What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sad day ...

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Just dropped my 14 off for paint ... no plane for 6 weeks :(

ots.jpg

I've been speaking with Jonathan and will be using his shop. I'll be very interested to hear the details of your experience with his design and painting services.

If I know Jonathan, it will look gorgeous! Can't wait to see what it will look like.

I've been speaking with Jonathan and will be using his shop. I'll be very interested to hear the details of your experience with his design and painting services.

Ken, I just got mine painted by Jonathan. He does outstanding work. I have been very pleased. I've had two planes painted by Jonathan. A Cirrus and my RV-8. I am considering joining the rank of repeat offenders and should I do so, I'll have Jonathan paint that one too.

Here are pix of both planes that Jonathan painted:

N56PN.jpg

N678MT.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Gorgeous RV-8!! I'm also partial to eye-catching paint schemes (see pic of my old -8 below) and am already looking forward to working with Jonathan on something neat for my -14A.

I'm still some ways out, as I'm hoping to fly toward the end of next year, but I'll be staying in touch with him as my build progresses.

File-Mar-22-11-13-55-AM-e1535048355931.jpeg

Hi Mark,

Gorgeous RV-8!! I'm also partial to eye-catching paint schemes (see pic of my old -8 below) and am already looking forward to working with Jonathan on something neat for my -14A.

I'm still some ways out, as I'm hoping to fly toward the end of next year, but I'll be staying in touch with him as my build progresses.

File-Mar-22-11-13-55-AM-e1535048355931.jpeg

Man, I LOVE your old paint scheme! I'd be tempted to do that one again, perhaps with a few tweaks just so it would be a little different. Beautiful scheme!

I'm painting my own plane and it's an endless job. I console myself that it will cost me less than $1,000...that is if I ever get it done.

I very briefly considered try that myself, but I know I'd botch it up, plus I hate the chemicals!

Man, I LOVE your old paint scheme! I'd be tempted to do that one again, perhaps with a few tweaks just so it would be a little different. Beautiful scheme!

Thanks for the kind words; much appreciated. I loved that plane, its paint scheme, and the reception it garnered everywhere I landed. Though it made a couple of magazine features back in the day and was used on the cover of the EAA's painting handbook (though I absolutely did not shoot the paint myself), the biggest kick I got was people wanting their photos taken with the plane. That usually just happens to the big warbird guys. :)

I've thought about adapting it to the new plane, but it was hand airbrushed from end to end - I bet it would be pushing $30K to replicate today. As I'm electing to remain married (!), I'll have to come up with something different. Also, I've seen a few other guys with inferior versions of the same scheme in the years since, so it's definitely on to another idea for me. Gotta stay unique... :D

I'm starting to think about this quite a bit as I get closer to finishing my build.

I talked with a fellow pilot at my airport who just finished an RV-8A. He's gotten quotes from highly regarded shops in the 15K range. Found a shop around 10K that he's using. That's the only reference range I have myself.

What does a paint job cost? Help me with the budget for paint.
Mind if I ask how much the paint job cost? ballpark

I PM'd both of you guys but it will vary greatly based on what you want and what you want to spend, there are $5K paint jobs and $20K paint jobs.

Your best bet for budgeting purposes is to call around and get quotes.

I went with Johnathan and Evoke on reputation and after having seen an RV7 they did at my home airport, unbelievable quality. Hope mine turns out the same :)

It just so happens they are 30 minutes away from me but I would have gone a lot further to get the quality I want.

Edit: Also, you can tell these guys really care and it shows by how they treat you coming in and how well they listen to even your smallest requests. When we pulled in a crew of guys showed up to help us take the control surfaces off while others went around detailing different things they want to address during the paint process (fiberglass, etc). I'm about as OCD as they come but these guys are another level and I left with a smile on my face knowing I'd left my project in great hands.

Last edited:
GREAT CHOICE!

You've chosen the best designer and paint shop around! The product will likely exceed your expectations :)

Paint

Was just told to take a closer look at your picture. That is my RV10 parked right behind yours. Dropped it off a few weeks ago with Jonathon.
Cant wait to get it back. From all the other planes I have seen them do, I have to say we will be very pleased.

Bill,
Come fly in the 6A with me some. The six weeks will fly by. Let me know if you need a ride up there to get it.
Chris

Back