock and am sitting in your Rocket right now!!! I suppose this means I'll have to bail Beth out of jail tonight right? It's worth it!

traveling

Turbo, we worked hard on getting to your location in FL but as we worked our way down the coast from VA, we found way too much to do and ran out of time. This morning we departed N FL to head back north. Looks like my only opportunity to get back to the white tundra will be tomorrow.

PS - Perry - I believe you mentioned a good stop through GA was Franklin Co. We stopped here for fuel and we are over nighting here. Anyone heading south for sun n fun, this is a good stop with good fuel prices, car, shower room, great FBO.

Anyone heading down the East coast...we recommend stopping at Jekyll Island for great pizza. Talk to Rich and tell him we sent you, he will get you hooked up with an electric car and coupon for the pizza joint. St Simon is also a really great stop, we had a great 2 day stay there.

Hey Pete...how is the painting going on that 7 and when is it coming home from TX?

Jeff B...I found a guy on the road that wants to trade his mobile home, 2 dogs and a clean 1970 pickup (3500 ton) for that rocket...what do you think??? :D

Butch

Back