What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing tires, new tube required?

Required?

• Yes

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 47 68.1%

• Total voters
Yes, you should. The tube does take a beating........ I never did like the cost of the tube though.

I'm going to say no, it's not necessary, however, while you've got the wheel apart, I'd be tempted to stick a new one in there unless you're using leakstops. Anyway, just my 2 cents...

One thing to consider. Imagine taxiing at an airport away from home and the tube fails. Now consider the cost to repair it at an FBO (if open) versus the cost of a new tube.

Yes

One thing to consider. Imagine taxiing at an airport away from home and the tube fails. Now consider the cost to repair it at an FBO (if open) versus the cost of a new tube.

I have to agree with Ron. While it may not be necessary for local flying, it really sucks to have a flat on that old tube when far away from home.

NO!!!!

I have a tube, (Goodyear) that I retired from my 1946 Aeronca Champ. The date stamped on the tube is Nov. 1946. (Sold the Champ to buy kit parts.) It had started to lose air but I suspect that it was the stem, not the tube.

I have Michelin Air Stops on my RV-8 and I check the air yearly at the condition inspections.:D

You stand just as much chance of pinching a new tube as you do an old one if you're not careful. 99% of the problems are with the valve stems in my experience. YMMV.

Of course the tire makers would love to sell more. You're gonna do what you wanna and if that's what makes you comfortable on the road, go for it.

49clipper

Yes, definitely change the tube. As an AP/IA, I have always done that and if you look close you usually see wear. Why chance it. It is recommended by the tire folks too.

Tube changes

I have done 6 tire changes in Thorp and RV6A, there was plenty of tire talc on all changes. I was very carefull not to pinch, it must have been being oldest brother to 5 brothers and sisters changing many bike tires. I say inspect and reuse, my guess is 5 or 6 years would be very safe replacement terms on normal use 50 to 60 hours per year.

The problem is stretch.....

....and because a used tube is now oversized, you have a good chance of having folds and there's where it'll more than likely fail.

The bigger the tire, the greater the stretch.

Best,

....and because a used tube is now oversized, you have a good chance of having folds and there's where it'll more than likely fail.

The bigger the tire, the greater the stretch.

Best,

I agree with Pierre and that is why I don't change them every time. I think the professionals and companies giving advice and publishing statements are making comments for all sizes of tires and the bigger they are the more chance of a fold. Therefore the smaller the tire, the least chance so with 500x5 being smaller than most, I use plenty of talc and be careful not to pinch and I buy the good stop leak or leakguard tubes and reuse them. Just my two cents.
FWIW, I just moved up to Flight Custom II's so the tires would cost more than the tubes....

Back