What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Transition Training

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
I'll fly the new RV-8 soon so I'm studying insurance quotes. Global looks like the best deal, but they want 2 hours make/model with an approved instructor. The other three quoting underwriters are fine with 985TT, 745 tailwheel, and 60 RV-8A, but I like the Global policy package better.

The problem is obvious. They'll accept 4, 6, or 7 time, but I'm not sure I can get any kind of tailwheel RV transition around here (mid-south Alabama).

Suggestions?

Fly it for a few months on the less ideal policy and then switch when you've got 10-15 hours?

Just a thought.

Tom Irlebeck

Tom did mine he has an RV8, check with the Minnesota wing, I cant find the business card. Very thorough.

This is a big help...keep it up, good archive material too.

Yes, if I can't find a convenient way to get those two hours I'll go with another underwriter. One offers similar extended coverage at about $350 additional premium, others the same basic items at about the same premium.

Global will accept the two hours in a 4, 6, or 7.

Dan,

I think a CFI with a -6, -7 (perhaps -9) should step up and set you up. They can do it "pro rata" (for beer). JMO

I'd do it for free if you were up Norte.

Dan, I don't have the numbers, but as suggested, getting the two hours may cost more than starting with the more expensive insurance that does not require two hours.

Can you cancel one insurance policy and go with another after two-three months with no adverse effects?

Dan,
You are going to love your -8. I went with Kent Gorton and it was the BEST avbucks that I ever spent. Be sure to get some spin training out of him.

Spoke with Kent this afternoon....he is close by (less than 200 miles) and has a -6 we can fly. I also just heard from my agent; the underwriter is now accepting an informal transition with an approved RV8 owner. Probably do that this weekend. If comfortable I'll call it good. If not I'll go fly with Kent and get comfortable.

Thanks for the help gang!

As they say, the rest of the story.....

Went over to Atlanta today and flew with Kent Gorton in a -6. What a hoot! Conditions were just right to make the student work hard.....limp sock to straight out, dead crosswind variable 60 degrees or so, front quarter then rear quarter. Flew from both directions since neither was into the wind for more than a minute or two.

I suspect I'm typical in many ways....I've been flying a Legend Cub the last three years so I started out overcontrolling the RV. Under such conditions the Cub would require a lot of stick stirring. The -6 needed fingertips, and I needed the reminder.

Kent is very good to fly with, calm, verbal, and on top of things. If my early landing attempts scared him, at least he didn't look it ;). Flew stalls and fun stuff in addition to pattern work, the went back to the barn to look at his collection of Ryans. Definitely on the recommended transition instructor list.

Anyway, a good day and worth the effort.

Fly it for a few months on the less ideal policy and then switch when you've got 10-15 hours?
That's what we did. Now I think that we are with global through EAA/Falcon.
They wanted 5 in make and model or 5 dual. By the time we switched, I had 50 hours in it.

Kent has ice water running through his veins. My 10 hours with him were the best training bucks that I have spent. There was no doubt when I left that I could manage my RV. We also did spin training and night landings. As I found out, landing a taildragger at night is quite a bit different than landing in daylight.

Dan: Who were the other 3 underwriters? Glad you had some good -6 time. Gonna fly soon?

Chartis, Global, Paulk, and Starr. Global and Starr offered (in my opinion) the best coverage, but not necessarily the same coverage.....you really need to read the offers, ask questions, and look for the best fit with your needs. For example I placed special emphasis on rental hangar coverage, as I tend to be aggressive about protecting my airport and thus want to avoid giving the city any leverage regarding my hangar lease....the lease includes an insurance requirement. Another underwriter offered an open pilot clause, which is hard to get these days. However, none of my local buddies have any RV time, so with this airplane it's not a big plus for me. If I still had my L-4 it would be a big deal....plenty of qualified pilot friends.

Jeff said this minimal transition training requirement was a new thing at Global. Things change, and anyway, I suspect it is subjective with each underwriter's representative.....a murky matrix of TT, tailwheel time, time in type, other types, etc.

"Good -6 time" isn't possible for me. I'm 6-3, 220, have size 13 feet and wear a 36-37 sleeve. Right arm is against the wall, wrist bent back on the stick. Worse, I must pull my heels rearward and toe-point the rudder bars like some kind of elephant ballerina, or risk unintended brake application. It was still fun, but we had to stop from time to time to unkink the old guy. It was good for me, but I couldn't own one, a personal problem. Like I told Kent, blame the height on God and the extra 20 pounds on me ;)

Now, where did I leave those -8 keys.....?

Last edited:
Insurance

Guess the -8 is a good fit for you. Did you do the tall pilot option? May your big day arrive soon! Thanks for your reply. Bill

Back