What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tightening RV8 NAS1804 Landing gear nuts

Mikeyb

Well Known Member
I made this offset socket to torque the nuts in the gear towers. It’s a 12 point 7/16 socket driven by a 1/4” drive 9/16 crowfoot wrench and brazed tougher. The 1” offset allows you to reach under the vent lines. You do have to compensate for the offset in torque setting but It’s pretty easy to use.

Attachments

• 8A4A0079-BB52-4E25-97D6-582323A82AD5.jpeg
    8A4A0079-BB52-4E25-97D6-582323A82AD5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 548
Thanks
You can grind off the margins of the crowfoot to get more wrench clearance.
Mike

I was talking to myself about how much that wrench cost. I bought both the socket and crowfoot from McMaster. Built the way it is shown it drops right on the nut and you get just enough rotation to move one flat on the nut.

Thanks. I will just get the 1/4" Crow foot, replicate your design, and quit being so cheap. Have to spend the kids inheritance somehow; what better way than on aviation and tools!

This would be a fairly easy tool to make just using the 1/4 inch extension, a piece of steel, socket and welding it all together. Most of us have the cheap HF stuff sitting around anyway.

I have made numerous modified tools and this is an example of another one.

Good idea!

I made this offset socket to torque the nuts in the gear towers. It’s a 12 point 7/16 socket driven by a 1/4” drive 9/16 crowfoot wrench and brazed tougher. The 1” offset allows you to reach under the vent lines. You do have to compensate for the offset in torque setting but It’s pretty easy to use.
Thank you for posting this. Tom Doran (local RV-8A guy) welded one up for me using 3/8” drive socket and crows foot then ground down the crows foot edge after welding. Now the rear nuts in the tower are easy to do.
Carl
6-FA0-F7-D5-7-B75-4-AEB-8-D62-9216-B00-E1-AAC.jpg

E616-A2-DA-7099-4770-B5-A9-51-CAE18-D10-A5.jpg

What's the process for compensating for the offset in torque?

Back