What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Copperstate Fly-in

butch

Well Known Member
I am flying down to the Copperstate Fly in from central MN and am looking for information on airports to stop at, things to see, aviation salvage/bone yards, neat airparks, etc along the way. Our flight path will be from MN toward CO toward AZ. I will be leaving the week of the 20th.

Anyone in the AZ area with an open invite on a place to stay or a place to camp, let me know!

Thanks, Butch

Cheap fuel at La Junta CO and St Johns AZ

Airports to consider:

Sedona AZ

Leadville CO

Liberal KS has a good aviation museum

If not familiar with mountain flying review the AOPA course , watch winds at altitude and consider staying east of the front range heading down there. Example go to La Junta then towards Las Vegas NM, towards Double Eagle (AEG), St Johns then Copperstate. Avoid higher terrain and other problem areas as required.

You are not far from the Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, White Sands, and many National Parks in Utah.

A great stop is Goulding's lodge at Monument Valley Utah. Great scenery, a restaurant, hotel, and museum all a short walk from the airstrip. The strip is private but everyone is welcome. It is sloped and one way in/out, but plenty long.

Hi Butch,
Full service avgas is supposed to be $3.80 at the event, so dont fly in with full tanks. :eek:

When I flew out to Copperstate in 2001, I had to adjust my Midwest geographic perspective! In other words, they've got some big rocks out that way. I spent mornings out exploring and afternoon/evenings back at the show. Went to Sedona for breakfast, Grand Canyon for a bus ride to the rim, Meteor Crater for the obligatory photo opportunity, etc. I wish I would have gone up to Monument Valley too. Trip details and pictures are on my web site if you are interested.

You will probably be landing at density altitude higher than what you are used too. Keep the speed up on landing approach. With the Rocket, takeoffs won't be much of an issue.

Back