What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle lever action lineartiry help

mill2978

Well Known Member
In my RV8 the throttle lever has 90% of it's action in the first 30% of travel, the remaining 70% is only 10% of the action. This makes small power changes challanging, esp at the lower end. How can I adjust the throttle cable rod ends to make the action more evenly spread out across the range of motion of the lever? The rod ends are currently +/- 1 thread difference. Do I shorten the lever end and lengthen the throtle end or vice versa, is there a different adjustment I can make?

This is happening because at both ends, the throttle (quadrant style) and the throttle arm of the carb or injector are rotary motions, while the cable is a linear motion. To minimize the sensitivity, disconnect both ends. Set the throttle, carb arm at their mid points, and set the cable at half extension. Now arrange the cable clamping points and/or re-clock the carb/injector arms so the arm makes a right angle with the cable (both ends). This will minimize the over-sensitivity at one end of the range.

Back