What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FLYLED products

Flyleds Works

You don't have to listen to me because I sell them, but we've had nothing but positive feedback from our customers on the Flyleds kits.

If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, the leading edge spotlights are probably the way to go... a Combo Light in each wing plus the Flyleds Original kit totals $9 more than the Works kit and gets you one additional spotlight in each wing (for a total of 8 spot LEDs outputting 1200 lumens each), and the light is a little better placed in the LE since the lights won't be shuttered by the outward face of the wingtip lighting cove.

If you're not keen on putting in the LE lighting cove for one reason or the other, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Works kit either.

I just assembled mine last night. (I ordered the works kit with the tail light too) Most fun I've had building in a while. The quality of the product and instructions is top-rate. Very thoughtfully laid out and packaged.

I'm looking forward to installing in my wingtips tonight and lighting up the garage like a christmas disco party.

Last edited:
Howdy Ross. I have "The Works" installed in new, unused, uncut RV-7 wing tips I am looking to sell as a package. Includes all pieces that originally came with "The Works" kit as well as the tail strobe. Documentation, new wire harnesses, etc., etc. Email or PM if interested. I have a lot of pictures.

FlyLeds

Mine are not flying but they are installed. I gotta say, it was fun. Don't look at any of them or you will be seeing spots for a while!
20200810_140512.jpg

i don't have the works, but I do have one of the first sets of "flat top" lights that paul sent to the us. (there is a picture of mine on their web site) they are fantastic and paul is great to work with if you have any problems.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Yes! Since Sept 2020 LOVE them. #Xbright I built them myself, very easy and fun. Extremely bright, taxi or taxi/landing light. When Landing or Taxi lights or on and Strobes are off, the Strobes light up at 30% for extra light and side lighting to see the edge of the taxiway. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 14 build and I will use them again. #FlyLED

Anyone have experience with “The Works” as landing lights, or should I think about leading edge landing lights? Thx!

Attachments

• IMG_6327_jpg.jpg
    IMG_6327_jpg.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_9736_jpg.jpg
    IMG_9736_jpg.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_6722.jpg
    IMG_6722.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 413
I have the Combo Leading edge landing/taxi light and I have had tower comment on how bright my airplane is from 10 miles away, same day another RV asked about them. They really are amazing, makes me feel much more comfortable flying at night being able to see so much further.

Choice of wire and connectors?

Successful test of the position lights and strobes so far. Next step is to buy and install wire. As long as I use the correct wire gauge, and shielded cable when required, can any highly-rated Amazon product be used? Solid wire vs. stranded? Pure copper vs. copper-clad aluminum, etc.? What’s best? And any advice on using connectors?

Successful test of the position lights and strobes so far. Next step is to buy and install wire. As long as I use the correct wire gauge, and shielded cable when required, can any highly-rated Amazon product be used? Solid wire vs. stranded? Pure copper vs. copper-clad aluminum, etc.? What’s best? And any advice on using connectors?
My advice - buy your stuff from this site and you can be sure it will be good, and is appropriate for aviation use.

https://www.steinair.com/

Amazon stuff might be excellent, or it might be garbage - really hard to know unless you do your homework. Buying from Steinair removes the hassle of validating the components. You still have to buy the right ones, sizes, etc.

A/C Wiring

Ross, Read through some of the electrical wiring info in the AC 43.13.

Aircraft wiring is different than other because it needs to withstand vibration, temperature, fire resistance, etc. Multi-stranded tefzel wire is what you want. Use aircraft grade wiring. It's not that much more expensive (few cents/bucks), but the peace of mind is hard to value.

As for FlyLED's, I can't recommend them enough! Excellent! I've them mine in my -7 for about a year now and couldn't be happier. They represent everything that's awesome about EAA. It's a far superior product to the certified stuff at a much better price. Paul's support and communication are excellent. No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

Last edited:
FlyLed are a great product

I did have some trouble in putting mine together and Paul was outstanding in his service to help.

