What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aviation Headsets

RV6AussieNick

Well Known Member
I hope I'm not starting a huge debate on Aviation Headsets..

I've done a bit of a search and found a few posts about problems with Bose headsets, So I'm wondering what is the most common Aircraft Headsets being used for GA flying, Either STD or ANR Headsets, David Clark, Bose, Lightspeed. What do you guys recommend.

Cheers,

Add "QT", "Halo", and "Clarity" to your search terms here on VAF, and sit back for hours of enjoyable reading.....

acro consideration

I have Bose, Zulu, and QT Halo, and I use them all regularly. They are all excellent headsets and work as well as advertised.

Here's some notes that are more relevant to us as rv drivers.

- The Zulu will come off when you're doing G's. It's no good for this mission. Outside of that shortcoming, it's equal to the X for noise/sound, and I find it more comfortable than the X on long xcntry due to less clamping pressure. The built-in blue tooth is also a plus since I don't have to fool with cables to make a phone call.
- The Headset X sits higher across the top of your head, so you might have less canopy clearance. It hangs on good for the acro. Clamping pressure doesn't bother me at all for short-medium flights, but it tends to get to me on long flights (+-3hrs), especially when wearing sun glasses.
- QT Halo is awesome for acro, and it's unbeatable for ergonomics for long flights, wearing sunglasses, etc. It's starting to become my favorite, but the bose and zulu are better for noise and sound quality, so I still like to have those around.

Again, I like them all, with very slight edges to one over another based on mission.

good luck.

I have David Clarks, Bose and Clarity Aloft's in my hangar and the set that I grab for nearly every flight are the Clarity Alofts. I've also owned the QT Halo's which are very nice but the Clarity Aloft's mic and audio performance seem to be higher quality than the QT Halo...of course they're more expensive too.

The Clarity Alofts win out for me most days based on comfort and sound quality. They seem just as quiet as my Bose headsets too. The David Clarks are left over from my training days.

- Peter

PS - I actually own two sets of the Clarty Alofts now because my wife tried them one day and REALLY wanted a set! I think she liked them because they didn't mess up her hair! :) Everyone has their own performance criteria! :rolleyes:

I hope I'm not starting a huge debate on Aviation Headsets..

I've done a bit of a search and found a few posts about problems with Bose headsets, So I'm wondering what is the most common Aircraft Headsets being used for GA flying, Either STD or ANR Headsets, David Clark, Bose, Lightspeed. What do you guys recommend.

Cheers,

It's a really personal thing - what someone really loves, someone else will hate.

I couldn't stand David Clarks, for example - they are certainly high quality, but for me, it was like clamping a vise on my head. Bose sounded good, but were uncomfortable after a short time. I tried others and then found the Flightcom Denali ANR headset and haven't used anything else since. For me, they're the shizzle.

I have a Halo and Clarity Aloft (bunch of other head clampers as well). And the winner is....Clarity Aloft!

Thanks for the feed back guys, you've mentioned some headsets that I wouldn't have even thought of considering. The research continues.

Cheers,

Back