What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Private Airpark

butch

Well Known Member
I am looking for information on Wolf airpark south of Houston, TX, or any other airparks in that area. If you are familiar with this area, can you please provide me with information on the airpark and the surrounding areas?

I appreciate the info, thanks for your time!
Butch

airpark

Thanks Rich. I've collected all the data pretaining the local private strips. I'm after more information such as: the overall condition and the atmosphere of the airpark, the types of hanger/housing being builts, covenance information, type of flying in the area, home builts, etc.

My interest is to find an airpark that I could build a hanger (approx 50x60), 4/12 pitch roof with a 1200' living area that would be seasonal. My flying interests are in home builts, warbirds, sail planes.

I am currently building an F1 Rocket.
I am flying a 135 hp supercub.

A hanger home does not necessarily have to be in TX, just happens to be a few on the market, but I would be open to other locations as well.

Thanks,
Butch
RV7 sold
RV9 sold
RV4 sold

Hi Butch,

First, there was a very good summary of Houston air parks on this thread earlier today:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=33834

I have landed occasionally at Wolfe, and to tell you the truth, Jon's description as "rough" is even a bit kind. If you're not too interested in fancy housing and the like, and don't mind your neighbors possibly raising goats and chickens, then it could be a nice hide-away from cold weather.

If you're looking for a nice permanent home with strong covenants, etc....then you probably want to look elsewhere. If you don't mind being farther away from a big city, I think they are trying to build up Lake Livingston's airpark.

Paul

Aero Estates

If you're just looking for a southern getaway, like Paul said, Lake Livingston is a good option. The lots are cheap but they're a long taxi to the runway -- but the paved runway is great and owned by the city. The airpark is pretty lowbrow. The lots are just bare 1 or 2 acre tracts, but the local area is really pretty, with tall pines and rolling hills. The lake is close, but the nearest public boat ramp is probably five miles. Livingston is big enough for a Wal-mart but the nearest movie theater is probably Conroe or Kingwood -- about an hour away. Houston is two hours.
http://www.livingstonairpark.com/

Personally, I much prefer my airpark (where I plan to retire), Aero Estates on Lake Palestine. It's not sub-tropical like Houston or Livingston, but it still doesn't much colder. The area is piney-woods and the lake is very clear (unlike Livingston). The airpark owns the lake front and has a seaplane ramp. The homes are a mix of hangar/homes and separate houses and are modest but still very attractive. It doesn't have the run-down feel that airparks tend to get when they allow hangar/homes. It's a half-hour drive to Tyler, which is a small city with all the amenities. Three hours to Houston. 1.5 to Dallas. Better move fast, though. They're about sold out.
http://www.aeroestatesairpark.com/

Airpark

Thanks for the info! I have been able to obtain additional information on the airparks on these sites.

Keep the info coming on these airparks!

Butch

Back