I have installed only one spot in each wingtip too provide taxi lights and next to one I have the Prometheus leading edge landing light. When i turn both on from about 35 feet from the hangar door the taxi ( flyled spot) is as bright or possibly even brighter than the Prometheus. I paid 400 Cdn for the Prometheus and 50 USD for the Flyled spot. You cant use the single spot for landing light I dont think but they are close in brightness that far away.

Be very vigilante while building and I am sure you will love them.

Dave

I had the 2 leading edge , " Duck Works" mounted landing lights with the one 50 watt halogen bulb. They were nearly worthless. I swear, I could not tell if the landing lights were off or on until I got to my hangar and could see they were shining on the hangar across from mine. (PS I checked the aiming and it was correct!)

I bought the Fly LEDs system for 2 bulbs in each wing. I can see the numbers on the end of the runway at least a half mile out!

I have friends who have 3 or 4 in each wing; that must light up the whole airport!

I was impressed enough with getting 4 times the light for 1/3rd for the load that I replaced all of the lights: position, and strobes with Fly LEDs.

Vince sells them for the same prices as ordering them from down under!

I had the 2 leading edge , " Duck Works" mounted landing lights with the one 50 watt halogen bulb. They were nearly worthless. I swear, I could not tell if the landing lights were off or on until I got to my hangar and could see they were shining on the hangar across from mine. (PS I checked the aiming and it was correct!)

I bought the Fly LEDs system for 2 bulbs in each wing. I can see the numbers on the end of the runway at least a half mile out!

I have friends who have 3 or 4 in each wing; that must light up the whole airport!

I was impressed enough with getting 4 times the light for 1/3rd for the load that I replaced all of the lights: position, and strobes with Fly LEDs.

I did the same thing recently and it looked a lot like this. https://www.rushesroost.com/post/rv-8-and-the-flyleds

Simple two step process.

I tested the first Works kit on the RV10...........watch the video. It is all answered there. (1)

Then order them. (2)

:)

Actually, it's Blake, my son, at www.flyboyaccessories.com that sells them.

Blake is FlyLED's/Paul McVitty's U.S. rep. You can meet Paul and Blake at our Oshkosh display in the North homebuilt display area this Summer.... Covid permitting, of course.

Wingtip connections

Ready to connect wires to the “Original” wingtip lights. I can run the wires directly to the boards, but it looks like it would be smart to have something that is easily detachable (e.g., spade connectors) so I can remove the wingtip for service. OK to run about 12” of 18 AWG from the wingtip board to connectors? If so, should the 12” be shielded? Or just have enough incoming spare wire to detach the wingtip but place it atop the outboard end of the wing?

Ross,

Adding a service loop of wire like you describe would be a convenient thing to do. Shielded wire shouldn't be necessary.

Flyleds

I’ve installed two sets (in a 7 and a 10) and love them. Blake is prepping another two sets for me now, I’m excited to finally be having the works on my 10 and the new 8 I’m building. What a great bang for your buck! Thanks Flyboy.

Ready to connect wires to the “Original” wingtip lights. I can run the wires directly to the boards, but it looks like it would be smart to have something that is easily detachable (e.g., spade connectors) so I can remove the wingtip for service. OK to run about 12” of 18 AWG from the wingtip board to connectors? If so, should the 12” be shielded? Or just have enough incoming spare wire to detach the wingtip but place it atop the outboard end of the wing?
Hi Ross
No need for another plug and socket as the wingtip boards already have the green four pin plug and socket arrangement on them.
The plug has a red dot on it in this picture.

harness plug Sml.jpg
If you do choose to fit another one unshielded wire will be fine.

I have Paul’s FLYLEDs in the wingtips of my -7. Enjoyed soldering up the kit. Painted the board red to match the wings. Very bright and visible. I also used his wigwag module to run the AeroSun leading edge LEDs off the same switch as my landing lights. Amazing visibility now.

Back